Note to New Members ×

Cypress Diaries 2010-11

BlueB

did a nightowl rip last night. weird variable conditions. the high speed quads were closed until 4pm, so the slopes were relatively unmolested. snow ranged from untracked fresh / granular & soft groom at higher elevs, to crust & a dusting of fresh over frozen hardpack lower down. some unpredictable soft patches in the middle of groomed hardpack made for a few unexpected augers. keep you on your toes type stuff. entertaining though. hill was deserted.

just got some new td3's w/ yellow elastomers - the added compliance is great. having good fun on the old donek; can't wait to get on the prior - i've forgotten what the new tech is like.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9:00 - 12:00.

First run down JJ. Then moved to the Raven Chair. 6" to 12" fresh. Quite dry. Cypress was closed yesterday until 4:00, so Raven Chair had two night's accumulation of white fluffiness. Fun pow runs down Raven Ridge, First Sun, and the Mogul Run, which had 18" of freshness.

Foggy for first 30 minutes, then it cleared.

Weapon of the day: Dynastar 3800 - 163 cm.

Pic: Hey! Where is everyone??!!

post-7482-141842338946_thumb.jpg

Friday: Soft firm snow condition, some part soft, visibility in most run wasn't to great, xcept Raven. Crazy was the best condition next 1st Sun. Tried Rainbow for a view run and Midway.

Crew: BlueB - WCRM173 metal top, Maverick... , Scooby - WCRM 177 carbon, WCRM173W

Saturday: Went early and organise the pass purchase for the group, yihaa more carvers next season on no limit :biggthump

Snow condition: Due to high moisture content the night before it was icy some section and crushty layer on most runs. Again the best was the Raven side. Clear up & stay most on 1st sun, with the Tanker Rocker 200LE. 3rd on it and lovin it this monster. Last run on lower trumpeter after the beer and chicken wing mey leg cudn't handle right before heading the carver out, I husted 4 of the bamboo poles :D on the deep soft slurpy...I know time to leave...

Crucible doing great turn on his Coiler Race thru the mountanous choppy 1st Sun, I don't know where he get his legs. Hooplah was in tears he didn't have his "Maory" Tanker with him. Pierre looks great on the Never Summer, too bad his not on HB. Did some movie on Luka - wait report from BlueB.

Saw Yoshii doing good carving on the new race board with crucible follow close by.

Crew:BlueB & Luka - ski, Crucible - Coiler Race18..., Coiler AM 17... , Pierre - Virus Xtreme 170, Never Summer 160, Rod"Hooplah" - Crazy banana, Scooby - WCRM173W & 177, Tanker R200LE. Yoshii - Razor(?)..127.

Great day carvers, looking forward for more days trenchin. I'll be off to the mountain all week this week. Do trenchin for me.

Cheers,

RT(43)

Yozhi - Rabanezer

Rod - Lib Tech Banana (Crazy Banana is an ancient brand that eventually became Rad-Air).

Thanks for filming Luka. He diodn't have a best day yesterady, though...

I'm getting to love the Maverick. I might do a real review in the appropriate section.

did a morning rip today. lots of variety. soft packed pow cord off peak, bulletproof down rainbow, varied carveable groom on jj and springlike under raven chair - first sun lived up to it's name. good fun. saw a couple alpine riders - one on a red rossi and another mini (kid?) rider (looked like boris' student he posted a pic of).

Almost forgot to put this one up...

Weirdest conditions ever... 10cm of very dry fluffy fresh over sheer ice or frozen chop on some runs. Snowing right through the day until 2pm, getting gradually wetter. Variable visibillity, very poor at the times. 0 people at the hill, except employees. 0 lessons to teach. Lots of sketchy riding...

Snow was ridable on the flatter runs, bud deadly on blacks. Few instructors got ligthly injured... There was just enough fluf to exclude the option of penetrating it permanently to ride ice and then on a more aggressive move, the board would find it and sketch out. Not even to mention giant chunks of ice one could find under soft around Raven chair...

Best/deapest windblown snow was in the gulleys to the right of Trumpeter: The B Hip and Hose Side. Bowen, Black on Black and First Sun ridable, Coyote near impossible...

