Note to New Members ×

Vacation

BobD

It was certainly a culture shock when I first moved to the US, to be told in my first job here that I would get a weeks vacation after the first year, and what's the sense in public holidays, if you are not entitled to take the day off.

In the local Electricians Union we get about eight weeks net pay for vacation and holidays, although the rules can allow employers to limit us to three to five weeks, plus holidays.

Rebecca and I get four months off a year. We work for ourselves though, and no one pays us anything if we are not working.

Two weeks off a year was never going to work for us. It is really outrageous! :freak3:

Like your style. Works for me also! Now, to stay injury free for a bit and get some of this eight months worth of work done. Winter is fast approaching.:biggthump

Think Snow!

This subject comes up quite often when visiting family in Europe (DK). It's also one of the primary reasons that I have stayed in the same organization for as long as I have. If I weren't getting the amount of leave time that I do, I wouldn't be able to participate in so many family gatherings and I'd snowboard less.

Years ago, when self-employed, the combination of not getting paid when on vacation, paying someone else to cover the business in my absence and spending money for the vacation activities themselves all worked in concert to discourage even the idea of time off. Those 3 dynamics and the thought of shouldering $20K/yr expense for health insurance on my own with no subsidy are the biggest deterent to my considering entrepreneurial ambitions now. Sometimes I feel complacent and other times I see it as just sensible.

This year we have 16 paid Holidays on the calendar. I get 14hrs/month of annual leave, so 21 days. We can carry over 240 hrs/year. Also get 12hrs/month of sick leave with unlimited carry over hours. Its a pretty good deal. I work in state gov and it helps make up for the lower pay scale.

In 4 years I'll go to the max 16hrs/month annual, sick stays the same.

________

Best temp for extreme q