Note to New Members ×

My First Skis... a proud father

Ernie00

Congrats man!

I went trought the same (except that I never really stoped skiing) over the last 2 years. Priceless moments.

So, I have few thoughts to share. I hope you don't mind unsollicited advice...

The little kids learn so quickly and naturally, it's amazing. I started Luka at just over 2 years of age. By 3 and few months, he started skiing parallel and carving turns here and there. We skipped the snow plow "pizza" (he's own decission, stubborn bugger).

My biggest problem were the boots. There was nothing small enough for his thiny feet, in Vancouver. Eventually, we ordered the boots from back East, exact model that you've got. They are great learning boots, soft enough that child can flex them a bit. One of the problems with them is that they are very upright, so they encourage the "back seat", so once the child is starting to ski beyond the magic carpet area, they should be replaced with propper plastic shell rear entry boots.

If he's keen on learning from others and you can afford it, I strongly recommend multiple lessons at magic carpet, until he can stop and link few turns. You'll save yourself lots of frustraion and he'll get the milage waaay quicker then on the slopes. Plus it's a much safer environment. I was lucky, as I worked in Kids Camp for many years, I had unlimited access to the magic carpet. Even so, I had to leve him few times withthe group and other instructors, to avoid the "dady's cry baby" effect, when needed. For every sucessfull session at magic carpet, he had a treat - a run on the easiest chair lift. Dady's back went "ouch" every time, but it was worth it.

Try avoiding the leash, if you can. If an absolute must, then leash his boots, not the upper boddy. That way you can steer him and you won't put him in the back seat.

Don't give him the poles for first few years. Same applies to you (snowboarders don't need them anyways ;) ). Helmet is a must.

Finally, don't bother with those old Kastles (straight long, I assume). Do yourself a favor and get a pair of modernish short skis. It would be way easier for you to teach on these, plus you'll transfer your carving skills very quickly. You don't need the latest and greatest or stiff race skis. Just any used intermediate ski in low 160s, made in the last 5 years would do. They go so cheap on the Craigslist...

Happy teaching and keep us posted! And carefull - you might get hooked onto the ski carving too, in the process. :D

Thanks a lot for the advice. great things to think about.

I'm really looking forward to this winter and seeing him on the snow. I can't say I'm looking forward to skiing myself. hehe

Boots are hard to find, specially smaller sizes, that's why I bought them so early and he only had 2 pairs left of 14.

Wow..

I'm going through same process for my soon-to-be 3 years old. But I'm after snowboard. :1luvu:

BlueB,

Have your kid learn to snowboard also? If he did, would you share what I need to know? I am looking Burton Chopper 90cm with whatever available boots & bindings from Burton. I am not a fan of the brand (actually I don't like them) but after researching some, Burton has invested and detailed out for children.

Any input will be appreciated.

In 6 years of teaching at the mountain, I haven't seen a 3 year old to successfully snowboard. IMO, majority of that age doesn't have enough of the right muscles and coordination. Yet don't get discouraged, I belive that few Bomber kids started very early and then, there is that wonderkid video on the Tube...

Well, keep us posted of how it goes...

As a rule 'o thumb, if a child can walk and follow you around while doing so, then they have the capacity to ski/snowboard.

Kids boards are still way too wide, and, along with skis, are stiffer than would be deemed appropriate.

Convex bases don't help.

I am not a fan of the brand (actually I don't like them) but after researching some, Burton has invested and detailed out for children.

Don't 'kid' yourself, Burton has invested in Burton.

With a little luck, kids will have more options shortly.

I'm really looking forward to this winter and seeing him on the snow. I can't say I'm looking forward to skiing myself. hehe

As Blake once wrote: "...The child is father to the man..."

so let him teach you how to ski.

And if you want to enhance the experience, forget your Kastles. Go to a ski swap and find something more appropriate for slow speed maneuvering.

As for skis to go out with a small kid, I think you have a choice to make. Either compromise, and get some that you will be able to use for skiing on your own, maybe 160ish, but still short enough to have fun with the tyke, or go for a short ski, 120/130, that will make skiing with a three/four year old very easy. Bear in mind that small kids only want to be out for an hour or two, and are much more interested in the hot chocolate in the chalet.

Last night we went ski shopping for our son. He is going to start skiing this winter. I think he is looking forward to it.

The scary thing is that I have to get on skis also... time to dust off the old 1988 Kastle ! I knew they would come in handy eventually !

Those photos are friggin' adorable!