Note to New Members ×

setting up a GS course

Call me jack

inky,

remember the fhukn knoll on bittersweat what a buzz kill, come off the steeps honkin at full speed, the cat track launched you 30' airborne right at the next gate. :freak3: i rememeber it would be you, reamus and i , staring at this knoll every sat/sun morning, trying to figure out how to make it go away. of coarse chulkie dukes "R.I.P" would be at the lodge with his latte, hittin on all the smashed raviolied cougers!

when i started setting coarses by myself, i used a rope at the approved length for that particular discipline gs or sl. i had one of my riders hold it on the stubbie we just set, then pull it to the next stubbie set. my coarses, were very consitant, but not very challenging unless the terrain played a role in it, with knolls, rollers, etc, etc.

theres is no replacemenet for displacement! 2008 6.7l outlawed cummins :AR15firin

Before placing the first gate look at the available terrain and try to use the bumps, rolls and banks to make it more playfull. I missed standard GS after PGS was started because there was more room to play with the course.

+1 to what the others said.

Ink

"the parallel giant slalom has to be set as follows: 11-15% of the vertical drop in meters = number of turns by rounding up or down into the nearest decimal number

the recommended distance between gates should be 20 to 25 meters"

can some body tell me what this means?

inky,

theres is no replacemenet for displacement! 2008 6.7l outlawed cummins :AR15firin

dual over head cams: the replacement for displacement

i like your rope idea btw

if you have vertical drop of 200M on you course, you need a total of 22-30 Turns (a delay...or banana counts as 1 turn). the distance between gates should be 20-25M. (this is where the rope comes in). Set the course nice and rhythmic like that and you should be fine. When you set, Look up the course to maintain a good line, but also look down the course to see what the terrain does. Keep safety in mind. look at fall zones (i.e. where will an athlete fall and slide to) as a first time setter, your best bet is to set a bunch of times with an experienced setter. The other thing is that you have to ride the course yourself. there is no better way than running your own course to learn how badly you screwed up...

inky,

remember the fhukn knoll on bittersweat what a buzz kill, come off the steeps honkin at full speed, the cat track launched you 30' airborne right at the next gate. :freak3: i rememeber it would be you, reamus and i , staring at this knoll every sat/sun morning, trying to figure out how to make it go away. of coarse chulkie dukes "R.I.P" would be at the lodge with his latte, hittin on all the smashed raviolied cougers!

:AR15firin

Ah the memories. Nuttin lyk goin big in spandex wit yur bum bouncin about fo all the world to see and tryin to stik da next gate. Latte and pastries, Good times indeed.

Good point JD. Setting with the rope is a great way to get a feel for the size and shape of turns but can be very consistent and some what boring. After getting a feel for it you can play with the terrain to make it more fun.

Ink

Call_me_jack:

Is someone or some team at Afton asking you to set gates?

I probably have an extra USASA handbook (in print) that I can give you.

Until we switch over to Metric as a standard, it may be easier for you to think in terms of "feet".

SL measures 9-13 Meters.. or, ~30-40 feet (gate to gate.)

GS 20-25 Meters, or 65-80 feet between gates.

(The FIS organization has different SL requirements/suggestions..

I think 7-15 Meters, but let's just get you started setting in the right ballpark.)

We set at Hyland Hills a couple times s a week as part of the G-Team Alpine program. Let me know if you are interested in sitting-in on one or two of our evening alpine practices, and we could go over some of the basics of course setting - you can look over my shoulder. The last few weeks would not have worked as we were in preparation for our last big regional race. The next few Wed and Thurs evenings might.

Call_me_jack:

Is someone or some team at Afton asking you to set gates?

I probably have an extra USASA handbook (in print) that I can give you.

Until we switch over to Metric as a standard, it may be easier for you to think in terms of "feet".

SL measures 9-13 Meters.. or, ~30-40 feet (gate to gate.)

GS 20-25 Meters, or 65-80 feet between gates.

(The FIS organization has different SL requirements/suggestions..

I think 7-15 Meters, but let's just get you started setting in the right ballpark.)

We set at Hyland Hills a couple times s a week as part of the G-Team Alpine program. Let me know if you are interested in sitting-in on one or two of our evening alpine practices, and we could go over some of the basics of course setting - you can look over my shoulder. The last few weeks would not have worked as we were in preparation for our last big regional race. The next few Wed and Thurs evenings might.

i would be very interested.

No one asked me to set up gates, but i talked to the race director, at afton, and he said if i wanted to get 10 or so people together some morning before nastar, and set up a gs practice course, he'd be happy to support us with the idea. I've never run SB gates before, and i guess talking to you about it a few weeks ago just kinda got me excited. Plus the down hill nastar gates are just kinda a bummer cause they're so much taylor'd for skiing

Jack,

I have set up gates before, if afton is willing to let you set and run the course for free I would be happy to help you set them up. The key is making sure the fall line doesn't lead the rider down into a lift tower (or a snow gun) in the event of a boot out on the course, which is the challenge at afton. Let me know if you want a hand.

Noah, is that you?

-Scott

Jack,

I have set up gates before, if afton is willing to let you set and run the course for free I would be happy to help you set them up. The key is making sure the fall line doesn't lead the rider down into a lift tower (or a snow gun) in the event of a boot out on the course, which is the challenge at afton. Let me know if you want a hand.

Noah, is that you?

-Scott

yeah dude, if you wanna help, that'd be great. i'm gonna talk to Nathan tomorrow, and make sure it works. (him and i have already talked about this) i'm gonna be gunning for sunday morning (7th?), which isn't really your day, but let me know