Note to New Members ×

Low volume liner

Bora20

I have a set of UPZ RC-10 MP26.0. My feet are actually L26.5/R26.3 and I am having issues with tightness in the inner mid-foot area.

Obviously with the liner out there are no issues and the shells are labelled 25.5~26.5. I have the factory flo-liner installed.

I am thinking that a low volume liner would do the trick and would allow a bit more space in my problem area. Anyone have any recommendations?

Anything thicker and the same as I have now won't work. I was trying to find a set of cheap (used) 26~27 liners so that I could cut out the problem area to see if that might help, but I think a low volume liner would do the trick.

I am not even sure if we have a bootfitter at my hill, so options are a bit limited.

The Deeluxe Speed Black liners are quite thin, and moldable. The top ones on this page:

http://www.bomberonline.com/store/accessories/hpd_liner.cfm

I have a pair which came with the boots I bought. Turned out the boot shells were a half size too big, and the liner didn't take up enough room. I had to go back to my old gray Thermoflexes (which are now the red model) to fill the volume. There are probably others who had this same predicament who would sell you some black liners for cheap. Mine aren't your size. If not, you could support this site and buy new.

If you want a fairly dense, low volume, non-thermofit liner, shop your local used equipment stores for a pair of Nordica, Lange, or Salomon race boots.

The Dobermann liner will be the best quality, and warmest, while the Salomon will be the thinnest and coldest.

This option is viable if the contour of the shell (not just the length) is a very close match to your foot. Otherwise don't bother.

It may also be possible to remove one layer of material from your existing liners in the affected area.

Dan Yoja emailed me back right away and said to try the Intuition liners or ride with my middle buckle undone (the only one that is a problem) until the liner molds to my foot. He is really good about getting back to you right away. Awesome service.

This seems like a good idea for now and I will give it a shot. I got the Deeluxe GTS (GTI on the box) softboots today so that I can switch out boots and boards throughout the day to give my feet a rest. These are sweet and I will write up a review soon.

If I do need new liners, I will buy from YYKCanuck as it is a pain to get stuff direct from Bomber.

Bora - I don't think it's necessarily a liner volume issue - if you get any custom moldable liner, you'll prolly be better off than the stock liner.

In my experience, those black Deelux liners are junk - they're too thin and soft, don't provide enough support, and break down very quickly. I had them in a pair of new Deelux boots I got a couple years ago and didn't like them at all. The new red ones are much better quality. Why do you think Deelux changed from the black ones?

Loo - can you provide any more info on the X1 liner you mentioned? I too am looking for new liners - never had injected ones. Was thinking I'll prolly go w/ Intuition Power Wraps - almost every boot fitter/shop I talk to says they are a better way to go than injected liners - warmer and more comfortable. But I'm still intrigued by injected liners, if only cuz I've never had a pair. Cheers! mpp

I'm a huge fan of the Dalbello ID Gold liners, so my vote goes there. You can order them over the internet, but you should really have them moulded by someone who knows what they are doing.

I've tried Deeluxe thermo liners (not the new ones, the old crappy ones - ouch), I've tried the stock Flow Liners from UPZ ... which in my experience are absolutely terrible liners, and I've also been in the stock head liners. The Dalbello's blew them all out of the water: supportive, comfortable, firm, and very warm. They are also very easy to get into thanks to the silky material they are made of on the inside. They're not cheap at $250, but they're well worth it (though a lot cheaper than a pair of custom injected liners for sure).

I broke in a new pair of RC-10's last season and tried the stock liners for a few days ... very very painful, and I had similar problems where I could barely close the instep buckle. I switched the liners out for a pair of dalbellos and had no (major) problems after a proper moulding. Boots are somewhat downsized so I had to punch them out a bit in a few spots, but the liner switch got me like 90% there. I had been using Dalbellos in a pair of Head boots prior to that and they worked well in the Heads too (I switched to the RC-10's because the Heads were just way too roomy).

http://www.dalbello.it/en-GB/technology/id_thermo/

Custom injected liners like the new Surefoot X1 is the best thing you can do for yourself. They will fill in exactly where they need and not where they don't. A good percentage of the world cup riders are riding them and swear by it.

yep, injection liners are nice, so long as they are not over done. make sure whoever does yours has done many pairs already

