Note to New Members ×

In search of a BX board...

BliTzKri3g

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new/used board for my soft set up. I've been looking at some BX boards (Kessler, Oxess, Prior) but not sure if they would be good in pow. I want a board that can carve on piste but can also handle off piste when I can't ride my WCRM.

The other boards I've been reading up on are the Donek (incline, razor, saber), Elan Vertigo, Palmer Crown, and even the new never summer Raptor. Some great reviews on BOL for the Kessler BX, Donek Incline and Tanker as an all round board. Has anyone tried a shorter Tanker in the 160s?

But alot of them have a smaller SCR and I would like to E-carve if I can in my softies. Yes, I could always go with 4WD or Axess but as much as I love riding in hardboots I still want to ride softies at times.

If you guys have tried any of the above mentioned, your input would be greatly appreciated or even further recommendations would be great!

Thanks,

Kevin

Personally I feel that you are asking too much from a single snowboard. SBX boards rip on groomers and rail turns "almost" as good as a decent plate set up.....But they certainly are not powder boards. Most have too blunted noses to provide good float in pow.

Kesslers do ride OK in powder, but are fragile and prone to bending if landing in powder too far forward. I would stear clear is you can only afford one.

Oxess are awesome boards, some would argure that they ride better then the Kesslers, they are certainly more durable too. But the nose shape is pretty bad for any powder riding. I would contact Marciel at Oxess and see how much he would do a custom shape for you too add some nose to make the boards better for off-piste. Your probably looking at around 1100 Swiss francs for that set up.

Prior does not really make a real SBX focused board.

The other boards you mentioned are so different that it's hard to even compare them to eachother.

Yeah I know what you mean, currently I am trying to narrow down my selection and I got time for that since it is the summer. What I am really looking for is an all mountain board but I want something inbetween because freerides just dont rail like race boards, hence why I am looking at BX boards.

The palmer crown and elan vertigo are decent BX boards from my understanding. They claim to be good off piste too...

When the winter comes I can definitely demo the new Prior BX.

BX or carving performance in many ways can require board features that don't do well in powder. It is possible to blend certain features to try to get the best of both worlds. I'd be happy to custom shape something for you. The price right now would be $680. It is likely to go up a little bit towards the end of the summer.

BX or carving performance in many ways can require board features that don't do well in powder. It is possible to blend certain features to try to get the best of both worlds. I'd be happy to custom shape something for you. The price right now would be $680. It is likely to go up a little bit towards the end of the summer.

I too am looking for the holy grail of "in between boards" Not alpine, not plate, not freestyle, not bx...You tell us Sean??? I would love to rail turns and hit the whole mountain but want to do it in softies and ride it switch. Why can't there be a quiver of one?

$680 is a pretty good price point that Sean is offering, I'd for sure look into that.

For sure! I have been looking at Coda as they are local for me but they do not offer the variety of shapes and customization that Donek is offering. Perhaps more of these boutique board makers will start catering to those of us that choose to carve but ride soft? :o

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new/used board for my soft set up. I've been looking at some BX boards (Kessler, Oxess, Prior) but not sure if they would be good in pow. I want a board that can carve on piste but can also handle off piste when I can't ride my WCRM.

The other boards I've been reading up on are the Donek (incline, razor, saber), Elan Vertigo, Palmer Crown, Volkl Coal, Tanker and even the new never summer Raptor. Some great reviews on BOL for the Kessler BX, Donek Incline and Tanker as an all round board. Has anyone tried a shorter Tanker in the 160s?

But alot of them have a smaller SCR and I would like to E-carve if I can in my softies. Yes, I could always go with 4WD or Axess but as much as I love riding in hardboots I still want to ride softies at times.

If you guys have tried any of the above mentioned, your input would be greatly appreciated or even further recommendations would be great!

Thanks,

Kevin

You need to get Madd. The Madd BX CB is by far the best crud cruncher I've ridden. 168cm with more edge hold than you could ask for in crunchy conditions. This thing only gets better the worse the conditions get. In perfect conditions I reach for my longer, Sims, but when it gets packed and hard, the Madd is what you want.

You need to get Madd. The Madd BX CB is by far the best crud cruncher I've ridden. 168cm with more edge hold than you could ask for in crunchy conditions. This thing only gets better the worse the conditions get. In perfect conditions I reach for my longer, Sims, but when it gets packed and hard, the Madd is what you want.

what other modern BX boards have you been on?

I guess, what do you mean by Powder ? 3", 6", 9", over 12" where do you mostly ride Powder? Coast or Interior...

