Note to New Members ×

Interesting new idea for a hardboot/board interface...

Alaskan Rover

Ah, I thought literature...

I notoiced that you keep refering to "rotating disks". You do realise that the disks are the only NON-ROTATING part of the binding, right? They are fixed to the board and it is the binding that rotates. So, you would still need to use the binding base and cut off the upper parts. Then your channel would be fixed to the base over the disk. Obvious problem is that the channel would, at certain angles, cover the disk mounting screws. Ohter problem is that re-introduction of the base would deny the concept of the boot directly on the board.

BlueB: You just answered a question that has been nagging at me like a burr in my sock. You are exactly correct!!! Somehow, I had been thinking about the disk wrongly and had forgotten that indeed, they ARE stationary! I am now so glad I was wrong, as your correction has solved MANY problems!!! A problem of stress on the T-track and disc kept coming up in my head, and I had no answer.

All that dynamic force would have been distributed to a small plate...no good! But with the disc stationary, a much larger, more stable base for the T-track can be derived...(like the platform-base of a strap-binding, with out the straps). The track can actually be far stronger now... with the added advantage that it would be FAR more "finished" looking than my above drawings, and thus more palatable to those with an interest in aesthetics. I've got an image in my mind.

I now have a better idea in my head...and mounting bolts wouldn't be a problem..they'd still be the same. And as I'd mentioned, I'd been wondering about the possibility of a harmonic damping system...a wider base to work with would better facilitate that. So my DEEP thanks for bringing that up!!! I am serious...it solved a HUGE amount of problems at once! BTW - I think ice WILL be extruded upon entry. You DO bring up a good point about the boot no longer being directly on the board, w/ a larger base...I'll have to think on that..I've got time.

Thank you, Dano, for your hilarious comment!!! It made me laugh.

As for Tex1230...need I waste electrons with a reply?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignoring the design flaws/challenges for a moment,

Why on earth are you even here? You hate hardboots and everything about them, and you are trying to design a system that ignores two of the most basic demands of the average hardboot rider - canting and ease of entry/exit. Stop cluttering the forum with your mindless drivel.

The tar is hot and the feathers are ready :eplus2:

Entertainment? Bored Brainiac? I actually enjoy the fact that he is at least well spoken - while spewing. :biggthump

Youth, wasted on the young.

Curious? Working on a government project currently?

Ignoring the design flaws/challenges for a moment,

Why on earth are you even here? You hate hardboots and everything about them, and you are trying to design a system that ignores two of the most basic demands of the average hardboot rider - canting and ease of entry/exit. Stop cluttering the forum with your mindless drivel.

Hey, at least he's being civil now and not bashing on the forum for focusing on hard booting like he was a week ago.

Hey, at least he's being civil now and not bashing on the forum for focusing on hard booting like he was a week ago.

I agree, however, I for one, consider his motives "Highly Suspect" and IMO he has a ways to go to earn back any form of trust. I consider him to be a slightly smarter than average Troll. I think he is just bored and is looking for a forum community to play with. I.E. "Jack around"

I think Tex , in his always charming pointedness, said it best.

Why on earth are you even here?

I agree, however, I for one, consider his motives "Highly Suspect" and IMO he has a ways to go to earn back any form of trust. I consider him to be a slightly smarter than average Troll. I think he is just bored and is looking for a forum community to play with. I.E. "Jack around"

Some dogs just seem like they need to bark a lot and piss everywhere before they settle down. ;)

Might I suggest that you get some material that is very similar to what you would like to use, and cram the suckers full of snow and ice and see how well they are going to clear themselves.

That indeed. :rolleyes:

AND. My old bones hurt just thinking about trying to get the second boot started in the track while dancing on a icy landing? :( In theory it would be easier to put the back foot on the track and then the front? That would not be so handy getting on and off the chairlift. :smashfrea

AlaskanRover, there have been a lot of used boards with bindings available in the classifieds here. You'd have a lot more food for thought and tinkering if you got yourself one and checked it out closely. You might even like riding it! Riding it will also demonstrate how important cant and lift are, where you want rigidity and where you don't, and a number of things you seem to be very interested in.

As for outsiders coming up with the next great idea, I think usually those outsiders have done their homework. In fact, it's pretty common that outsiders have a much higher standard to meet in this respect than insiders do.

I will take every pair of TD1s you can find for 20$

PS. I know of allot of riders that do quite well and enjoy the TD1. It is not my preferred bindings, however, I still see it as a burly work horse of a binding.

Oh, I liked them, too. But not at flat angles. Brutally painful, clumsy, ungainly riding.

AlaskanRover, there have been a lot of used boards with bindings available in the classifieds here. You'd have a lot more food for thought and tinkering if you got yourself one and checked it out closely. You might even like riding it! Riding it will also demonstrate how important cant and lift are, where you want rigidity and where you don't, and a number of things you seem to be very interested in.

As for outsiders coming up with the next great idea, I think usually those outsiders have done their homework. In fact, it's pretty common that outsiders have a much higher standard to meet in this respect than insiders do.

Teach: You bring up a good point about used equipment....Right now, however, i nam on the Chesapeake, in an area that oddly considers snow some sort of anathema, to be shunned. When I get over to Wintergreen area, I intend to look at as much stuff as possible.

