Note to New Members ×

Milkman says Surfs Up...

softbootsurfer

I thought it was a compilation of riders, my bad. The Milkman has a certain style that can be seen on the clip along with the ponytail. He throws himself into the turn more than might be necessary. A very committed turn initiation that is a reminder of our surfing roots. Thanks for the vid!

Mark

I thought it was a compilation of riders, my bad. The Milkman has a certain style that can be seen on the clip along with the ponytail. He throws himself into the turn more than might be necessary. A very committed turn initiation that is a reminder of our surfing roots. Thanks for the vid!

Mark

Love It Mark! All the Surfers I know, Surf the Mountain

Have a Great Season!

Thanks SBS!

Pure Carve guys are my favorite crowd to watch!

Someone told me before and this close up slomo confirmed it, Cliff rides with HUGE underhang on the front foot! Surf background showing, I guess... I always struggle to initiate my toeside carves with too much underhang.

A question: Are these mostly older clips? In other words, is Ahumada still on a Maverick, or he switched to a newer board?

Thanks SBS!

Pure Carve guys are my favorite crowd to watch!

Someone told me before and this close up slomo confirmed it, Cliff rides with HUGE underhang on the front foot! Surf background showing, I guess... I always struggle to initiate my toeside carves with too much underhang.

A question: Are these mostly older clips? In other words, is Ahumada still on a Maverick, or he switched to a newer board?

Not sure what you mean by HUGE underhang? The clip is from last year. I still ride my Mavericks. I demo boards for fun throughout the season. I still ride Nordica boots and sno pro bindings.

Wow, that's a great perspective that Cliff (Ahumada) used for the slo-mo video. And, I did not realize that he was using clothing and equipment that changed color while carving. This is truly a breakthrough in fashion awareness for all of us carvers. :)

Mark

I know...my wife tells me I am a walking fashion statement!

Mark

I may throw myself into turns, but never felt it was more than necessary. Way easier to ride without the pony tail. My roots are surfing, my vision is surfing when carving. That really bothers some on Bomber for whatever reason, that I refer to my style of riding as "surfstyle carving". Its not surfing, its snowboarding with a vision and feel that myself and some other surfers have when laying it out and working the hill depending on conditions, crowds, tide, wind, swell size and direction! My favorite swell direction at the Milk is out of the north w/ a touch of west.

Not sure what you mean by HUGE underhang? The clip is from last year. I still ride my Mavericks. I demo boards for fun throughout the season. I still ride Nordica boots and sno pro bindings.

Hi Cliff, great to have you in the discussion! It's about your wonderful riding, after all ;)

Please note that nothing I said was in a manner of criticism. As I said, I admire your riding and films. It is all just for the matter of interest.

I said huge underhang, as it looked, from that perspective, there was about 3 fingers of space between the board's toe edge and the boot. I couldn't really judge the heel side. I really do no initiate the toeside turns well with lots of underhang on the front boot. What is the secret? Initiation mostly by the rear boot, ebnabled by relativelly narrow stance?

Oh, by the way, I rode in Nordica ski boots for couple of seasons, just to shift over to Dalbellos :) Love my Snowpros too, besides the Bombers and Proflex/Carve RS.

Ride on!

I may throw myself into turns, but never felt it was more than necessary. Way easier to ride without the pony tail. My roots are surfing, my vision is surfing when carving. That really bothers some on Bomber for whatever reason, that I refer to my style of riding as "surfstyle carving". Its not surfing, its snowboarding with a vision and feel that myself and some other surfers have when laying it out and working the hill depending on conditions, crowds, tide, wind, swell size and direction! My favorite swell direction at the Milk is out of the north w/ a touch of west.

Cliff: Well said, my friend, well said. Let me qualify my 'more than necessary' comment above: If you or anyone has ever seen the film documentary 'Dogtown', or been sitting in a surf lineup, or sessioned a pool or skatepark, or had a bitching carving day on the slopes, we've all experienced that moment when we concentrate our rage, angst, concerns of the day or week, and focus all of our energies into the next run or next move or trick. Aggression. This aggression is not meant to harm or destroy in a permanent sense. It's an expression that allows us as surfers, skaters, or carvers to express our commitment to line, style, and focus on the moment. Board sports are a dance form that allow for all types of expression from the dancer. Aggro-riding styles are what I cut my teeth on. Your style of diving and driving into the turn is what I was trying to convey in my 'more than necessary' comment. Not so much a compliment as a way of saying that this guy is saying something with his riding. He's dancing, driving, diving, and he owns this hill. I look forward to seeing your riding style on video as much as I can. Your aggro style tells me you are surfer first and you carry this over to your on-hill antics. Keep that stoke up my friend!!!

Still riding my Maverick,

Mark

Cliff: Well said, my friend, well said. Let me qualify my 'more than necessary' comment above: If you or anyone has ever seen the film documentary 'Dogtown', or been sitting in a surf lineup, or sessioned a pool or skatepark, or had a bitching carving day on the slopes, we've all experienced that moment when we concentrate our rage, angst, concerns of the day or week, and focus all of our energies into the next run or next move or trick. Aggression. This aggression is not meant to harm or destroy in a permanent sense. It's an expression that allows us as surfers, skaters, or carvers to express our commitment to line, style, and focus on the moment. Board sports are a dance form that allow for all types of expression from the dancer. Aggro-riding styles are what I cut my teeth on. Your style of diving and driving into the turn is what I was trying to convey in my 'more than necessary' comment. Not so much a compliment as a way of saying that this guy is saying something with his riding. He's dancing, driving, diving, and he owns this hill. I look forward to seeing your riding style on video as much as I can. Your aggro style tells me you are surfer first and you carry this over to your on-hill antics. Keep that stoke up my friend!!!

Still riding my Maverick,

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank u

Cliff

Hey milkman what angles are you set at. Your riding is how every new alpine/softboot rider should try to emulate, smooth and controlled. Great videos

I ride front foot steep...65 degrees or so...back more open and it varies upon what mountain I am riding here in Aspen. At the Milk I keep it pretty open around 48 degrees but move it more closed when the terrain is steeper so I dont boot out. I have thoughts on why I believe boards are becoming to narrow for free carving (not racer) but thats for another day! Thank u for the props on the videos. I look forward to shooting new talent this winter here in Aspen. I will for sure be high lighting the different riding styles of those who roll into town. I will be at Highlands every Weds morning (if the sun is out and its good) casually hosting a reserved carving run sesh and also at the Milk (still working out the details). Like I did years ago. Should be fun, hope u can make it for a rail.

Love it> I feel the same way but I have been a softy rider since 88'. I love to hang a thousand bottom turns and cutbacks on the mountain. Keep it up! It is a hardbooter world here but you have to respect anyone that rocks it on over! Hang rail!

• 2 weeks later...

Dat is sweet-ness, love the style / flow.

I was raised on long boards n reef breaks in so Cal even tho I dont have all the alp experience You do , not to mention that buttermilk beauty groom to do it on.

I relate so much more to Your way of freely moving down the mountain than the usual scripted metronome time signature beat of extreme heel then extreme toe ( repeat 20 times then stop ) type of carving.

Also I really like how You talk about the work week, aggression etc.... your editing it top notch too it too really flows too. ;)