Note to New Members ×

Another: "He turned right in front of me!" post

photodad2001

I agree that the resorts do nothing to enforce this - last season I had a snowboarder jump onto a cat track leading into the lift line in full view of the lifty. He struck me in the side of the head. F*ing scary. Thank god for helmets. The lifty told him he was a naughty boy but refused to pull his pass. I lost it and smacked the offender a good right hand while telling the lifty that if he wouldn't do anything I would. The lifty told me i was a naughty boy. we carried on riding. I understand that what I did was not right but the resorts inaction render this sort of thing much more likely. On both parts

I don't agree that it is untrained beginners causing the problem. To go that fast you have to have been riding for some years. There is no way that these dudes do not know that you give way downhill. However just waht that means appears to be lost. each time I have been hit this year I have been accused of traversing as if that gives them a license to hit me!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that the resorts do nothing to enforce this - last season I had a snowboarder jump onto a cat track leading into the lift line in full view of the lifty. He struck me in the side of the head. F*ing scary. Thank god for helmets. The lifty told him he was a naughty boy but refused to pull his pass. I lost it and smacked the offender a good right hand while telling the lifty that if he wouldn't do anything I would. The lifty told me i was a naughty boy. we carried on riding. I understand that what I did was not right but the resorts inaction render this sort of thing much more likely. On both parts

I don't agree that it is untrained beginners causing the problem. To go that fast you have to have been riding for some years. There is no way that these dudes do not know that you give way downhill. However just waht that means appears to be lost. each time I have been hit this year I have been accused of traversing as if that gives them a license to hit me!

Just a small video that review the code playing in the lift line at 3 major lifts would make a huge difference on our mountain. And I have to say that most at our mtn are pretty good. We have some visitors who don't realize what's going on, but the locals are good. Even most of the kids.

I saw these guys ride and none of them could turn. Unfortunately at a smaller hill you can take a first year skiier/boarder who has learned just enough to stop and follow a downhill line and since there isn't a 2000+ drop in front of them they figure the can take it straight and regularly do. I sit on the lift with my daughter and we "shoot" people on the slope. We look for riders who are going too fast and look sketchy, we take our pretend guns, site them up... wait for it.... BLAM!!! You GOTTEM'!!!! Man, he just ate a HUGE plate of snow! Would you like a napkin? No? You'll just lick it off you fingers? Ok. More? You want seconds? [Not kidding, we actually plat that game on the lift]

video

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfMc_7odAME&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfMc_7odAME&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

at :53, 1:21 and 1:41 Did you catch it? Quick huh. Not gazing around being unsafe to downhill traffic. BTW I am the fat guy on the Burner.

After watching you video and giving it some thought, I suppose I catch uphill info on every toe turn. (not that I would consider that "looking up hill", even with eyes front on a straight transition across on toeside your peripheral vision gives you info to your upper right) That said, a little more info on the actual incident. My daughter and I were both making a healside carves when we were hit. Come to think of it, the 2 times I've been hit have been while making a healside carve. And both times I've been able to hear the skidder and make a quick transition to toeside to lessen the offense to a mere brush.

my new jacket is orange.

I don't bother with night riding.

I wait for windows of opportunity to start a run.

always on the lookout for interslopers.

Don't you love it when you get off a chair and it stops. The runs trickle empty of skiers and riders and you get the run to yourself. Its almost like when you get the run to yourself while racing.

my new jacket is orange.

Don't you love it when you get off a chair and it stops. The runs trickle empty of skiers and riders and you get the run to yourself. Its almost like when you get the run to yourself while racing.

So you think maybe my arctic-woodland camoflauge jump suit wouldn't be the best choice?:eek:

Looking uphill frequently is certainly a good idea. Riding safely within your limits so you can look uphill often is also a good idea. The world is full of idiots and many of them are unconsciously (and deafly, blindly, intoxicatedly, ...) dangerous. Some of them are coming too fast or from places you can't see even if you look every turn.

It is absolutely true that the rules won't protect you - you must take what measures you find practical and reasonable to reduce the inherent risks of boarding (in an unconventional manner, among idiots) to a level at which you are comfortable and adequately insured.

