Note to New Members ×

Plan-B Plate, by BlueB

BlueB

Carlo... Nice. He is high quality. You'll enjoy his company.

Tippie... OG hardbooter. National team and could hang with all the late 80's, early 90's Whistler rads of the day, all-terrain, in HB mode. Schley..? Skier.

Really. Track him down and ride with him. He has a pass, so he's up there alot.

I want you to put a steel insert in your mounts, too. Even if it's for someone else using it later, who doesn't have the refined control an older gentleman shredder might.

Just sayin'...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure I see the overhang that might cause you 'plate out'.

I have seen both the Bomber plate and the Donek plate in action and they boh flex, they are not rock solid rigid. From what I have been told a little flex is good.

Good work pioneering your own plate, keep up with the reviews.

:biggthump

Have a big test to really punish it.

Ace,

It might not look to much on the pic, but it's there... When the board cuts the trench, the plate (and the heads of axles screws) come to the contact with snow. I had similar with Vist Plate on a too narrow board in dense slush - huge side surface of Vist planed on high inclinations.

What is a BIG test? Running into a tree? ;) :D

Rob,

"Older Gentleman"

:lol: Should I take it as compliment, insult, or just friendly ribbing :D How much younger, or older, are you? (I'm 41, but look "nicely worn in")

Is Tippie maybe invloved with Cypress Ski Club? If yes, I might actually know him...

Yeah, I bonded with Carlo right away, at Staff Orientation. He'll try few of my alpine boards when his Winds are back from Banf. I'll try his No-Board when conditions are right. Hell, I might even try the plate on No-Board! ;)

I'm close to 190, nowadays - picked few pounds over the summer. Next volunteer is Scooby, he's just over 200, I guess, but is known as gear (and self) breaker. Unfortunatelly, our ultimate board bender, who punishes the boards by 240lbs of doom, has retired from snowboarding...

If you guys have a few burgers and beers each day for the next few days you might be able to put on a bit more weight. Given the important scientific testing - and all the peer review - going on here, you might consider the benefit this would have to supporting the validity of the plate testing. Very helpful data...

Plate past the ultimate test, today. All that fooling with with Ace and "run into a tree" concept almost came true...

Anyways, here's what happened: I had it on my Kessler KST 185, in variety of crappy conditions. I went full speed over the handlebars, full cartweel over the nose. Bord delamed and bent and titanal cracked just ahead of the plate... :( However, there are 0 signs of stress on the hardware. Board broke before it, surprise, surprise. Therefore, I declare the Plan-B Plate safe to ride for other test pilots. Scooby will have a go next week.

Other then destruction of the board, I had a fair comparative test on: my KST 185 with Plate and TD2s, Scooby's KST 185 with TD3s only. Conditions were pretty funny - strange snow that you get after mixed precipitation and poor grooming, chunks, cookies, ridges...

Findings:

- Plated board was definitelly smoother to ride

- Plateless board offered more "feel" for what's going on under

- Plateless board had better handling and initiation

- Driver had more guts on Plateless board (function of largley disproportionate milage on 2 systems)

- Plated board still can be skid at will and stopped pretty much like plateless board

post-1678-141842327648_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842327654_thumb.jpg

Sorry for your loss, congrats on being one of the first to trash a board with a plate you will now be in the record books. Is this strictly a top sheet delam or did it do further damage to boards core.I think this will be a topic of discussion for some time to come as we push boards to new limits with plates of all makes.

Thanks Bola,

With what I did, I think that prety much any metal board of similar size could/would brake with any binding system. Except maybe old style Tinkler plate?

I wouldn't recommend any plate system (at least the ones I tried) to anyone below advanced stage.

Thanks Lowrider,

Doubtfull fame... I kinda remember someone saying about multiple broken boards, just not as much detailed report as mine?

Don't hear much of the core cracking when I bend it. Maybe just top. It did bend a bit, though.

Core damage or just top sheet ? Edges and sidewall look ok from your pics. If you want to part with your damaged goods i'll pay shipping to rip it open.

He, he, I haven't quite decided if I'm going to open it myself, hang it on the wall of fame, or... make another plate out of it! Sorry.

Small by what means? Footprint is wider then Donek's 4x4.

Anyways, now it's proven plenty strong - in catastrophic crash, board broke before the mounting system failed.

I have no idea if it is strong enough or not. I don't think you can yet say it has proven itself plenty strong after limited testing and one significant crash. Mareials do not always show how they have stressed.

Pics please for clarification.

You are a Donek Boy, I thought you'd have relevant pics ;)

Anyways, see below.

Of more concern would be surface area rather than footprint width. I would hope the desired rusult would be NO failures. I've endured a few egg beater crashes on plated board that I thought migh break me as well as the board or plate, but no failures to report thus far.

Can't quite convince myself that a lot of longitudinal footprint would be a good thing - more dead spot in the flex, more chances for point loading...

No failures end result would be quite intersting. You'd have to ride a steel I-beam instead of the board and thru-bolt the boot soles to it. I'm yet to see an unbreakable board or bindings...

post-1678-141842327699_thumb.jpg

post-1678-141842327701_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

After a period of pow, rains, slush and other variable conditions, we've decided to put the plate to more testing. This time on Scooby's Coiler Classic 179. Btw, I loved the board with plate better then without - some of the stiff nose effect got canceled by the plate.

Riding conditions were not ideal - warm day, late morning, snow starting to slush up and chop/bump. As usual, plate ate all of the crap.

I was going to take it down a double black ungroomed run at Raven, but realised that I had a blown ankle buckle on my rear boot, so further testing got canceled.

Doug took it for a quick spin too - his first encounter with plate technology. He didn't like it much and I'm not surprised, he's mostly into 18 wide livelly boards. 20 wide Coiler deadened by the plate must felt like a tank to him...

Scooby kept the plate on his board, so stay tuned for his report.

post-1678-14184233337_thumb.jpg

WOW...This PBP by BlueB ROCKS! 2 day test (= 5 hours) on COILER on allmost snow condition (no POW). RESULT: PBP in good condition.

I'm 6' - 216Lbs/98Kg with gears.

Binding TD2 Mod, RED TD3 E-ring. Bindings set up:

FRONT Plate 55*; Base 3*- Cant @65*

REAR Plate 50*; Base 3* - Cant@60*

Stance 20 1/4" and Gilmour Bias. I had to widen my stance from 19 1/2"

COILER PR179 was chosen instead PRIOR WCRM177 due to the stiffer deck. But board felt softer under the PBP, kind of "springy". PBP isolate most the bumpy rides, so smooth that I just have to concentrate on my riding.

Deck easily rail on its edge and maintain stable carving thru out the turn. But u do have to commit to turn by flip the deck past the flip point 45*angle due to plate height.

Board is so stable to ride just like riding longer boards. http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=31521&page=5 #121. I compare back to back with KST185+Hangl & plateless SG FR185.

Next test: PBP on SG FR185

Cheers

RT

post-6136-141842334463_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842334465_thumb.jpg

post-6136-141842334467_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I had the PBP for a ride on Scooby's SG Full Race 185, probably the burliest board I've ridden in the last 2 years. I think it was getting to the point where the plate was softer then the board itself. When I set on the steep pitch and just pushed the board, I could see the plate flexing quite a bit. It seemed to create delayed response from the board. Never the less, when I overshoot one turn and ended up in the nasty bumpy ungroomed stuff on the side of the run, the board just sailed right through it. I had that "Oh sh*t!" thing in my mind, but hardly felt anything.

Oher then that, hardware is live and kicking.

Plate is back with Scoob, for another round.

Other Van guys are welcome to it, too.