Note to New Members ×

convert burton 3-hole to 4x4

jason100

I'm not so sure that 4 x 4 disks were Ever made to fit those old 'Race-Plates' (those disks are smaller then for the newer Burton plates)

I'm gonna just say that your best bet by Far is to simply retire those binders and grab a set of the newer 'used' Burton binders which can usually be picked up 'round here for $100-or so

:cool:

I'm not so sure that 4 x 4 disks were Ever made to fit those old 'Race-Plates' (those disks are smaller then for the newer Burton plates)

I'm gonna just say that your best bet by Far is to simply retire those binders and grab a set of the newer 'used' Burton binders which can usually be picked up 'round here for $100-or so

:cool:

Its called a drill bit. We were doing it years ago. Just use a fat washer and give your self a little wiggle room. Never had any issues:biggthump

Its called a drill bit. We were doing it years ago. Just use a fat washer and give your self a little wiggle room. Never had any issues:biggthump

thanks for the replies. the drill bit plan is of course the simplest/quickest/cheapest. i have yet to find someone that actually has knowledge of these specific plates converting.

Slopestar......, regarding drilling;

1. of the three holes, two holes line up (well enough) so it requires the drilling of only the two additional holes. correct?

2. do you recall slightly countersinking the holes on top of the plates? likely not i would guess assuming that there is clearance between the top of the bolts and the bottom of the metal binding framing.

Yes.

Use existing holes. I remember being able to relieve the third hole from the existing 3-d pattern for the 4 hole pattern but you have to drill the fourth. Those old rat trap bindings were bullet proof. I broke many burton freestyle bindings from that era. Never the plates though.

Those old rat trap bindings were bullet proof.

I strongly disagree. The plastic was brittle on those bindings when they were new - it's been about 18 years or so and they are not getting any better with age.

With regards to drilling - again, I strongly disagree. I don't think there's enough plastic there to safely hold your foot to the board.

Just sayin

I agree with Eric J. Unless you get a kick out of gambling with your well being: throw those away - they are unsafe.

+1 seen those break on people mid turn, there's a reason some people used to refer to those as exploder plates.

Those plates have only one good use:

Introducing begginers into alpine and that's only if they are not too heavy. They can not put crazy force into the bindings, so it should be ok. Advantage I speak of is that they adjust to carious boot sizes without any tools.

Those cener disks are not the same as the modern Burton. Outer diameter is the same, but bevel is greater. So, you stand very little chances of finding 4x4 ones...

I wouldn't do the drilling conversion, as the disk is not solid - it is thin on top with the reinforcing webs under. Every existing hole has a "collar" under. Your new holes will not have the collar and the hole might cut an existing web and could cause the disk failure under load.

Otherwise, get yourself some more up to date bindings. Used Burton Race Plates and Snowpro Race can be found under $100, sometimes...

I strongly disagree. The plastic was brittle on those bindings when they were new - it's been about 18 years or so and they are not getting any better with age.

With regards to drilling - again, I strongly disagree. I don't think there's enough plastic there to safely hold your foot to the board.

Just sayin

Erik you are right. I had the same models without 3-d. Mounted on PJ 5/PJ 6/ Libtech Innercourse. We would drill the plates on freestyle bindings and I never broke a plate. I broke many highback connections to the baseplate though...I stand corrected. drill them for soft, chuck them for plates. Buy some new ones...

Come to think of it, there is one safe way to mount onto 4x4 board, providing that it`s not narrower then 20.5: buy the Burton Elevator plates, they mount on both patterns and accept bindings of both patterns. They go cheap on eBay.

These:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20483&stc=1&d=1264810577