A week ago sunday, while doing short C-turns at moderate speed down a "lane" about 20' wide on a slope perhaps 80' wide between a snowfence and the edge of the run, I got buzzed by a straightlining skier going backward at maybe 35-40mph. He didn't make a turn for another 500', when he skidded to slow and turn around for the lift line. He cleared me by 20' or more, but I doubt that would have been the case if I'd decided to pull off to the side of the run two turns earlier, on my previous heelside. It would have been very unfortunate if I'd been hit on my first day out after shoulder surgery due in part to getting whacked from behind two out of the last two weekends last season. It also would have resulted in civil and possibly criminal prosecution of the miscreant for reckless endangerment (at least) and the resort for negligence in failing to exercise their authority to get the dangerous yahoo off the hill. That is assuming that I survived or that my wife saw fit to pursue that course. I've tried to be understanding of the fact that boarding and skiing are adventure sports, and that there will always be some risk involved. I've screwed up more than a few times myself, fortunately without hurting anyone. Getting whacked twice and nearly a third time, spending nine months in a fair bit of pain and upwards of $1000 on co-pays (insurance has picked up or negotiated off about $35,000 in bills) has kind of adjusted my attitude. I'm a lot more safety conscious in my own riding, and pretty well out of tolerance for the reckless and irresponsible.

Sounds to me like you are a danger to yourself and everyone on the slope if you ride in crowds that require a look behind you every 2 turns. If this is the case get off the slope and stop carving when it gets that crowded. It happens sometimes. The slopes can just get too bogged down where you have to make a judgement call and deside it is too dangerous for yourself and everyone around you to carve on the hill. :biggthump

Wow, it has be quite a day while I have been carving. :biggthump

Funny PD how you are doing your best to narrow the argument to every 2 turns. That situation arises often enough, but that is not the point being made.

You don't understand PD. I ride some of the most empty runs I know of here at Powder Mountain. Moreover, while I ride much faster and harder than many BOL posters, I am much less of a danger to other riders than most beginner / intermediate carvers. Experience pays.

Myself and the others posting good riding safety on this thread are not after you personally so don't flatter yourself. It doesn't even bother me that you have been calling me a liar since my first post because I know you have no idea what you are talking about. Really, you post dumb stuff all the time and we ignore it.

We are responding because:

By advocating against looking uphill every few turns you are doing a disservice to new riders who may not be riding at such a small hill.

If a beginner wants to take much of your incorrect advice, that is their deal. Unfortunately, this time it is dangerous for others to listen to you. :nono:

my new jacket is orange.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MY REPLY : A new carvers point of view , and a new carver with a moderate handicap, > I have only one eye ( my left still works ) I am a goof so I snatch an uphill shot toe side while practicing "the norm" or doing my typical mad dash bomb tuck and ugly hybridized slipping turns.

I even glance full over my blind side / right side glance ( I look like chick from the exorcist )as I super twist look over my right shoulder while heel side.

LOOK, It's a hassle to look back up while being a newbee to carving, I don't do it every turn , hell no, or I would never be able to concentrate enough to learn, I do it with a sense of timing of who and how far behind me the skiers or bombers are, and I look back every 3 or 4 as a matter of discipline & self preservation.

I know pretty well who was back up at the top when I left, and about how long it will take them to catch up if the bomb the run, so I bomb the first 3rd of the run to give myself a large space between me and the pack ....or just sit and wait for them to leave, either way I want space.

The Sun Valley video is a fantasy dream run video, I was raised on narrow California steeps, I probably would not be looking back if I could ride that kind of bare naked fat creamy milk run in the Idaho video, so it does not even translate to my mountains & situations.

It can be distracting, BUT, I know from being a bomber speed freak myself a "controlled" speed freak ,( Im on the medication *Carvadone ) lol, so I know that it is wise to snatch a glance every few carves to check for rocket ships while carving.

I agree with the absolute need to pick your spots, wait for traffic, have high situational awareness and just because Your playing by the rules that you dont live in a dream world thinking that your not gonna get hurt.

All You "two eyes" got it made, so stop yr whining, LOL, snatch a glance and be aware at all times

When I surfed every day in DelMar CA I knew people who would set up lawn chairs on the rail road tracks so they could get a good high cliff side spock on the wave set's below :eek: ya takes your chances and pay's the price for entry.

