Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line 10-11

Snowman

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was just looking at the number of posts this thread has, and wondering why I don't hear anything in lift lines. Then I realized, we don't have any. I just get right on the lift. The only thing I hear in the lift line is the sound of me whooshing through the corral.

So I was just looking at the number of posts this thread has, and wondering why I don't hear anything in lift lines. Then I realized, we don't have any. I just get right on the lift. The only thing I hear in the lift line is the sound of me whooshing through the corral.

Jim, hope you & your knee are back to whooshing through the corrals! :)

All I ever hear is "Oh, you're a hardbooter! Do you know that guy out at the Village - Caspercarver? He's really good!" Got that from two people at Snow King just in the last week. That was also the question most frequently asked of me at SES.... :rolleyes: It's hard riding in the shadow of greatness. :biggthump

Last night,halfway down a trail,I pull a hard C-carve around two guys sitting on hill in soft-boots and proceed a good 40'back up-hill.....one of them raises both arms and hollers"Holy-sh*t!!...I ride downhill,and YOU ride up the hill?Crazy stunts!" Sharp edges kids...shaaarrrrp edges:p

If you rode dressed like in your avatar, I'd be surprised for no different comments...

Jim, hope you & your knee are back to whooshing through the corrals! :)

All I ever hear is "Oh, you're a hardbooter! Do you know that guy out at the Village - Caspercarver? He's really good!" Got that from two people at Snow King just in the last week. That was also the question most frequently asked of me at SES.... :rolleyes: It's hard riding in the shadow of greatness. :biggthump

Tomorrow may be my first day back on the hill! I'm waiting for a nice dump to get back out there, but we'll see. It looked promising earlier on, not so much now.

Its not from lift line but it was at the ski patrol lodge after i was rescued from the slope.. One of the ski patrol walked in and said "come on! You are the last guy i wanna see in here!!" and he went on and started to talk about how my 185 donek is waaaayyyyy too long lol

through the season I've heard many comments and remarks similar to what has been posted here...fun,,,and funny,,,people starring not really sure what to say or ask, but last week had one that I have to share. I just got off the lift and was about to click in,(i'm patrolling) when this older woman..probably late 60's...is climbing up the hill to talk to me. I start sliding down to meet her...she is huffing and puffing..and says.."you are so beautiful" ,,she pauses, then says " no... what you do...it looks so beautiful as you come down the hill"...I just smiled and said thank you..

It wasn't in the lift line, but made me laugh:

We we shopping for softies for my GF and she tried a pair on. The kid who was doing a poor job of selling said " These have this B-O-A thing to do them up. I don't what that means but they are easy to do up."

I said " Boa, like a constrictor, is my guess."

"Oh. Huh?"

"Nevermind."

This was at the shop with a great big sign on the wall (2'x3') "Googles-20% off!"

It was awful nice of them to be offering a search engine at a discount....

I've long lamented that mainstream snowboarding for the general public is becoming less of a sport--involving technique, skill and refined equipment--and more of a social scene with its own fashions and status symbols. (Case in point, would you ever take your board to be tuned at 98% of the snowboard shops out there?)

Then again, just this year I was at a local, "venerable" old ski shop looking at boots, and the longtime owner stated to me, "Mondo size means nothing. You have to go by street shoe size." He went on to explain the the two digits of Mondo sizes were just meant to be added together to indicate the equivalent in street shoes--ie. Mondo 25 is 2+5= size 7 :eek::freak3: I would have asked him if Mondo 30 was then equivalent to a size 3, but I wanted to get out of there as fast as possible!

In general, I think people are just getting dumber.

I just got off the lift and was about to click in,(i'm patrolling) when this older woman..probably late 60's...is climbing up the hill to talk to me. I start sliding down to meet her...she is huffing and puffing..and says.."you are so beautiful" ,,she pauses, then says " no... what you do...it looks so beautiful as you come down the hill"...I just smiled and said thank you..

Hey, did you get her number? Maybe she wants to be a benefactor of the snowboard performing arts! Tell her you'd be even more beautiful with an expanded quiver of custom boards and a sponsor for summer training in South America.... :1luvu:

woman of couple behind me to single female skier behind them : "would you like to go on ahead and partner on the t-bar with him? he seems quite nice."

single female skier : "err .."

man of same couple : "he's like the best bits of skiing and snowboarding all mixed together"

--

liftie : "see when you cross the track the next time, can you do it without cutting a deep line like just then!!?"

me : "aww, spoil my fun"

woman of couple behind me to single female skier behind them : "would you like to go on ahead and partner on the t-bar with him? he seems quite nice."

single female skier : "err .."

man of same couple : "he's like the best bits of skiing and snowboarding all mixed together".

Now that's one of the nicest ways I've ever heard our sport described- I'm stealing that gem for sure....

Geo

I've made some huge leaps in my carving this season and my comfort level and ability to feel what is going on at the board level has increased so I've started to play around with different styles as opposed to a just always being in a hard charging race carve.

Today at Nakiska on a low angled blue I was playing with keeping my body long, hands at my sides or resting on my thighs and flowing into the c-carves, letting my fingers trail across the snow surface when it was in reach. Felt really flowy and relaxed. And as an added bonus it took some of the load off of my thighs as well.

Now this is Alberta so you can take his with a grain of salt but I had two skiers on separate occaisons remark to me that "...it looks more like you are surfing than snowboarding". :cool:

Dave

My first day on hard boots I was pulled into two conversations about my gear. One gent (a bit older than me) was telling his wife about how mine was the old-school style from when he started boarding. We talked gear and he said he'd like to give it a try again. Another group of guys were checking out my gear and I suggested they watch the racers training further down the run. They knew it was great stuff to watch so stopped for a break.

Double confirmation today...

1st, a gate/ticket guy: "Hey, new board, again!"

2nd, a liftie: " Hey, that one I haven't seen yet. How many boards you've got anyways?"

I guess, pointy, pink SG is easy to spot as something new/different...

• 2 weeks later...

Skier, to me, getting into the lift line after a run on a Skwal:

"AH a weird contraption that you will never put me onto!"

Me: "WHat can I do doode, I broke my other ski..."

SKier: some silence for a second or so (kind of buying it at first), then:

"You are ****ting me, aren't you?"

Me: Big grin :D