Note to New Members ×

Sidewinder splitboard bindings are coming!

Buell

It's about time for an upgrade to the 20 yr old voile set-up:biggthump

Voile stuff works, but there is so much room for improvement.

It seems like quite a few improvements are coming down the line, especially for softbooters. Karakorum is a new company from Canada with a really interesting split hardware system and bindings. Maybe they will come up with a hardboot specific base plate or maybe Spark R&D will help us out.

Nice to at least see the SW split coming for the hardbooters. I know Will at Spark had been working on a hardboot binding with lateral flex, but I think he put it on the shelf during the prototype phase.

• 2 weeks later...
Is that pic mounted to Voile plates?

I'd love to have a slide plate & puck set built to bomber tolerances:1luvu: as well as a step-in option.

Spot on! I could not agree more.:biggthump That plastic puck makes me very nervous. :eek: With Td1 split bindings, stiff boots and 240+lbs. I know that is the week link. In addition steeper angles would be a big bonus. Even pushing the limits about all I can get is 44 degrees.

Spot on! I could not agree more.:biggthump That plastic puck makes me very nervous. :eek: With Td1 split bindings, stiff boots and 240+lbs. I know that is the week link. In addition steeper angles would be a big bonus. Even pushing the limits about all I can get is 44 degrees.

The burton system solved that problem but was maybe too finicky to be popular.

The Karakorum system seems like the advancement I've been looking for but is still limited to low angles, and soft boots. I like "no loose parts" design.

Ride-mode-interface.jpg

board_clip.jpg

contact-points.jpg

• Binding Weight: 920g per side (medium binding)
  • Stack Height: 14.5mm (.57 in)
  • Change Over Time: less than 2 minutes (includes removing skins, collapsing poles, packing gear)
    • Removal of bindings not required to change from snowboard to skis

[*] Materials: Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Engineering Plastics

[*] No loose parts or pins

[*] Mounting: existing production splitboard hole pattern or comes with a DIY mounting template

In something similar to vapor's plate. Envision a splitboard with the UPM pattern, and plate mounts that "split" in two pieces that have tabs across the board center, a front mount system that slides onto the bearings and a rear that has one pin to secure the plate to the board. Then direct mount Sidewinders to the top plate w/o any track system, and set the board up to use Dynafit toe pieces for the ascent, and of course dual climbing wires under your heel. Now you know my dream this summer...just gotta make it a reality.

I would say with the voile pucks and bombers there is plenty of softness already built in via the (weak) pucks flexing? Are sidewinders needed in addition to give more looseness? Yes as Byran said we really need a way to get steeper angles somehow?

Jim

Most AT boot splitboarders are from a softboot background and really want to recreate the ride of a softboot while having the advantages of the hardshell for traveling uphill. We also run much lower than typical hardboot carving angles and the SW should help a lot. Obviously, the SWs may not be as great for a rider from a hardboot background who rides higher angles than most in the BC and is accustomed to the stiffer interface of alpine riding. I figure that with lower angles, more lateral flex is needed for weight shifting along the long axis of the board. At the lower angles, the additional lateral flex does not affect edge control as much. With higher angles, more lateral flex makes edge control more squishy.

I do have quite a bit of flex with my F2 toe and heel bails mounted to the Voile slider. I do still want more though for BC riding. I am planning to work with Spark to create a better slider plate for the SWs that will hopefully eliminate some of the twisting of the slider on the pucks and also do a much better job of locking the board halves together for better board performance.

I have a hard time imagining the benefit of a splitboard plate system for the downhill being greater than the effort of carrying it uphill for me. It is much different than having a lift take you up. I really like light and simple in the BC. Who knows though. If it makes that much difference, I might eat my words.

I am looking forward to 2015 when the Voile patent ends and some creative minds are freed to make improvements on the split system.

I understand what you are saying Buell as at boots don't have much side flex built in so in shallow angles sidewinders are good . In steep angles we are using the forward flex of the boot and are looking for some stiffness side to side to transmit power . I love the spark baseplates as they give the baseplate s wider and direct contact patch to the board . Please get them to make a hard plate version that can use bombers sw ers .

Jim

I love the spark baseplates as they give the baseplate s wider and direct contact patch to the board . Please get them to make a hard plate version that can use bombers sw ers .

Jim

I am trying. It sounds like he will do it. I'll post something when it happens.

Thanks Buell keep us posted . I will definately buy a set .

x2

I picked up a set of Fuse base plates at the end of the season, but have not had the courage to drill them... I'm currently riding voile plates with SnowPro toe and heel pieces adapted, but, like everyone else, want a larger range of motion.

x2

I picked up a set of Fuse base plates at the end of the season, but have not had the courage to drill them... I'm currently riding voile plates with SnowPro toe and heel pieces adapted, but, like everyone else, want a larger range of motion.

What size boot? Std or SI? Photos please!!

Thanks, Bryan

I will let Will know there is more than just me interested in his plate with the SWs.

DT, sounds like we have almost the same set up.

Here are my F2s direct mounted to the Voile plate. The holes line up perfectly. I ride flat with this set up but could use lift and cant just like the standard F2 Race Titaniums.

With the standard length Voile plate, I doubt this would work for anything over a 27 mondo boot (if that), as I am maxed out on the plate and don't have a lot of room on the binding adjustment. I ride 25 mondo AT boots with a 288 mm sole length.

post-2671-141842319616_thumb.jpg

post-2671-141842319619_thumb.jpg

What size boot? Std or SI? Photos please!!

Thanks, Bryan

AT boots in MP26. On the Voile plates, I do have the bindings adjusted to maximum size.

DT, sounds like we have almost the same set up.

Definitely. Since I am a bigger guy, I chose the SnowPros since they have double the number mounting bolts. I will post photos later tonight.

The Karakorum system seems like the advancement I've been looking for but is still limited to low angles, and soft boots. I like "no loose parts" design.

Ride-mode-interface.jpg

board_clip.jpg

contact-points.jpg

• Binding Weight: 920g per side (medium binding)
  • Stack Height: 14.5mm (.57 in)
  • Change Over Time: less than 2 minutes (includes removing skins, collapsing poles, packing gear)
    • Removal of bindings not required to change from snowboard to skis

[*] Materials: Aluminum, Stainless Steel, Engineering Plastics

[*] No loose parts or pins

[*] Mounting: existing production splitboard hole pattern or comes with a DIY mounting template

holy ****!

awesome, about time someone stepped up.