Toys of the day, Nidecker Proto 167 and Steepwater 164 (set duck!?). I wander if Tanker would have helped on the tricky steeps, or just helped wrack myself? After I got bored with Nidecker, I took my teaching Steep, with teaching duck stance (h/boots), just for hack of it. I got quite surprised that it was quite doable down the steeps, in those tricky conditions. Actually toe side was lightening quick and easier to complete then on mild alpine stance. Heel side was les quick but fast enough. However, I didn't have any turn shape on the heel side, which I'm sure, would come with practice...

Called it a day at about 2:30pm...

Today's rains will carry on tomorrow. With a bit of luck, Friday might be a huge wet dump.

did a nightowl session last night. neat conditions; there was ~4-6" of heavy fresh earlier & temps were just above freezing, resulting in firm spring conditions - soft, but carveable & not too slow or wet. kinda springy; you'd get lots of pop out of the carves. really fun, fast, forgiving shredding going on. deserted as usual; still some fresh turns to be had on the sides. fully expected it to be crap, but ended up one of the funnest nights this year.

o/t - prior shipped my flc yesterday - should be good to go for the weekend - stoked! lets hope temps drop a bit...

I had a small accident this past week while doing home repairs- I slipped while using a chisel to seat a door hinge and chopped into my index finger down to the bone.

UBC ER physician gave me three stitches and told me to take it easy, so no night riding or Filipino stick and knifefighting classes for me this week.

Needless to say, this week has SUCKED.... but all is not lost. I'm heading up to Whistler this weekend, stitches be damned....

Geo

Lone B again...

Great day today! Pretty dry snow and lots of it. Variable vis and flat light. No people. I mostly rode trees - surprise, surprise. Even got into some places I didn't know existed...

Rode the old Rad-Air Extreme 169 - pretty damn good for it's age! Superb float and nimble in the trees/bumps. Somewhat heavy, not as stable as modern boards and carves less good.

wet day on the hill. rain at the base turning to snow at the top (over some overnight snow accumulation). after a brief session w/ the donek (see the 'broken' thread), pulled out the old Palmer, and proceeded to lay down some sweet deep soggy trenches. rainbow was super fun sloppy carving. surprisingly good times; liking the spring conditions. deserted again.

just read the mountain is planning on staying open till April 25 - weather permitting of course. good value on the new pass. reg tix are also 40% off. nice.

fffffffffuuuuuuuuu....

got my board this morning - they built a standard width (not wide as i ordered). not going to keep it so deliberating options - sell it on my own as new, or return & wait for a new build...

i get the impression that place is staffed w/ transient potheads. argh.

yeah. beginning to lose faith in these guys. chris p is a talented guy i'm sure, but it seems there's issues at the production / qc level. i really want to love and support them, but they're making it difficult.

Sorry to hear about PRIOR screw up...again!! (Reminder: Flywalker case with his FLC)

+1 w/ BlueB; sent back collect to PRIOR.

+1 about talented CP but problem there is someone else in charge with same first name and I heard (2nd hand) negative comment comin out from this person that can affect PRIOR Co.

I hope CP & his business partner will look closely/concentrate on the QC & production.

Keep us update...

RT

Note: I bought of shelf 2 custom decks deal direct (face to face) w CP him self no problem, never order by phone thou...hmmm maybe the admin has to be improved too...

fffffffffuuuuuuuuu....

got my board this morning - they built a standard width (not wide as i ordered). not going to keep it so deliberating options - sell it on my own as new, or return & wait for a new build...

i get the impression that place is staffed w/ transient potheads. argh.

Having dealt with them on a purely BTB level, your sentiments are NOT that far off from the truth, unfortunately.

Offer them the chance to make it right for you, who knows, miracles happen.

Geo

oh, i don't doubt they'll build me a replacement; the process is just tedious. would have been nice to have had a few days on board prior to season end.

been dealing w/ gus as of late. seems like a good guy. never dealt w/ prior the man. seems a bit of ghost.

oh, i don't doubt they'll build me a replacement; the process is just tedious. would have been nice to have had a few days on board prior to season end.

been dealing w/ gus as of late. seems like a good guy. never dealt w/ prior the man. seems a bit of ghost.

That sucks. I have a really nice Prior to hold you to the end of the season ;)

prior has agreed to refund me (and pay shipping). gus = good guy. since the season is almost done, i'm opting to wait for the 2012's in the fall. sh.t happens; my murderous rage has subsided. aided, in part, by the fact i've got a couple kesslers on the way to keep me entertained in the interim...