Note to New Members ×

Going Solo This Year

RDY_2_Carve

I would not call my self a follower but I really seem to have some of my best carving days with a pack.

There are couple people I ride with that have tunes as loud as I do, Carvefather, ToolDip, and we are about the same speeds, we really dont say much while we are on snow, just when we are in the chairs. Single line is not just for when yer alone:eplus2:

Riding alone you tend to do runs that are challenging yet comfortable at your own pace, alone with your thoughts about what run/technique felt best, this will advance your riding way faster than paceing the slowest member of a convoy.

If I ride by myself, I always tend to stick to the runs I know and feel comfortable on. I really don't push myself at all when I'm on my own. That's why riding with a group is a challenge that I need and look forward too from time to time.... even if it is just to keep up! Since I've been an instructor for so many years, I get my social fix in the locker room or at lineups, but when I'm freeriding, it's usually me (or trailing along with the kid!) I guess if I found someone who was a good match...

Yeah, I'm a loner too much of the time. It does push my limits when I ride with others though. And the singles line as C5 said is a plus. And I always have interesting conversation with people on the chair. If they don't have their stupid mind numbing headphones in! That's another thread in itself.:nono:
Ed, come ride with us at Whitefish at the end of January! I'd love to ride with you sometime too, but I really doubt I'd be much of a challenge. If you ever want to come out to Lookout on a Sunday, let me know!

Lines in NM aren't bad unless it's spring break or xmas to new years.

Singles Line is empty most of the time so you can go straight to the lift for the most part. Save maybe a couple minutes per run on average I guess riding singles vs riding with a group...

While the time savings is nice I don't see myself doing full days riding solo. With faster laps I could see myself cutting out a bit earlier than normal to beat the traffic coming down the mountain.

I'd say the worst part of me not having my riding buddies is I probably won't road trip this year. We normally do at least one road trip to southern CO like Wolf Creek for early season snow. Or a Monarch Invasion. Some years we've even went up to Summit County to hit Copper or Breck. It's just not the same doing 4+ hour drives solo. Granted I drove to Aspen for SES by myself and that was 8+ hours, but it's just so much more enjoyable when you have company.

Hey John, I hear ya. I can carve by myself for 2-3 hours, then it gets too boring. Now powder and trees I can ride for much longer and be happy :)

We'll plan on Angelfire again this year and are stoked to try Santa Fe -- so hopefully we can meet up there? It'll be all post-spring-break.

• 1 month later...

I ride solo most of the time...

In the three years I lived in Aspen.. I rode fewer than 100 runs with others..

Sometimes its just a terrain thing... they want to ride trees...I don't ...other times they are slow. I also had 100% free time.. they worked.

Solo isn't bad.. you have time to dial in your gear without having others wait..

You don't have to ride when you are tired or quit too early.

Eat when you want..

You'll actually get better riding solo... you pay more attention to your form..and try new things out.

some sports are Solo, this is one of those...

So true.

Even when you're riding with other people, you're still sort of alone.

I like both. While I wouldn't want to ride solo every single time, I have no problems riding solo. Oddly enough, every time I've gone out solo this season, i've run into other hardbooters.

But, like others have said, riding solo definitely has it's advantages. I get to ride at my own pace (whether faster or slower), do what i want - take which ever runs i want, no need for coordination, no waiting/being waited on, take off late/early, stop for a beer at 9am, practice switch carving, etc. etc.

I definitely enjoy the company when it's around though. I wouldn't want to ride everyday solo, but I definitely still have lots of fun riding solo and on occasion enjoy it more (it really just depends on the day and my mood).

I am of two minds about this - I have started riding solo this year and there are both upsides and downsides.

As someone new to the sport, I find that riding with other people pushes me to try new things and I learn so much from watching other people and discussing runs and technique. Carvers are always so keen to give me advice and help, which has helped me learn so much. First time out, I bumped into some one who gave me one tip that has revolutionized my riding this season already!

It is easier to stay home where it is warm after work when there is no other carvers on the hill. If I know I am going to be solo, sometimes heading out for a few hours after work takes a lot more motivation. Dark, cold, hungry!

However, I am really starting to enjoy being out there by myself. There is something to doing the same run over and over again to work on technique and just be. I just do what I want and do not need to rush to get to the lift line quickly so that the others don't have to wait for me. I can do my own runs at my own time, and I have more time now to tweak my gear.

All this to say, when I get my act together - being out there alone is great, but I don't want to do it all the time. I like the company and I like learning from others.

I would have to agree.... I do learn a lot by riding with others.... kinda like when I was a kid I had to keep up with big brother and that made me get better! I ride a lone a lot, well..... not really.... my 9 year old daughter is with me on her skis. I try to get to some kind of group thing from bomber at least once a year. I'll stick with my quote... that's where I get my "inspiration and motivation." Looks like this year I'll make it to two! WTF and NICE yipee!!!!

When you ride with others...

either.

A. They are faster than you...and you learn nothing just struggling to keep up and avoiding crashing.

B. You are faster, but don't want to get passed...so you don't try new things.

Take the time to figure out the hill, best lines, and your gear..

Take time to figure out your gear's shortcomings..and figure out how you will compensate.

DO the same run.... over and over... the same line... until you can not improve upon it....

Then find a new line.

Choose carving lines that are constantly slightly harder to do...

Carve airborne over that knoll that rattles your nerves.. 1 inch off the ground your first run, 2 inches the second, and if you don't feel improvement... stay there until you change something that makes you more comfortable.

Do stuff that the pack would never tolerate.

It is great to carve in a pack. Dave Dutton and Vin Queneville led a great pack of riders in the 1990's... but honestly... I had fun but learned nothing .

Ride solo..and when you find someone better.. tag along..

Spend 2 full days dialing in your stance... then change a technique and dial in a new stance to optimize the technique before you discard that technique as ineffective..

If it doesn't work..take the time to try the opposite.

Try tuning your board differently..

Be the lone racer.

Analyze your run from the lift.

As you improve... the fun/thrill increases exponentially without even trying.

What John suggested is exactly the stuff that I have been doing solo for the past 12 years- it was so spot on to my regular training regimen that it was uncanny.....

I started doing it that way after I had a chance to ride the Mt. Baker chairlift with the late Craig Kelly in the late 90's - they used to call him "The Engineer" because of the systematic way he approached snowboard training- he suggested a version the same drills that John Gilmour did to help you improve.