Injected liners are designed to fill in the available space around the foot. They are warm (cause they allow blood flow) and the most comfortable thing out there that also is the best performing. When we test performance (i also test ski boots for Outside Magazine) we are looking for how quickly a boot transfers the skiers energy to the ski. Injected liners are always at the top of the list. They are hands down the most comfortable liners out there. (when they are done right). Essentially they are casted around your foot putting the perfect amount of padding in all the right places around your foot. As well, they last way longer then any other type of liner. My wife traveled the world cup and went to the olympics riding everyday with one pair... With others, she would never make one pair last all season. I have skied nearly 300 days on one pair (in three shells) and I still love them.) I have skied and ridden every type of liner under the sun and I can tell you without question a good injected liner is the best thing you can get. There are a few different injected liners out there. Conformable, Stroltz, nordica... Most are fairly similar. The new one from Surefoot called the X1 is a bit different. Full neoprene toe box that is way better fitting and warmer i think. Its also got a bit of softer material next to the body that just makes the liner feel a bit softer. There a bunch of other things about it that are different from past liners that I am sure they would love to tell you about if you went into a Surefoot.

I hope that this provides more information then confusion... a post like this could go on forever.

Happy Riding

Ari

Just wanted to pass this on f/ Michelle - Deeluxe is no longer producing the red thermo-liner for sale. The sizes Bomber has in stock, as listed on the website, are the only ones left.

There are still other options out there; The Dalbello's ($250), as QQ mentioned. Intuition ($180 for the PowerWrap). Garmont and Black Diamond ($160) also make their own thermo-liners that they put in their ski boots and are available for sale separately.

Here's some info on the Surefoot Contoura X1 liner. This Surefoot's own liner that they've designed - the one they used previously was from another company. Looks good, but it's not cheap @ $400. If you consider this liner, or any injected liner, may last 2-4 times longer than a thermo-foam liner, it's prolly the same price or cheaper in the long run.

Question about the Surefoot X1 liner:

I notice in the link that it is not a wrap, but rather a tongue design. How does the tongue stay put? I've had a few liners with tongues in the past, and one of my major complaints has always been that the tongue moves around too much (to the left or to the right - doesn't stay centered), on some boots the tongue also did not always stay centered over the lower foot, which could be very painful (though this was only a problem when you are putting on the boots initially). How are they combatting this? It seems like it would be much less of a problem for skiers than it would be for snowboarders.

Not doubting, as these liners get great feedback, just curious.

I notice in the link that it is not a wrap, but rather a tongue design. How does the tongue stay put? I've had a few liners with tongues in the past, and one of my major complaints has always been that the tongue moves around too much (to the left or to the right - doesn't stay centered), on some boots the tongue also did not always stay centered over the lower foot, which could be very painful (though this was only a problem when you are putting on the boots initially). How are they combatting this? It seems like it would be much less of a problem for skiers than it would be for snowboarders.

most have laces or a strap, yes, they do move but so do wrap liners if you look closely. on most of my boots excessive tongue travel indicated my top buckle being too tight or loose or a bad fit.

I've had a lot of boots and although with the thermo wrap liners it's easy to hit it right tongue liners in my experience have usually worked better in most shells but I had the luxury of being able to score tossed liners and being able to try lots of different ones. with wraps though it's usually mold and go, way less dicking around to get it right.

The tongue has a nice little plastic "ridge" going down the front that keeps it centered and also provides direct contact to the shell (it gets rid of the space between the top of the tongue and the shell). In the ones that I have made so far, the new tongue seems that it might eliminate the need for a booster strap for some people. As well, the tongue is made for your anatomy and the mold itself seems to hold it in the right spot... even for snowboarders!

The tongue has a nice little plastic "ridge" going down the front that keeps it centered and also provides direct contact to the shell (it gets rid of the space between the top of the tongue and the shell). In the ones that I have made so far, the new tongue seems that it might eliminate the need for a booster strap for some people. As well, the tongue is made for your anatomy and the mold itself seems to hold it in the right spot... even for snowboarders!

Ah - that makes sense - thanks for the info!

I have that liner in my TX Comp tele boots. Only skied them a few tims, but it's a very good liner. I always thought I would like a tongue style liner better than a wrap style, but after skiing the TX Comp's w/ the Speed liner, I'm not sure - I did get a little shin and instep pain from them. But beyond that it's a great liner. The style of tongue vs wrap is really up to preference. It uses Ultralon foam, which is what Intuition and almost all other moldable liners use.

• 11 months later...

Bringing this one back to the top as I acquired a set of UPZ 26.5 liners this summer for my 26.0/26.5 shells.

Carpet carving has shown increased room within the boot and I have no numbness when wearing them. I may have found the answer I was looking for.