Note to New Members ×

Mounting Bindings--How Few turns Are Okay?

scrapster

board should have never QC checks
I'm not at all clear about what you mean when you say this. Could you explain further, please?
If anyone cares a SAE standard sized nut is .75 of thread dia.
OK... that can be quite a few threads if you are discussing a UNF (fine thread). I think standard metric threads are close to english coarse threads (UNC). So energyrail... how many threads would you get with an M6?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just looked at the photo in post #11.

Just send it back and tell the builder to

1) quit being so chicken####

2) build the next one right

3) pay you for your time, shipping costs, etc

This cost you nearly $1,000 right? $1k for this kind of workmanship really makes me wonder.

yeah, there's a certain builder right near whistler that has has done this with more than a few people.

I'm not at all clear about what you mean when you say this. Could you explain further, please?

OK... that can be quite a few threads if you are discussing a UNF (fine thread). I think standard metric threads are close to english coarse threads (UNC). So energyrail... how many threads would you get with an M6?

A M6 has got a outside diameter (bolt) of 6mm.

The measurement from one thread to the next is 1mm.

With one turn of the screw you make a movement of 1mm in depth.

.75 of 6mm is 4.5mm.

So you should be able to turn the screw 4.5 times/revolutions and have 4.5 threads within .75 of the diameter.

Thanks negedeng... this was a perfect case of a poster (energyrail) supplying SOME information and then letting others try to fill in the blanks, often incorrectly, with respect to his intended meaning. I did not want to try to 'put words into his mouth' by spelling out what you did. One flaw in your "4.5 threads" is that there is a bit of lead in chamfer on each side of a nut which reduces how many actual full threads are available. A second flaw is that when the thread forming method is 'rolling' (which is sometimes done with nuts and almost always done with screws), a percentage of the first and last threads are not fully formed root to crest and not fully load bearing. I believe 3.5 to 4 is more realistic. But these are my thoughts, not energyrail's.

In all honesty, I'm beginning to feel like I've been goading on Scrapster when I've got nothing at risk. Easy for me to be brave when its HIS money and board at risk.

However, the general consensus (regardless if right or wrong) seems to be 100% against this board/inserts. Does anyone (OK... off season... most people may not be frequenting BOL) think this is an acceptable board to ride?

LET'S START A POLL !!!

Time to send it back. There aren't any inserts for the back binding that are good enough for three turns. It's a shame about this screw up and poor initial response from the manufacturer as their boards do ride really nicely. I've got two of their metal boards and like them a lot but if I received a board with inserts like these I wouldn't accept it. You need to speak with the OWNER of the company, not his employees.

Owner was emailed yesterday (we've been in contact before). Still waiting for a reply.

The thing that really sucks--this was supposed to be my last, big snowboard purchase before we try to have a kid. (You know, the "get all your toys before the kids come" strategy :) My wife agreed to the big $$$ only under the condition that this board would have to satisfy me for a looong time. :(

I know, Waambulance. But the fight isn't over yet.

Just curious--anyone else who has a metal board from this company have any questionable inserts? Or did I get the two lemons? (One more and I'll hit the jackpot!!!)

All of the inserts on my two metal boards from this manufacturer are fine. One thing that may play a role in this, or maybe not, is that both of mine are customs. They are both narrower than standard and also built for a 200 pound rider.

Just went downstairs and checked one of the boards. All inserts were checked on a bare board. All inserts except one were just over 4.5 turns and the one that was less was just under 4.5. So even taking measuring inaccuracy into account I'd say it's safe to say that all of mine were 4.25+ turns.

Very good news to report. The company is stepping up. There will be a slight delay due to their schedule, but the return shipping should be arranged soon and a new board will go into production ASAP. Word came from the owner. He mentioned he spoke at length with his finishing crew after my last return and isn't sure how this one slipped through afterwards.

Thanks everyone for getting me "worked up" to the appropriate degree to get this solved. I guess the ultimate proof will only occur when I get the next board (#3) in my hands. But things are certainly moving in the right direction again.

Awesome!

Even more important than you getting a new board is that the need to check such things in the QA process has been highlighted. Plus the warranty people will probably get an education about making sure the product is actually sound before denying a claim.

I work in a production environment where such feedback is quite a few steps removed from my work. When we do get any feedback it's usually so filtered by the non-technical people down the chain that it can be meaningless by the time it gets to me. As a engineer/designer I value any feedback so that I can improve the end product. You just managed to skip the chain and get the info to the important people. Plus you'll get a board that will likely have that little extra attention paid to it during the production process.

:biggthump good to hear. I hope you still have a good relationship with the builder.

In all honesty, I think you've done them a big favor even though at the moment they may view you as a bit of a thorn in their paw.

I also think you've been of service to the community in general by bringing forward the fact that we end users need to be paying more attention to mounting things to thinner boards.

Hope 3's the charm. :D