Keep, in mind, however, that for freeriding, cant and lift are largely negated as issues, as most ride flat. I guess my hypothesis has shifted to how a non-carve hard-boot system can better be adapted to freeride...and trying to get tighter interface to facililitate those advantages that a hardboot would provide, even postulating the possibility of some sort of harmonic damping. It would also be interesting to wonder about hardboot with composite absorbtive properties.

As with the others...thanks for your input, Teach.

Part of what I wanted to say is that yes, you don't really need cant/lift with strap bindings, because there's so much slop and mush (not meant in a derogatory way; I ride soft boots a lot and like them and am only this season riding hard boots) that if the ideal position for your front foot is to rock outward slightly, you will just do that without even thinking, just like in shoes. But with hard boots that's not going to work, and it's going to be really painful fighting your setup. I just did that today, so I know! It's much more critical to get things right with hard boots, and until you ride them you'll likely have wrong ideas.

Now having cant/lift might still be a good idea for strap bindings. I have some Ride CADs that allow this that I haven't tried yet. Then there are Catek Freerides -- wish I had some to try!

People here shun snow too, but that doesn't stop the carving. Neither does lack of snowfall! You're probably just an hour or two south from here...

Teach: You bring up a good point about used equipment....Right now, however, i nam on the Chesapeake, in an area that oddly considers snow some sort of anathema, to be shunned. When I get over to Wintergreen area, I intend to look at as much stuff as possible.

Keep, in mind, however, that for freeriding, cant and lift are largely negated as issues, as most ride flat. I guess my hypothesis has shifted to how a non-carve hard-boot system can better be adapted to freeride...and trying to get tighter interface to facililitate those advantages that a hardboot would provide, even postulating the possibility of some sort of harmonic damping. It would also be interesting to wonder about hardboot with composite absorbtive properties.

As with the others...thanks for your input, Teach.

As demonstrated by the last pedantic post, your ratiocination is of some small degree interesting. I still believe you are simply a machinator looking for a place to ruminate.

Entertainment? Bored Brainiac? I actually enjoy the fact that he is at least well spoken - while spewing. :biggthump

I find that his writing mirrors his engineering:

• Well thought out at the small scale: complete sentences and the grammar is fine; individual binding components like the t-track and HDPE bumpers make sense.
  • Not very well though out at the large scale: overall posts have no clear organization or even point, and are just random musings and pedantic wandering; individual binding components fit together into a binding that has obvious flaws, and if it worked would not be in service of a coherent goal.

I really don't mean this in a super hatey way - I am aware that I possess the same flaws. Once I had this idea that I wanted to write a videogame, so I taught myself Flash, integrated a 3rd party physics engine into it, and then wrote this really cool flight control system so that my little autonomous, AI-controlled flying ships could recover from any trajectory and spin back to a stable hovering state and travel to different locations solely by adjusting thrust from 2 engines. It was totally awesome, and I had fun doing it, but I completely neglected to think about the whole "gameplay" part of it. All I had was a cool automated flight control system and a physics engine.

If ARover actually succeeds, he will have a boot with a knob on the bottom that cleanly fits into a track... and nothing else (usable). Maybe that will be enough for him in the same way designing and debugging and perfecting a flight control system was for me, but he's not making a usable binding.

Keep, in mind, however, that for freeriding, cant and lift are largely negated as issues, as most ride flat.

You can because you're riding soft boots. Put on some ski boots, place your feet ~21 inches apart or however far apart your stance is, and try to get both soles perfectly flat on the ground. Brutal:

Bruce-at-a-disco-bruce-willis-1412976-1024-768.jpg

I find that his writing mirrors his engineering:

• Well thought out at the small scale: complete sentences and the grammar is fine; individual binding components like the t-track and HDPE bumpers make sense.
  • Not very well though out at the large scale: overall posts have no clear organization or even point, and are just random musings and pedantic wandering; individual binding components fit together into a binding that has obvious flaws, and if it worked would not be in service of a coherent goal.

I really don't mean this in a super hatey way - I am aware that I possess the same flaws. Once I had this idea that I wanted to write a videogame, so I taught myself Flash, integrated a 3rd party physics engine into it, and then wrote this really cool flight control system so that my little autonomous, AI-controlled flying ships could recover from any trajectory and spin back to a stable hovering state and travel to different locations solely by adjusting thrust from 2 engines. It was totally awesome, and I had fun doing it, but I completely neglected to think about the whole "gameplay" part of it. All I had was a cool automated flight control system and a physics engine.

If ARover actually succeeds, he will have a boot with a knob on the bottom that cleanly fits into a track... and nothing else (usable). Maybe that will be enough for him in the same way designing and debugging and perfecting a flight control system was for me, but he's not making a usable binding.

You can because you're riding soft boots. Put on some ski boots, place your feet ~21 inches apart or however far apart your stance is, and try to get both soles perfectly flat on the ground. Brutal:

Bruce-at-a-disco-bruce-willis-1412976-1024-768.jpg

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there!

<object width="660" height="525"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkjQkassrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVkjQkassrs&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hd=1&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="525"></embed></object>

gotcha, cool.

Booshyte Threadjack. Original dirty lyrics! Amusing interview at the end.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQiUiGn4USc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQiUiGn4USc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Alaskan, need a helmet? This one might not be big enough.

post-182-141842308703_thumb.jpg