Hot Rod Race Wax!

t.stoughton

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I assume radial abrasion is the same as linear?

The Taber abrasion test is a standardized ASTM controlled abrasion test. The sample rotates under a set of abrasion wheels dictated by the ASTM standard at a set RPM and weight and inspected after a set number of rotations. There for giving you a radial abrasion.....

Here is a picture:

abraser_callouts.jpg

Probably more than you wanted to know, but hey, that's what I am here for.

I am not trying to stand on Phil's side, BUT.

For something with as many variables as wax you can really only do a qualitative analysis, you will never really be able to get a quantitative number, I do believe that is why producers do not publish one. If they do, it really doesn't mean a whole lot.

You need to do a direct comparison to get any reasonably usable data, your wax vs. the others, your substrate, your surfaces.

Mud, Actually you are making my point for me again on subjective testing and the huge number of veriables that would be or are out of our controll. Someone somewhere is going to have a variation that was not tested for and complain about no test data for their situation. We can not purchase every piece of equipment made, configure it every possible, try every type of base grind and create a somewhat repetable track for ultimatly what will be subjective testing. Real life testing on your equipment and setup, in your conditions is the only real way to evaluate. Since there was a huge demand for Sample Size Sales we have made that an option to support the group and this issue. goto http://www.shop.rod-llc.com/ I recommend reading the Testimonials on our website and contacting those rider on Bomber. To verify goto http://www.rod-llc.com/Testimonials.html

Sincerely, HRRW

the wax isn't that expensive

try it

if you like it, buy more

if you don't like it, don't buy it

it's just wax

i don't think you need quantitative results published in the

american journal of snowboard wax to try it

enjoy

keep up the good work tony

PC Thanks.... and your comments are dead on! You are absolutly right. Remebmer if you power brush one very lite pass, tip to tail. I will have FREE samples for LCS. We are planning to discontinue the" White" 0 to -24 for the "Green" -5 to -27.

I was mostly trying to be constructive in the first post. the second post I was having a bit of confusion.

Like I said, on your website just try to communicate what this stuff is a little more, the average guy would get there and not really know why this costs more than the giant brick of one ball jay or whatever else they found at the local jib shop. I get it but I don't think most people would.

Maybe sell a $10 size, worth 1 or 2 applications. I think more people would jump on that type of portion. myself included.

Bob,

Red Oak Development Llc. ie www.HotRodRaceWax.com sent samples to Bob Dea for the suggestion. Bob if your reading they were shipped this morning.

Thanks, HRRW

Mud, Actually you are making my point for me again on subjective testing and the huge number of veriables that would be or are out of our controll. Someone somewhere is going to have a variation that was not tested for and complain about no test data for their situation. We can not purchase every piece of equipment made, configure it every possible, try every type of base grind and create a somewhat repetable track for ultimatly what will be subjective testing. Real life testing on your equipment and setup, in your conditions is the only real way to evaluate. Since there was a huge demand for Sample Size Sales we have made that an option to support the group and this issue. goto http://www.shop.rod-llc.com/ I recommend reading the Testimonials on our website and contacting those rider on Bomber. To verify goto http://www.rod-llc.com/Testimonials.html

Sincerely, HRRW

You are right....

I MY opinion (you know what that is worth). The user is really the one that is responsible to find the "best" wax for their application. You guys can only provide so much. Having a test sample is a very good idea. Wax is subjective enough that the only way someone is going to get useful data (for themselves) is to get some wax, wax up you boards and get some slide data for your application.

You are right....

I MY opinion (you know what that is worth). The user is really the one that is responsible to find the "best" wax for their application. You guys can only provide so much. Having a test sample is a very good idea. Wax is subjective enough that the only way someone is going to get useful data (for themselves) is to get some wax, wax up you boards and get some slide data for your application.

Thanks Doug. You hit the nail right on the head. That's why I have also included a link to the testimonials. Did you check out the comments? Plus you can contact these guys via bomber. HRRW

Sounds good Bryan will buy the 50gm bar ! I need something for bc in case it's cold . No time for a rewax in a yurt !

