Note to New Members ×

Binding Pad/Gasket Material?

scrapster

Does anyone know of a readily available material that I can use to replace the base pads on a pair of Phiokka bindings? I'm thinking that a thin, high density foam sheet with adhesive on one side would do the trick. A silicone-type material might also work.

there's some stuff available at auto stores that is a fairly dense material that's about the same thickness and slightly softer. not sure what the intended purpose was but I used some to modify a the shoot on a field mower.

my engineering was a total fail but the material was really rugged, it was basically constructed like a tire, rubber with some sort of mesh in the middle.

I'd be careful using anything that could be considered foam like neoprene or something because when the air gets driven out the **** can really compress and pack out.

Hmm, I'll have to stop by the local auto store and see what they carry--as well as the pond-liner option.

As for the foam, I was originally taken by the (albeit cheap) stomp pads that come with F2 and old ProFlex bindings. They're flexible but super dense foam, about 2mm thick. It reminds me of the material that used to come on the bases of the aluminum Ride softboot bindings.

This site has a bunch of different makeups of plastic sheeting material.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/

I am planning on ordering this 1/16 inch polypropylene to make a gasket that is missing from some bindings that I have.

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=15650&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1154&top_cat=181

I've used gasket material from automotive shops - mix of cork and rubber, very good, doesn't flex much; thin fake cutting board from Ikea is nice but creeps a bit; neoprenes come in all lot of various densities, some hardly compress at all...

Dollar stores sometimes have cheap silicone hot-pot mats, or glass casters.

I do not remember Phiokka model, but it was expensive piece of crap. Not happy with it and never buy another one. I do not see difference, but my sheets are only 1/16” thick. Only what is the difference soft ones are much easier to cut. Main reason for me was top sheet protection from TD1 base disks these were very roughly machined.