If you don't live by intuition and common sense then you will live by chance and lottery and one day Your ticket will get punched, ( I had to learn that one the hard way many times )

Myself I am switching over to common sense & intuition that gives me objective high situational awareness

PEACE

Darwin takes care of his own

The Sun Valley video is a fantasy dream run video, I was raised on narrow California steeps, I probably would not be looking back if I could ride that kind of bare naked fat creamy milk run in the Idaho video, so it does not even translate to my mountains & situations.

I hate tell you Steve, but that was a busy day on the hill and those runs. I didn't want to hold up $trider and his family too much and I think it was a Saturday.

Come on over when my back heals I'll give you a tour.

It's worth it.

I hate tell you Steve, but that was a busy day on the hill and those runs. I didn't want to hold up $trider and his family too much and I think it was a Saturday.

Come on over when my back heals I'll give you a tour.

It's worth it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

A "busy" Saturday . OMG :eek:, I LOVE Sun Valley and Ive never been there :1luvu:.

At 1st I thought, ( Looking inside my mind )> "Oh , he owns the resort and he's getting in some private runs with his operations crew and friends, before they open" lol.

It seams so dreamy creamy groomy groovy good that I imagine all You guy's singing the song from The Sound Of Music> "The hill are alive with the sound of groomer's, lol.

PD, your use of videos as evidence of your point that carvers do not look uphill regularly has three significant issues.

One is that the videos are typically of such a quality that you are going to miss many of the uphill checks. Just like you did in carvedog's video until he pointed them out.

The second major problem is that they are edited such that you do not often see more than 5 turns of a rider in a clip.

The most potent flaw however is that, even if you can find video of carvers not looking uphill for extended periods of time, you are only demonstrating that some carvers don't look uphill enough. You are unable to demonstrate with that video that it is not possible to look uphill regularly. You are also unable to demonstrating that not checking uphill often is a safe thing to do.

Beyond the videos, your contention that carvers cannot safely check uphill every 2 to 5 turns is simply wrong. I assume due to inexperience on your part.

Your implication that not checking uphill often is not a safety issue is clearly wrong due to an indisputable conclusion. Carvers get hit from behind all the time.

The only real defense against being hit from behind is to check uphill often. Yes, every 2 to 5 turns situation dependent. Possibly more with great visibility uphill and no one coming in from the sides (rare), and possibly less on a crowded slope or on a run with poor visibility upslope due to terrain.

If you cannot check uphill without fear of hitting other riders, it is time to get off the hill or go find an easier run.

Ride how you want, but stop offering your dangerous and inexperienced advice to others. I, and it sounds like lots of others on this thread and many who have not posted here, do it on every run.

If a beginner wants to take much of your incorrect advice, that is their deal. Unfortunately, this time it is dangerous for others to listen to you. :nono:

So no comment on my previous post? What you call a "look up hill" is not a "look up hill" as shown in your video. Glancing 45 degrees to your upper right is what I said I do all the time and it is obvious that at those points noted in your video you are not looking directly up hill and could not spot a straightliner coming from 180 degrees north to 220 degrees north east. Your nose (not your boards, your own) would have to point 180 dgrees north of down hill so eyes can take in all angles of what is coming down from "up hill". It gets old repeating myself but I already said I look left, right, down, and even up/left and up/right as I ride all the time, nothing special or out of the ordinary, but I wait for gaps, and half way down a 300ft. vert. hill I take a moment, pivot my atlas vertebrae bringing my face and head up hill and drink it all in before tearing down the second half, but somehow this hasn't been able to register with you. Your glimpse you gave in your videos was not an "up hill look" but a "side slope glance". Had a skier been riding behind you video taping it you would not have seen your face and therefore you would not have seen him. I have support from others (and it KILLS you) and I'll let you get back to patting yourself on the back and telling all the other BOLers how much harder you carve than them.:biggthump Good luck and God bless!

Edit: Ooops, I got you two confused!!! Peas in a pod I guess. The message still stands though.

video

<OBJECT width=560 height=340>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfMc_7odAME&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></OBJECT></P>

at :53, 1:21 and 1:41 Did you catch it? Quick huh. Not gazing around being unsafe to downhill traffic. BTW I am the fat guy on the Burner.

:confused: Dude, does that even count :confused:

I mean what the heck, those slope are hella wide and dang near empty.

Not at all like the conjested goat paths that pass for runs in these parts :cool: