Note to New Members ×

Cheap Palmer skis

BobD

Skis arrived today. They look awesome...and short. Shortest pair of skis I've ever owned.

Thanks again to BobD and wvrocks for the link and the coupon. Sierra sent me a $40 e-gift card as well. If anyone is going to buy anything from Sierra you are welcome to my gift card. It expires December 22nd.

You're welcome, Thanks again to wvrocks, I just received a pair of ski pants for my wife, which after the gift card, sale discount, and Facebook discount cost all of $5 with shipping :biggthump

The white 163s have a great textured top sheet finish, with the logos in silver. I just finished polishing the edges, and five applications of graphite, and high fluoro moly wax.

So now I have the full monty of P02s. Must think about getting a new snowboard next.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I am just now mounting the bindings so I can use these skis tomorrow. It's been a long time since I've mounted bindings and I'm not sure I've ever mounted into riser plates before.

Do I need to drill pilot holes first? I'm pretty sure I need to as the holes look too small for the screws that came with the bindings (Freeflex 11s). I know the inserts are just plastic but if I remember correctly they screws are not going to go in right unless I drill them out first.

Maybe they've changed something in the mean time. The Tyroia plate I've got is about 5-6 years old. When forcing the screws into those thiny holes, it felt like something was gonna give, so I drilled them just slightly bigger.

I guess one could try both options first, on a set of holes that are not likelly to be used...

I guess one could try both options first, on a set of holes that are not likelly to be used...

That's exactly what I did. I tried putting one of the screws in without drilling before I even posted. It was very difficult to get in. Tried another predrilling with the correct size pilot and it went in like butter. I pre-drilled all the holes I used for mounting (although only half of them are smaller and actually need drilling).

Thanks for you replies,

Paul

What size are the Palmers?

I may be trying a pair of 171 Kesslers if the bad weather holds off till later afternoon.

Enable your contact info .... I would like to compare feedback , I am interested in the 163 for my wife.

What size are the Palmers?

I may be trying a pair of 171 Kesslers if the bad weather holds off till later afternoon.

Enable your contact info .... I would like to compare feedback , I am interested in the 163 for my wife.

I ended up working with my daughter most of the time and she is a total beginner. Never really got a chance to let them loose like I hoped I would have.

I'm going out on Monday without the kids. I have a brand new Prior FLC to try out as well so I'm not sure if I'll make it onto the skis or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Enable your contact info".

So I have all three sizes. I think the 163 is my favorite, as it is the most versatile. All three are incredibly fun, and easy to carve on. You definitely don't need to (and the skis don't like it if you do) load up the tips, as you would on a normal slalom race ski. In fact, I like a softer flexing ski boot with the Palmers. They are reasonably forgiving of fore/aft balance mistakes. The only thing I don't like is making skidded turns on a flattish ski, as the tips vibrate because they are not on the snow. But as these skis are meant to be used for carving, it's not a big issue. I would have liked a little more guts in them, no real kick to the rebound. Where they really shine, is on boiler plate. I took me a while to be confident in their grip, as it really didn't seem possible, but these skis are like ice skates.

Bob, how are the 155s? I may inherit them from my wife. She likes a much livelier ski.

I enjoy using them. you can do great extreme cross-under turns, with the small radius, but still open then up to medium radius turns. I think it's much the same as the new school boards. If you are expecting the same feel as glass, you'll be disappointed. Also the decambered tips bounce around when not engaged as in carving, which would be annoying if your are used to skidding turns on a conventional camber ski. I would agree they could do with a bit more oomph, and I see there is now a carbon version of the P02. As I said above, the edge hold when it's icy is amazing.

• 1 month later...

A little late on the review, but here goes....

These skis are the BEST carving boards I have ever been on. My last ski was a Nordica Speedmachine Mach3 which was no slouch either, but these respond much quicker than the Nordicas. The edge to edge transition is lightning quick as long as you stay forward on the ski. On soft groomed snow you can put down railroad track trenches with these, but they are also great on ice. The ski seems to have no speed limit, at least not that I had enough room to find on 1000 vertical feet of hill.

