Note to New Members ×

Hats off to the freestylers

jtslalom

I rode with a group of high school students I taught a few years ago. All have graduated and were on to bigger and better things including their riding. I just could not believe the stuff these guys were pulling. I know this may seem like technical skate talk but switch 720's were just the start. I watched as 5 consecutive riders pulled 720's each like nothing. one even threw in a grab, wow. This was all great but what really impressed me fellas was their ability to carve. No kidding. Every one of them was carving some descent lines for park rats. Ofcourse it was the bent knees scraping the snow with butts hanging out the back but none the less they were carving good lines. One kid even went as far to show me up on my circle carves at the bottom of the slope. It is rare to see this but some of these older jibbers can actually turn. To all the kids I rode with tonight, you guys rock.

In my opinion,separation between the 'boys' and the 'men' in freestyle has always been the ability,or lack thereof,to carve on the way to,and for that matter,'onto' the next feature.For me ,Terje stuck out in his era for his smooth carving style,amongst other skills of course.A few in this era have that ultra smoothness that doesn't come from skidding sideways on the way to the next mind blowing maneuver.

I agree with you guys. One of the best "carvers" I know is my close buddy, Dan, a former pro big air/pipe rider. I ride my Kessler, he rides his Head park board, and he is right there with me laying them down (and then he hucks a 720... Totally sick rider.). He does, however, now have a proton 164 GS... I'm converting him slowly.

In my opinion,separation between the 'boys' and the 'men' in freestyle has always been the ability,or lack thereof,to carve on the way to,and for that matter,'onto' the next feature.For me ,Terje stuck out in his era for his smooth carving style,amongst other skills of course.A few in this era have that ultra smoothness that doesn't come from skidding sideways on the way to the next mind blowing maneuver.

AMEN! Whether it be snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, or surfing. If the maneuver connects point A to B then fantastic... but if the maneuver is for show well :barf:.

AMEN! Whether it be snowboarding, skiing, skateboarding, or surfing. If the maneuver connects point A to B then fantastic... but if the maneuver is for show well :barf:.

One could argue that almost every manouver in those sports is for show (to others our ourselves), unless you are running the gates, or going around obstacles, or sailing a reggatta. No frils A to B? Just straightline the hill, then!

I respect versatile riders. It is great to see a softbooter carving hard, as well as a hardbooter doing something else but carving...

No... no...

For example the maneuver of the

in surfing (sorry it was the first thing that came to mind). This move allows one to continue surfing through a closeout section and beyond. A move that not only allows the ride to continue when otherwise it would be terminated but further connects point A to B.

That's what I'm talkin' about.