Note to New Members ×

Coming back from knee injury- would bigger board help?

carvin29

I tweaked my knee really bad last season and I think it will take another year for it to be all the way back. I'm up for a new freeride board this year and was thinking about going bigger than my usual 164 to a 170 or so. Would this help or hurt my knee? It's the front knee.

my opinion (not a doctor but I've been in the same situation) is stick with the shorter board if your knee isn't 100%

a longer board would have the potential to exert more force on the knee, for two reasons - Assuming the same board design, the weight of the longer board will be greater. Also, the longer board would have more leverage than the shorter one.

Many years ago, PSR used to talk about the swing weight of longer boards in relation to potential knee injuries and re-injuries. I would suggest a shorter length board in relation to your knee injury. I agree with Tex about staying with a shorter board until the knee can be tested and proved to be 100 percent.

I twisted my left knee in a backwards fall on the last day of the season this year on a 185 in soft slushy conditions. I was fine within a few weeks but, I can only imagine if I had taken the same fall in hard conditions during January or February. I'm sure it would have been a season-ender. Hope this helps,

Mark

Luckily snowboarding is not a knee killer like Skiing is...

Personally I would ride a longer board for it's ability to absorb bumps and chatter from hard and soft snow, I find they give a much more forgiving ride.

I'd rather be comfortable on a longer board than twitchy on a shorter board.

Can't imagine you are going to get on any board until your muscles, tendons and ligaments are healed.

jmho,ymmv

that's what I was thinking as far as absorbing more bumps, etc.

In that case you want metal for whatever board length you choose - my short metal board absorbs a whole lot more than my long glass board. Haven't gotten to try the Sidewinders, but I've been told they do the same thing, so you might want to add those in. Just sayin'...

You have not said what you did to your knee exactly. Did you have it diagnosed?

Does freeride mean freecarve or softboot freeride? If it is a softboot board, then definitely shorter.

When I broke the bottom of my femur in the knee joint a few years ago it was a painful return to carving and really did not get truly strong again until a full season later. It is still sore after a long day of riding.

I think you have bigger things to think about than the length of the board.

If it is a carve board, I agree that you want a new school shape metal board to suck up grooming imperfections.

A bigger board could be a smoother ride, but it will also want to go faster which will add to the shock that your knee absorbs. Added speed will also create a more dangerous situation for your knee when you wreck. Start on easy runs at lower speeds and see how you do on any board.

Depending on your injury, board width could have a much bigger affect on your riding because of the different way the forces will act on your knees at different binding angles. At first, I could hardly carve at hardboot angles because of the pain. Lower softboot angles were better for me. I have seen other riders that say high angles are better for their knees.

Generally, I think that higher angles are harder on the knees because when you put the board on edge, you are effectively leveraging against the knee sideways instead of front to back.

Make sure your legs are strong around the knees. This will help stabilize the knee tremendously.

Hey Buell, thanks for the detailed response. I had an avulsion fracture of my knee. The board is for freeride- soft boot carving, etc. Something like a Prior MFR. I've been working hard on protecting the joint by working out tons so that should help. I don't run huge angles, but more than the average soft booter.

The weight of a longer board on the lift really hurt my knee when I twisted it a couple years ago. Shorter/lighter boards let me ride longer until it was 100% again.

If your resort has the footrests on the lifts then this won't be an issue. ;)

Hey Buell, thanks for the detailed response. I had an avulsion fracture of my knee. The board is for freeride- soft boot carving, etc. Something like a Prior MFR. I've been working hard on protecting the joint by working out tons so that should help. I don't run huge angles, but more than the average soft booter.

That makes me cringe a bit. Good luck with your recovery.

I would definitely not go bigger than normal for that board.