The ski can be skidded through the turns and it is easier to do than on a stiff Volkl race ski but it doesn't respond well to anything but a carved turn. They also don't like to be run flat as the tips chatter when not on edge, but you really won't want to do anything other than carve on these.

I wouldn't recommend these for anyone who uses an old school technique as they would just be fighting the ski through every turn.

If you like to ski I would recommend this ski as a frontside carver!

Great review! I got a pair of the longest ones cheap, but still haven't skied them. Nominally too long for me, 175lbs & 5ft 7", I might sell them and go shorter, but can't decide how short!

Hey Martin! We might take the longest ones off your hands and you could pick up a pair of the new shorter ones if you like as My Gf's son has 163's already.

If you like to ski I would recommend this ski as a frontside carver!

I was going to post something similar, but you beat me to it. The early rise tips on skis is interesting, as it seems to work for two very different groups of skiers. The Rossi Avenger 74 (which seemed to be the most common rental ski in Park City this season) was very popular with all the people I asked about it, and that confirmed what I had seen with my wife on the Palmer 155s. It allows novice, and intermediate skiers who can't load the tips, to initiate turns much more easily. My wife's skiing instantly looked better, and the people I spoke to on the Avenger 74s all said they they felt they were skiing better.

Head have introduced early rise on their cheater GS skis this season, and people seem to like them. So it looks like this is the two types of skis we'll see this camber combo on. I demoed the mid range, non metal early rise Rossi skis for next season, and they chattered like crazy in high angle carves. So I think metal may be essential with early rise skis for carving.

The Palmers certainly are an easy carving ski. They handle high speed without any chatter. Just lay them down, until you boot out; which is easy to do, because they they are narrow. Don't use these skis for teaching/PSIA stuff. It's hard to look like your weight is forward, because they initiate so far back from the tip, and as mentioned, the tips flap in the breeze when they are at very low angles. The high delta of the Tyrolia bindings also tends to keep you in the back seat as well. Some toe lift can help with that. the toe lift also helped with initiation on boiler plate, where you can notice a slight delay before the skis hook up into a turn. I skied the 163 Palmers back to back with the new Rossi 165 WC slalom skis. You could do pretty much the same turns on both, but the Palmers were noticeably easier on the legs. I realized how much I missed the kick that the WC skis gave though. I see there is now a carbon P02 version which might be better for that.

Great review! I got a pair of the longest ones cheap, but still haven't skied them. Nominally too long for me, 175lbs & 5ft 7", I might sell them and go shorter, but can't decide how short!

I have all three P02s. The 163 is a good choice for a bit of everything. It carves slalom turns, but still likes high speed longer turns (no chatter). The 155 is just crazy fun, as in ultra slalom, with it's 10.5M sidecut. You might like it martin, if you want to recreate your skateboard slalom turns on skis, but they would be tiring for long periods of skiing.

I went past the Ross Miller photographer on Sitka on tuesday on the 171s. There are 5 photos starting at #A476 sitka action 02/15/2011 at http://www.rossmillerphoto.com/searchphoto.php

Bob, you should have told me you were in PC! I have clients currently that don't start until 11am, so have been getting a few hard boot turns in before switching back to softs! Tomorrow is my last chance.

Drop me a pm if you are around for a while.

Was only there for a few days sadly, but maybe catch you next year. Did I see somewhere that you're a fellow Brit?

I am a Londoner living in Utah, after 15 seasons working in Europe, I fancied a change. I had no idea you were a Brit too! How long have you been here? It's 11 years for me.

We will definitely have to get together if you come out next year. I wonder how many ex-pat Brits are BOL members? Maybe a new forum topic?

I am a Londoner living in Utah, after 15 seasons working in Europe, I fancied a change. I had no idea you were a Brit too! How long have you been here? It's 11 years for me.

We will definitely have to get together if you come out next year. I wonder how many ex-pat Brits are BOL members? Maybe a new forum topic?

For sure. Sixteen years. One of the high lights of visiting PC is to go the international store in Kimball and stock up on McVities chocolate digestives, and Tunnock's caramel wafers ;)