Seems like Doneks invitation and experience would suit you well... IMO

Phil summed it up with the Nose description on the modern BX boards. Watching BX races the last couple years, seems as though the modern boards are now more Race oriented as opposed to working well in Powder...Dive baby Dive...:eek:

Maybe just ride plates on an all mountain to get what your looking for...I know a few who do just that and enjoy.

Look for a well used pair of HB's that are really SB's like Boardski perhaps ? He might even have an extra pair :)

A stiff carve oriented board doesn't always excel in powder for a couple of reasons. The stiffness and camber tend to make it want to dive. Some of our BX stuff has actually softened up though. Given the decambering and softer flex, I think you might find it will do ok. If we lengthen the shovel, that will help. I think we can combine some features from various boards and generate a board that will do what you're asking. I'd suggest going with a VSR sidecut as that geometry works better with a flex that functions better in powder.

I too am looking for the holy grail of "in between boards" Not alpine, not plate, not freestyle, not bx...You tell us Sean??? I would love to rail turns and hit the whole mountain but want to do it in softies and ride it switch. Why can't there be a quiver of one?

So Sean, Do you think there is the ultimate quiver killer possible for someone like me that loves railing tight radius turns in softies both regular and switch? A real "tweener" type board for the aggressive softboot carver?

A stiff carve oriented board doesn't always excel in powder for a couple of reasons. The stiffness and camber tend to make it want to dive. Some of our BX stuff has actually softened up though. Given the decambering and softer flex, I think you might find it will do ok. If we lengthen the shovel, that will help. I think we can combine some features from various boards and generate a board that will do what you're asking. I'd suggest going with a VSR sidecut as that geometry works better with a flex that functions better in powder.

I thought the Razor was designed to do what he wants ?

SB Carving and works great in powder too ?

I have not ridden one however, so I can not suggest such.

So Sean, Do you think there is the ultimate quiver killer possible for someone like me that loves railing tight radius turns in softies both regular and switch? A real "tweener" type board for the aggressive softboot carver?

If you're doing a lot of switch, I wouldn't recommend the vsr geometry. It really depends on what your goal is. A board designed to carve regular and switch is unlikely to ever perform well in powder. Powder performance is really about having more surface area in front of the rider than behind, where your previous requirement necessitates a twin design. You could make a twin shape with directional tip and tails. You could truncate the tail so it's very short and lengthen the tip. I'm not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for though. I guess a clear definition of what you want in performance would really help.

I thought the Razor was designed to do what he wants ?

SB Carving and works great in powder too ?

I have not ridden one however, so I can not suggest such.

The razor is an excellent softboot carver. It's overall shape does lend itself to powder as well. I expect we'll be redesigning it this summer to incorporate some of the newer shaping we've been working on. I think some modifications to it would help achieve these goals even better.

The razor is an excellent softboot carver. It's overall shape does lend itself to powder as well. I expect we'll be redesigning it this summer to incorporate some of the newer shaping we've been working on. I think some modifications to it would help achieve these goals even better.

That is what I have heard !

Hopefully I will get a chance to try one in the future...

Thanks

If you're doing a lot of switch, I wouldn't recommend the vsr geometry. It really depends on what your goal is. A board designed to carve regular and switch is unlikely to ever perform well in powder. Powder performance is really about having more surface area in front of the rider than behind, where your previous requirement necessitates a twin design. You could make a twin shape with directional tip and tails. You could truncate the tail so it's very short and lengthen the tip. I'm not 100% sure if this is what you are looking for though. I guess a clear definition of what you want in performance would really help.

Thanks Sean. I really don't get much pow here in Southern Cal. I spent most of my riding in Washington State back in the 90's at Crystal Mountain.

90's boards:

Lib Tech: many freestyle decks with freestyle bindings/ a couple of inner-course and a couple of non asym carving prototypes all on 3 straps.

Burton: Air/asym air/pj's/m6/alps/fl/

I currently ride a Burton Custom 162 with flow bindings at 21 front and -3 back foot center on effective edge. I also have an Ultra Prime162 that I have been dabbling with for the past 9 years or so. The Ultra prime gets about 4-6 runs a day and I really enjoy it.

I am determined to spend more time on plates but with limited days a season, I am looking for the best possible freeride board possible. A board with a sub 10m sidecut radius? 25cm or less width? twin/directional? Metal dampneing? slight de-camber tip and tail with traditional camber? An aggressive twin that performs in bumps and crud that I can lay over when there is Hero Grooming!

I think, and have been told that I can carve a freestyle board like a plate board both regular and switch with these angles and stance but I feel off the shelf boards lack the performance I am looking for.

