Note to New Members ×

2010 buck pics

jtslalom

Hey guys -- what would think of a 3 blade Broadhead that has a laser inside it?

if legal in your state would you use it? I have been doing the mech design of the first one and we have our first 100 units going together right now. The broadhead has a fine pitch set screw to allow you to adjust for trajectory so you can set it for 30 yd impact or 15 yd impact, color code them if you like for what ever range. The Laser Broadhead is rechargeable thru your 12v auto plug. You place a magnet on your rest and when the arrow is at full draw a hall effect sensor excited by the magnet turns the red laser on, put the spot on your target and let her fly. Laser turns off when it leaves the rest. :biggthump

Also great for target practice..

Great Buck BTW!!!!

Deer do not seem to be bothered with a red laser, probably something about being color blind -- I have heard they do not like a green one, a friend drove a doe nuts with is green laser the other day. Re: rain or snow... if it was quite heavy I am sure the clarity of the red spot may be reduced -- just like your eyesight would be.

how do you like to cook your venison? I BBQ mine with a little beef fat.

Nice job on the buck! My first day out will be 10/16.

As far as the laser broadhead, and this is one guy's opinion, with no offense meant, actually never mind I will keep my mouth shut about my opinion. But to answer your question, I would not buy one.

But you better be sure to knock the arrow with laser exactly the same each time. And glue your knocks into your shafts so they don't rotate.

how do you like to cook your venison? I BBQ mine with a little beef fat.
sear with duck fat, roast until cooked how you like it.

alternatively, dice and mix with equal quantities of rabbit and pheasant, carrots, onion and potato. put in casserole dish and cover with puff pastry. bake until cooked.

best served with a chunky porter or heady stout.

Congrats JT! At 4 yards, your heart must have been really been pounding. That's great.

Here's a doe that I killed just yesterday morning, while hiding at the base of large tree cluster. I used an osage selfbow that I just finished up a couple of months ago and a 725 grain ash arrow.

(Not into sights, let alone "fricken lasers".)

2010DoePic.jpg

nice bow alpinb. nice buck jt. even when I don't get to go, it's nice to see some of you gettin after it.

might get to hunt in a week or two. Not hunting but I did see four moose yesterday - fairly close. Got me excited to try to get out.

C5 - pretty sure it's not legal here but who knows. Sounds interesting for level ground. Arrows sure fly different when elevated or the target is. From my trips to the 3d range, I suck at calculating distance and adjustment for up and down.

Any thoughts on how you adjust for elevation if that pertains.

Have you tried this out C5 or are you a bowhunter or shooter? I am not too techy but it could be fun.

C5 - pretty sure it's not legal here but who knows. Sounds interesting for level ground. Arrows sure fly different when elevated or the target is. From my trips to the 3d range, I suck at calculating distance and adjustment for up and down.

Any thoughts on how you adjust for elevation if that pertains.

Have you tried this out C5 or are you a bowhunter or shooter? I am not too techy but it could be fun.

Not an archer-- tried it many times... could not hit a hay bail from 10 feet. so I am more of a singleshot rifleman /pistolero. Last deer I shot was with an original US Army issued Trapdoor Springfield 45/70 with a bulllet I cast myself out of auto wheel weights. We all have our own levels of passion Eh?:biggthump

any advice on what bow to get for a guy who hasn't really shot in 20 years? My local shop had PSE bows on sale at "cost" - down about 25% from retail - and they seem pretty nice but I really don't know what features I need, other than ~60lb draw weight and a decent let-off.

Nice buck, btw

Tex,

I just bought a new bow this year after having a 20 year old bow. The one I got is Diamond Rock 2.0. It cost $500 with a sight, detachable quiver, wisker arrow rest and silencers. This bow is so much quicker, lighter and more stable than my old bow that it took 50 practice shots to get comfortable however, it was the best thing I had done as far as shooting. I am now shooting at distances I never would have shot with my old bow.

I'm not sure about new PSE bows but I do know that they have been making them since I started bow hunting back in 1986, so I guess they are pretty good. I'm sure no matter what new bow you get you will find it so much smoother to shoot than that of 20 year old bows.

JT, Best of luck getting after them. There are a couple of bucks I've had close encounters with this year, but haven't been able to connect. This is #2 of the season for me. I took the shot from my knees to snake an arrow beneath a tree limb, over a ball of vines, and through the heart. I could only see its head and neck, but thanks to a rainbow trajectory, I was able to make the shot. Same selfwood osage bow and arrow set. ("Sights? We don't need no steenkeen sights!")

2010Deer2.jpg

Nice Alpinbogen,

I like the fact that you are a traditional hunter. I will eventually get a long bow but for right now I am hunting with a single cammed compound.

It's tough to wait for a good shot though. The buck I shot this year pictured above didn't present a good shot until it was about 4 or 5 yards away. Sometimes they never do and you have to let them pass. I like the fact that you created your own pathway to the deer. That doesn't happen very often with me mostly because I'm in a tree. However, anticipating where the deer are coming from is half the game. I really like the fact that you "rainbowed" your shot. I guess with a longbow you can probably not draw as far in order to get a better trajectory. Good job man and even better job on the shot.

Deer Camp

Four guys have been going to the same deer camp for many years. Two days before the group is to leave, Ron's wife puts her foot down and tells him he isn't going.

Ron's friends are very upset that he can't go but what can they do.

Two days later the three get to the camping site only to find Ron sitting there with a tent set up, firewood gathered, and dinner cooking on the fire.

"Dang man, how long you been here, and how did you talk your wife into letting you go?"

"Well, I've been here since yesterday. Yesterday evening, I was sitting in my chair and my wife came up behind me and put her hands over my eyes and said, 'Guess who?'" I pulled her hands off, and she was wearing a brand new nightie. She took my hand and pulled me to our bedroom. The room had candles and rose petals all over. On the bed she had handcuffs, and ropes! She told me to tie and cuff her to the bed, So I did, And then she said, "Do whatever you want."

So, here I am.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice buck fishrising. Great story to go with it. Were there any other big bucks fighting? I'm sure there were looking at the wound on the deer that you shot. I also saw four bucks go at it. One of them was a giant and the other three were pretty big as well. It was to bad that I already filled both my buck tags. In NJ you can only take two bucks total in the fall bow and exrended fall bow seasons. I shot a seven pointer early and then shot a spike in the later season. I wish I didn't take the spike though, it was the next day that I saw the monster buck. Lesson learned; Don't shoot small bucks during the rut! Nice job on shooting a nice buck.