Note to New Members ×

Help Choosing Board

John Bell

Sorry to post a softboot question, but you guys are way more helpful than the surly, agrammatical jiblets on other forums. And one board is a BX board, so maybe someone will share some expertise.

I'm debating whether to buy a Rossignol One Mag (probably a 159 with SCR of 8.2) or a used Oxygen Supercross 157, with 8.6 SCR. This would be for riding mostly in PA on crust and ice, with hordes of people everywhere, in all directions.

Here's a link to the Rossi. Warning: An annoying video will start playing behind the "video" tab, which you can pause: http://www.rossignol.com/US/one-mag_RE9NE03_product_snowboard-men-boards.html

Any ideas? I can get the Oxy for much cheaper, but it's going to be so insanely stiff, and that worries me. Plus the Magne-Traction is a big appeal on ice.

Thanks for any thoughts!

I haven't ridden Rosi's One Mag but had ridden Oxygen Supercross before. Oxygen Supercross was very light and edges were holding very well compared to other BX board that I was searching on at that time 2002-ish. Rosi's BX/All Mountain boards were somewhat too stiff for the terrain park or do some other stuff on slopes. It was more for BX specified type.

If you haven't narrowed down only for those two, check Atomic's Dreamraider model. It is light & stiff but not too stiff and Has super-razor edges. No wonder Shawn Palmer had won so many times with Dreamraider on BX. I own 05 model and have ridden on Whitetail few times, it was made for our area for sure.

Thanks, guys. That's good information.

I will definitely look into the Dreamraider. I avoid the park like the plague and even dabbled in alpine a couple of years ago. I forgot to put my stats: 5'8", 165-170 lbs.

Funny--you read about Magne-Traction (MTX) everywhere, and all the reviewers seem to swear by it and say they couldn't imagine going without it. But that's a good point about none of the alpine racing boards having MTX.

I'm reluctant to buy anything so different without trying it--but snowboarding is one of those weird things in life where there's no "test drive" (other than the rare demo day, unless you want to buy what they're renting out in the resort shop)and no returns if you try the product and don't like it. Or you know someone with a sweet quiver.

Funny--you read about Magne-Traction (MTX) everywhere, and all the reviewers seem to swear by it and say they couldn't imagine going without it. But that's a good point about none of the alpine racing boards having MTX.

I may be talking out of my ass here because I've never ridden a magne traction board but: it just doesn't make much sense to me. The undulating edge will certainly increase edge pressure at the ridges of the sidecut, and increasing edge pressure is always good for grip--BUT--it also seems like it is going to try to rail a squiggly line along the length of the board, and that is going to disrupt edge hold because the transitions between the high and low points on the MTX are going to scrape rather than rail (since the board is not going to flex in a wave pattern to match). Does that make any sense to anyone or am I nuts? It is not going to help because it will not cut a smooth rail, because the edge is not going to set a clean line. I think most people who rave about magne-traction boards like them because they don't carve their turns, and so it increases the grippyness of the board while skidding on ice, but it seems to me that an undulating edge like that is going to do more harm than good if you are carving your turns.

It seems to me that carving on a magne traction board would be noisy, and that the board will not be able to cut a clean line and therefore have less grip while carving.

Again: that is totally armchair engineering/talking out of my ass, but that is my guess.