Note to New Members ×

Argghhhh!! Step ins.

AaronG

Just returned from an awesome two day trip to Mammoth, boarded off of Dave's and Cornice, but mostly rode on Chair 1,2, and 3. Awesome conditions for October. On to my dilemna, I had a huge problem with snow sticking to the heel of my boot making engaging the pins into the receptacle a long and tedious process. I would chip the snow off with my handy dandy bicycle multi-tool that I carry with me, but the snow kept packing up on the heel.

What do the other riders do, who own step ins, to alleviate this problem. I sure like the convenience of step ins but at this point I am thinking of going back to standards.

Do you spray your boots down with PAM?? Silicon??

If a solution is not found, any body want to buy a step in kit for TD1s and Catek Olympics?? OH, and and Intec heel kit too.

Guest Randy S.

Its not usually too big a deal. I put a stomp pad on a couple of my boards and scrape my boot soles on that. I've heard of people spraying stuff on the soles of their boots, but it seems like overkill to me.

back when I lived in in Cali and I was using K2 stepins I regularly Pam'd both the bottom of my boots and the metal of my bindings to eliminate sticky ice...I only forgot once...I swore a blue streak 2 miles wide and my wife made sure to remind me on all further trips

Guest rick ferguson

Get over it, simply scrap your heels on your bindings or stomp pad, no big deal! step in or not , the same snow sticks to all heels! Was this really worth a posting? Pussy!!!!

In certain weather/snow conditions I get lumps of ice forming on the bottom of my boots. I get them off by scraping the boot sole against the upturned edges of the step-in heel piece.

These lumps of snow would be just as big a problem with non step-ins, except the non step-ins aren't so good for scraping your boot sole against!

IOW, this problem has nothing to do with step-ins.

ncermak,

Well, as an ex-sierra rider I can attest to the "sticky" snow you guys can get. I cannot remember the last time had snow stick to the boot here in the Rockies :D . However, as mentioned above, you have one very effective tool already mounted on your board, the binding itself.

On most step-ins (TD's, Cateks, Deeluxe, etc.) they tend to all have a "wing" or tall metal sides that make up the receiver. Just run the bottom of your boot along the top of this before stepping in and you will be good to go.

One tip is to also make use of the visual check found on most step-ins. Last year we added a new cut to the rear receiver that lets you look down and see that the pins is engaged. Try and get in the habit of this if there is a concern for snow build-up.

I wish we had the problem of too much snow right now :rolleyes:

I use the clicker system on my freeride boards and I too have had problems. Many people have nick-named the clicker the "clogger". And the way they are designed you can punch out the snow using the t-shaped latch. Overall, its worked great and many times I can click-in on the fly before the skiiers can get their pole straps on. lol I do love the Pam/silicone idea and topic of the tread. thanks

hey Rick Ferguson, i can see by the number of posts that you have you might be considered a rookie here. Is it necessary to call someone a "*ussy". There are some simple guidelines to using this forum and personal attacks are one of the no nos. I don't care if it is in jest, you don't know me well enough to call me that.

FYI, I upgraded from standard bindings to step ins and had not encountered this problem with the standards from what I remember. I was only asking some others for some input.

If you can't play nice, don't play at all!

I too just upgraded to step-ins (TD2) and I'm glad this was brought up - kinda like the silicone idea. The main part the season shouldn't be too much of an issue (snow's pretty dry here!), but gets slurpy-like in the spring.

Forgive me, I digress here a bit. Some great info. is shared here at BOL, but occasionally I see some topics come up on the message board that I kinda scratch my head at (though most of them are kinda fun and amusing). This particular topic is carving equipment specific - so what's up with the attack? This is the kind of crap that chases people away from the forum. "Gee, I'd better be careful what I ask here, may be too dumb a question for those BOL carving experts" Apparently it was valid enough topic for Fin to reply to. Was kinda hoping that oldvolvosrule and rick ferguson were buds just messin' with each other - guess not!

Part of it might have to do with the step in motion itself. In the standards you slide the heel in which helps scrape the snow off- step-ins are more downward, packing it in. In the cascades I have had occasion to chip off the ice after a few runs, but always remember to check the pins for a positive fit. I still ove my step-ins.

Chiming in late here but one "tool" you might to consider carrying is an old credit card. I punched a hole in an old credit card and attached it to one of those spring-loaded beltclip thingees that's meant for keys. Works well and much more gentle on your boots and bindings than your girlfriend/wife/kid's ski poles.

BTW, I actually "downgraded" to standard clips from my step-ins this year. I didn't like the rock-solid, no give feel of the step-ins. I also had trouble with an Intec pin breaking off once. Luckily, I noticed in the lift line and not during a high speed run.

Guest boogieman

Whats with the silicon, what is the exact name of it and where can i buy it. thanks

I have orderd myself a pair of catec step ins and im starting to regret it when i read all of this since it takes me only like 5 sec to lock my foot in with regular bindings

and most of the time i dont even take my back foot out i just stay with both feet locked even on chairlifts its easy but sometimes they make me take my foot out for safety reasens they say otherwise i stay in or if theres a long cue that goes uphil i have to do it also but most of the time i dont