James,

You just ordered didn't you? Will ship tomorrow. Please follow instruction insert and card. Mixing a soft west coast wax will impact our product. Simple solution. Please use paper towel and hot wax iron to pick up old wax. Then apply. You should be pleased with the results. thanks for your order. www.HotRodRaceWax.com

James,

You just ordered didn't you? Will ship tomorrow. Please follow instruction insert and card. Mixing a soft west coast wax will impact our product. Simple solution. Please use paper towel and hot wax iron to pick up old wax. Then apply. You should be pleased with the results. thanks for your order. www.HotRodRaceWax.com

What do you consider a soft west coast wax? I am using blue / green Toko much of the time?

There are times we use an all temp, however, we /I seldom use yellow/orange/red except in the late spring/summer.

James,

Yep that was me. Ok will try to get all the dakine hf all-temp with layers of swix f4 wipe on off ! (opps thats my special pnw combo) I have been burned before cat skiing in BC when it gets supra cold and want something that will work in -15 to -20c . Will be on a touring trip and wont have a plush lodge to rework the boards at www.icefall.ca . I am going to put the silver tanker to the test !

Jim

What do you consider a soft west coast wax? I am using blue / green Toko much of the time?

There are times we use an all temp, however, we /I seldom use yellow/orange/red except in the late spring/summer.

Glad to hear that... red / orange / yellow are things you do not want to mix. TOKO blue or green is fine and work well. Brush well and hot wipe on a warm board a little at a time tip to tail. Lite scrap and lite med soft brush. Clean edges and have a ball! See D.T.'s comments. http://www.rod-llc.com/Testimonials.html

For once in the UK, I found something of good value!

Check out this wax:

http://www.datawax.com/datawax/showrange.do?range=1

Might be of interest to anyone passing through on the way to the alps.

Look at the prices!

E.g. 150 g graphite for less than a cheap sixpack.

I've found the polar X is great after base prep and under an all temperature wax on your New England slopes to protect the base.

Just replace the top coat after a few days, and repeat etc...no need to deep cleans/graphite flush the base til the next season.

Some of the Holmenkol waxes aren't a bad price either:

£4 for 150 g is in the same ballpark:

http://www.skiracing.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9_54

I can't believe the price you're paying for wax there. That's getting towards the price of a new board every few seasons!?

Surely better to build a wax box to push a regular wax in deeper?

Both Holmenkol and Data waxes are used to win downhill races in the alps. They can't be that bad!

For all you riders that were on HRRW or did the evaluation demo at LCS could you please post. Even-though we did hot wax demos outside in the cold getting your evaluations and feedback is helpful. We are always looking to make a great product better, and keep the balance of price vs. value if possible. Please post in the Hot Rod Race Wax thread and in the Reviews / Accessories / Hot Rod Race Wax sections. Thanks! :biggthump

to bump as I applied some was today and will test it tomorrow

and a FYI for anyone wondering, the sample size is enough to wax a 20 cm wide 170ish board 3 or so times as long as you're miserly with the stuff. I crayoned it on after rubbing it on the iron, then proceed to iron in.

we'll see performance wise tomorrow.

this is what was left after applying it to my stubby.

post-109-141842306255_thumb.jpg

we used the hotrod wax the last couple of days.

so far so good, the conditions were absolute hero snow, it actually reminded me of riding out west. the wax was really glidey and held up like other waxes. we didn't have an iron with us, so we did the rub in method with the wax wizard. ill be riding tuesday night in more east coast conditions. then the following weekend at loon mtn to what is usually the worst of all worlds in conditions, grooming, weather, light, crowds, a$$holes. i'll keep you posted on that feedback with the hotwax feedback.

you should be getting some more feedback from other bol members, samples were handed out at the eces.

thanks again, we'll be in touch. :biggthump

I saw that you only brushed the base.With other waxes I Finnish with a Scotch Brite pad.I have used just brush finnish with with great results.

The soft $4.00 brush from HomeDepot or Lowe's seems to work the best. I know many people like to use a Scotch Brite pad. Feel free to try since everyone has a different technique. But you can count on the light scrape and light brush technique! HRRW