I never change my stance for any conditions, I just ride in the back seat for powder days and never have an issue. Riding adverse and rapidly changing conditions in the Northwest for so many years forced me to adapt. Going from 160+ days a season from 90'-99' down to about 10-20 days a season has not helped improve my hardboot riding as quickly as I would like but having a finely tuned freestyle/freeride deck would make those few days so much better. Sorry so long winded but just wanted to clarify. I love bumps too. Size 8.5-9 boot/200lbs regular foot/5'10"

:barf:

I am determined to spend more time on plates but with limited days a season, I am looking for the best possible freeride board possible. A board with a sub 10m sidecut radius? 25cm or less width? twin/directional? Metal dampneing? slight de-camber tip and tail with traditional camber? An aggressive twin that performs in bumps and crud that I can lay over when there is Hero Grooming!

I totally agree with you, that is what I am looking for too (our specs are the same minus the weight). I ride in the west coast, I would probably ride groomers more then powder but those days we get heavy snowfall, I want to be out there with a board that can surf well and not suffer too much leg burn even if my bindings are set back.

I dont really care for the twin as I rarely ride switch so VSR would work well. So I guess you could say I am looking for a Razor style board but I would love to see the new shape you have planned for it and possibly some metal *bling bling* haha.

Anyone know a good length for riding in the trees. I am 5'11, I was thinking inbetween 158-165?

Kevin

Anyone know a good length for riding in the trees. I am 5'11, I was thinking inbetween 158-165?

Well it depends how far apart the trees are, but some people thing shorter is easier. I think that more important is the tail design, which is why I'm not convinced personally about piste boards in powder.

Sure, you can tweak the nose radius and flex, but the tail flex and design is at least as important for a good tree ride. The idea of riding a powder board switch doesn't make much sense to me, perhaps that's why.

Thanks Sean. I really don't get much pow here in Southern Cal. I spent most of my riding in Washington State back in the 90's at Crystal Mountain.

90's boards:

Lib Tech: many freestyle decks with freestyle bindings/ a couple of inner-course and a couple of non asym carving prototypes all on 3 straps.

Burton: Air/asym air/pj's/m6/alps/fl/

I currently ride a Burton Custom 162 with flow bindings at 21 front and -3 back foot center on effective edge. I also have an Ultra Prime162 that I have been dabbling with for the past 9 years or so. The Ultra prime gets about 4-6 runs a day and I really enjoy it.

I think, and have been told that I can carve a freestyle board like a plate board both regular and switch with these angles and stance but I feel off the shelf boards lack the performance I am looking for.

I never change my stance for any conditions, I just ride in the back seat for powder days and never have an issue. Riding adverse and rapidly changing conditions in the Northwest for so many years forced me to adapt. Going from 160+ days a season from 90'-99' down to about 10-20 days a season has not helped improve my hardboot riding as quickly as I would like but having a finely tuned freestyle/freeride deck would make those few days so much better. Sorry so long winded but just wanted to clarify. I love bumps too. Size 8.5-9 boot/200lbs regular foot/5'10"

:barf:

Sorry for disappearing for a couple days. Our primary base grinder bit the dust on Tuesday and I've been putting all my energy and time into overhauling it. Everything is now apart, stripped down, sand blasted and ready for paint tomorrow.

Your description is very helpful. You've laid out pretty much all the specs and what you want the board to do. I would have no problem going from there to a design and board. Just let me know if you want to pull the trigger.

I totally agree with you, that is what I am looking for too (our specs are the same minus the weight). I ride in the west coast, I would probably ride groomers more then powder but those days we get heavy snowfall, I want to be out there with a board that can surf well and not suffer too much leg burn even if my bindings are set back.

I dont really care for the twin as I rarely ride switch so VSR would work well. So I guess you could say I am looking for a Razor style board but I would love to see the new shape you have planned for it and possibly some metal *bling bling* haha.

Kevin

This is easily executed. A variation on what is above, but all within my current shaping capabilities.

Kevin,

There are few options to explore, in the case you didn't want to spend for a custom.

Yes, Vertigo is really good board, it carves really well and nose and shape are directional enough for pow. More all-round then most old-school Palmer BXers.

However, it sounds to me that pow / trees / off-piste is the primary goal and carving on soft groom only in-between the tree runs, right? I would seriously look into Dynastar 3800, 163 size for your weight. Very good pow/tree board (better then any of the above), yet it still carves good. Looks cool, too.

On the other hand, 680 offered by Sean is really a killer price for a full custom!