carvin29

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, just completed 5 days on my new board in Colorado. Overall, I'm disappointed. The board is simply not damp and beat the **** out of me on choppy snow. Part of me thinks this is due to me using Burton C02 bindings because a lot of people have remarked the board soaks up chop well, etc.

In powder, the nose works awesome and the board pivots very well on steep terrain. It carves well on groomers and the big sidecut is a lot of fun.

I am thinking of a couple of different approaches to help with dampness- either try a pair of Burton P1 bindings or add a layer of rubber or something under my bindings.

I just picked up an A-Frame 162 to use for the rest of thisseason but I'm hoping to find a used one next season. Do you plan on keeping the Flagship? :)

the UFC 183 from virus is a fantastic board for bumpy snow... despite it long length... it would be my go to board for slopes that need grooming.

If the UFC BX is similar in a flex.. it might be the freeride board... but its nose length might be too short to really suck it all up like its bigger brother.... the UFC freecarver.

• 3 weeks later...
You have nearly exactly my old setup. I loved my T6 156 with CO2 bindings. ...that is until I rode the Rossignol JDub 154 last year and was blown away. It's not as stiff as the T6. It has a decent balance between lively-ness and damp-ness.

In addition, the Magnetraction lets the board be really short (and thusly very quick turning and responsive), while still holding its edge really well. On my JDub, I have been able to do about 270° worth of a 360° carve. I wasn't able to do that on my T6. ...and the Magnetraction has the other advantage that you don't have to be as much of a stickler about edge tuning to still hold an edge on the hardest of icy snow.

I demo'd 15+ boards in my search for the ultimate freeride machine. The only board I liked nearly as much as the JDub was a Never Summer. The NS was even more damp than the JDub, but NS doesn't do Magnetraction.

I'm 170 pounds, which means I'm at the high end of the weight range on the JDub 154, but the 158 just didn't feel right for me. The 154 is just the coolest riding board. I can't say enough good things about it.

caveat: the following is about soft boot carving only..... in case I am not clear in spots. Don't want anything misunderstood. Sic....

Sooperburd,

Ever since reading this post last year I have been interested in the JDUB as, over the years, my favorite board was the old wood core Burton Balance (T6 predecessors) so I could immediately relate to your post. I'm 6 foot and 185 lbs so I went with the 158 (2009 model Jdub // magtec // positive camber).

What a board; breathtaking, stunning, only words I can find to label it.

I was actually bumming, right after UPS delivered it, as it has a fat waist and an even fatter tail and nose (because of the sidecut in the 7's). I'm like, this is "not good". In the garage, alongside my 157.5 Burton Balance or my 160 Donek Incline it looked more like a powder board to me. FAT. But 300 feet into my first run and I was blown away. It is insane from edge to edge, an expert level board for sure as it would kill a beginner (and I have never said that about a soft boot board ever before ! ). It initiates and then lays into the most awesome ripping carves. As big as the board looks, lugging it around, it really rides like a 153 or 154 to me. It feels small, nimble, rides switch stance like its still going regular. a true twin. Has incredible pop (not that I ever do the park rat thing but, from time to time, I must save my "tib & fib" clearing a ditch in the glades).

As a rule I have always loved smaller boards and my Donek Incline (160) has always felt a bit too big for me, a bit unwieldy (even with stiff Flows on it). But this fat, wide "158" Jdub, is so nimble, so quick that, knowing what I know now, may have purchased the 161 length. Yet it is soooo damp over rough stuff. Incredible. Rossi knows what they are doing !!

(( magtec is great too. really shows it stuff on frozen, crunchy hardpack. lays a shallower, less defined track (from the lift) than a smooth edge but the feeling is way more hooked up. ))

Sic..

some old "sig" pics on my obsolete boards (which is like all 5 now thanks to the Jdub). lol

failed but pretty

the real deal

abusing the privilege