ncermak

Sox or Yankees?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Sox or Yankees?

• Red Sox
    • Yankees

Originally posted by D-Sub

Jack

you really dont need to defend against my comments. I couldnt care less really, PLUS Im glad the sox won! I wasnt defending the yankees

Well, your comment struck a nerve, it seemed to belittle the Sox accomplishment (monumental in all of sports). Don't take it personally - I am an irrational, emotional, happy, excited, astonished pile of quivering flesh hopped up on adrenalin, coffee, and Mountain Dew (and I'm not a habitual caffein user) working with 4 hours of sleep last night, and 5 the previous two nights.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

I am an irrational, emotional, happy, excited, astonished pile of quivering flesh hopped up on adrenalin, coffee, and Mountain Dew (and I'm not a habitual caffein user) working with 4 hours of sleep last night, and 5 the previous two nights.

Sounds familar, except for the caffeine... there are advantages to being a transplanted Sox fan :) Marc - good to know I've got local company - in fact I am often surprised by the number of Sox fans in PDX!

What is the point? You know, it's all just supposed to be for fun. Why dis on something that brings people joy? I used to be a sports snob. In college I rowed crew. In retrospect we were the biggest pack of elitist A-holes on campus. Not even the D1 football team wore their varsity jackets around more than us. In reality, we looked down on everyone because we were jealous that we chose a life that had us walking around half asleep from 5:30am practices 6 days a week, and which prevented us from partying and hooking up with chicks and all that "normal" college stuff. We'd wear t-shirts that said "I can't, I have crew in the morning", and, "atheletes row, the others play games". Well it's all crap. Take a frickin' step back. When teleboards came out I thought they were stupid. I even told someone trying one that it was the "wrong" thing to use for carving. What an idiot I was. I still have no interest in riding one, but if somebody likes them, what's the problem there? It's all about fun. It's all about doing what makes you feel good and makes you enjoy yourself. That's it. You think it's absurd that a soft-in-the middle near middle-age guy can make millions hitting a ball with a stick, and that millions of other people will watch people doing that? Well, how absurd is it to stand on a plank and slide down a snow covered hill on the hairy edge of control? Or how absurd is it to go out and run to nowhere in particular, or to pick up heavy things and put them down again and perform zero useful work? And how absurd is it to think that other people are silly for enjoying something, and then to actually tell them that you think that? What purpose does that serve? Does it make you feel better? Superior? Enlightened? I know it does, because I used to do it. I probably still do sometimes if I'm not careful. Screw it. I'm learning that I enjoy life a lot more if I don't worry about what's cool or sophisticated or smart or what other people do to get off and if they're doing it the right way. If someone is dancing in the street because their professional sports team of choice just won a game, it's a lot more fun to go rock out with them than it is to walk by and shake your head.

Rant off. This was not directed at anyone in particular. I certainly understand the human nature to be a sports snob.

-Jack

(still an irrational pile of goo on stimulants)

Originally posted by Jack Michaud

Well, your comment struck a nerve, it seemed to belittle the Sox accomplishment (monumental in all of sports). Don't take it personally - I am an irrational, emotional, happy, excited, astonished pile of quivering flesh hopped up on adrenalin, coffee, and Mountain Dew (and I'm not a habitual caffein user) working with 4 hours of sleep last night, and 5 the previous two nights.

you only read the parts that seemed that way:)

I truly was congratulating the Sox...I just wish the final game had been a little less sloppy on the Yankees part. 10-3 isnt much of a challenge.

I'll reiterate: I _never_ watch team sports...well...unless the people Im living with at the time do. Dudes I used to live with always watched the laker games so I was forced for the most part...and in this situation Im stayin with my dad right now, and he wanted the yankees to win

SO...that was ANOTHER reason to root for the sox...against my dad!

anyway...you conveniently missed the parts where I congratulated the sox, etc etc;)

oh, and...not takin it personal in the slightest! get some sleep!

For all those folks cheering for the Sox around the country, here's a great article in today's Globe by Dan Shaughnessy:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2004/10/26/going_national/

As Shaughnessy reminds us....just remember....the Sox were up 2-0 in '86...don't pop the champagne just yet. The Cards are a strong team at home and so far in the series Poo-holes has been shut down. However, we do have Pedro pitching tonight vs. Suppan. It should be a great game!!

BELIEVE!!!!

Originally posted by willywhit

You guys should rent "Still, We Believe" the Red Sox Movie. Life has it's ups and downs but the passion and hope is what keeps us going.~Angry Bill

I watched it just before the Yanks series. It had me on the floor laughing!! A must for any die-hard Sox fan!!

Originally posted by Mike T

I was hoping, cheering, dare I say praying :eek: for a sweep...

WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU RED SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can think about snowboarding again :)

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAWWWWWW!!!!!

Huh...think of Snowboarding? :D.......I'm thinking of more immediate things....I haven't slept for more than 5 hours since the Angels series. mmmmm coffee I love you! I can't wait to go to bed before midnight tonight....I'm completely delirious this morning.

The Sox have wiped the slate clean. No more curse!!!

We FOULKING won the World Series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was all meant to be. These guys are what baseball is really all about. Like Manny said, "It's a kid's game and you have to play it like a BIG KID." BLAM!!! They said Ortiz was KILLING the ball in batting practice last night. Our boys were loaded for BEAR last night. A boring game ? C'mon Bob. Can you imagine if that had happened at home last night ? The mayhem ? Oh the humanity !

No way that game was boring. a 3 run lead is never safe against a lineup like the Cards. All it would have taken is a walk, an error, and for any one of their sluggers to break out the way Damon did in Game 7 vs. the Yankees. Plus, after the 3rd inning it was *both* sides putting up zeroes for 6 innings. (The Cards got out of a LOT of jams... the Sox left 12 on base, the game shouldn't have been as close as it was).

In any case... I am all smiles this morning and it would take Mt Hood having a major eruption to wipe it off.