Note to New Members ×

Sunapee.

EZE

I was there on monday for the powder day :1luvu:.

I'm pretty exclusively riding my new softie setup this year though. I'll break out my Coiler if I've got someone to hook up with though. I've got a pass to Sunapee, Gunstock, and Wildcat (LOVE being a College student again), and of them Sunapee is the best balance of driving distance and decency. My best friend has a gunstock-only pass, so that's where I'll be on the weekends.

I'm down to go to sunapee almost any day between now and the end of January.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Riding Friday afternoon, Sat and Sun mornings.

Weather should be warming, cloudy sat but mostly dry maybe some breaks of sun. Sunday will be warmer still but the rain will be approaching late afternoon and heavy after evening then changing back to snow late night.

Poached three runs yesterday and the snow was chalk making for some very good turns.

Won't be there past 10am either day.

• 3 weeks later...

Today was fantastic! The snow was firm, but not too hard and as close to hero conditions as you'll find this late in the season. The Sun was in and out of the clouds and it was snowing lightly most of the day. I cannot believe I almost went into work today! :freak3:

No crowds either, and on Thursdays your lift ticket gets you a free lunch. Doesn't get any better than that. Too bad my legs were done at 2 PM or I would have kept going.

I'd like to try and get there this weekend, but the only day open for me is Sunday and I'm not sure about the weather. I'll have to wait and see...

Are the typical Sunapee weekend crowds still around or are things more sane now? I'm planning on coming for the day tomorrow (Sunday), but if it's still crazy crowded, I'll pass.

If anyone was there today, I'd love a report on snow and crowd conditions. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

The first thing I learned this season (which will never happen again)

But listen to my warning.:nono:

Do Not Have baby making realtions with your wife from mid-May to August

it is a game changer to your carving season.

I'm taking Thursday off to say good bye looks to be last uncrowded sunshine day of the season.

They will be turning off the lifts Sunday at 4pm, no trying for Easter this year even with the amount of money they saved on snowmaking the ticket buyers aren't coming.

Still plenty of base, no holes and not very dirty yet. They have lowered run count midweek to save snow for weekend. Bring a carving tool for the morning ice and the fork for mashed potato after 11am.

Didn't see but heard there were several carvers on Sat. I took one run considered it crap and left(unhappy new Mommy) Saturday's melt was Sunday mornings frozen something, fighting to keep the edge dug in, made it for an hour(see 1st statement).

EZE

• 10 months later...

Sunapee was pretty good on Friday. The conditions tended to vary quite a bit. The morning started out hardpacked with frozen death cookies on top and soft manmade pp on the bottom. As the sun moved around the mountain it softened up a bit, but not too much. Overall I enjoyed it, except for the crowds. It felt more like a weekend/holiday than a weekday.

They have been blowin in anticipation of vacation weeks and no snow. Workforce is on reduced hours.

Snow on Saturday was beautiful on the top and corn on the bottom, hardest snow is always north peak first thing but flat light.

Sunday was great but I only ran the bottom of Flying Goose off the duck chair as it was cold.

The Sunapee base is best from 8 to 11, the crowds are bad unless you can move through the singles lines.

By afternoon you are down to boilerplate base with piles of corn on the sides or you can cruise

nice slow turns on south peak the snow stays longer over there or ride around the features in the park casue

those jibbers don't use it but big risk of getting tagged.

I carve from 8 to 10ish either bombing the trails under the quad or the north peak,

I never go into the slowbowl anymore with my limited run time.

EZE

Edited by EZE
typo

That was a blast from the past. A better carving mountain than I recall it as. Seems like the perfect

Place to bring someone to learn. There were no crowds at all, on the backside of the mountain the snow was firm chalk with a bit of dust on top. The front was sort of frozen slush on top of the same. The backside of the mountain was great.

• 3 weeks later...