Note to New Members ×

Malamute vs F22 vs Driver X Fit

nekdut

I have a pair of Malamutes that are apparently too small. I usually wear 27.0 hardboots, and picked up a pair of 27.5 Malamutes. My toes are entirely smashed and crunched in the pair I have now.

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of F22s or perhaps Burton Driver Xs. Do the F22s fit the same as the Malamutes, meaning I should go with 28.0s?

I also read that Driver Xs run big. I have a line on an affordable pair of 9.5 Driver Xs. Would that work for me?

I know, I know. Go try some on at my local REI, Dicks, etc, and get the one that fits right. I will do that in a few days. I just wanted get some feedback in the mean time. :)

I have a pair of Malamutes that are apparently too small. I usually wear 27.0 hardboots, and picked up a pair of 27.5 Malamutes. My toes are entirely smashed and crunched in the pair I have now.

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of F22s or perhaps Burton Driver Xs. Do the F22s fit the same as the Malamutes, meaning I should go with 28.0s?

I also read that Driver Xs run big. I have a line on an affordable pair of 9.5 Driver Xs. Would that work for me?

I know, I know. Go try some on at my local REI, Dicks, etc, and get the one that fits right. I will do that in a few days. I just wanted get some feedback in the mean time. :)

some of the newer boots are fully moldable so in some cases it's like fitting a hard boot.

most of the time though, yeah, huge variation.

burton is true to size generally the newer burtons do seem SLIGHTLY but where the salomon boots fit strange but allegedly really well for the narrow footed types

2002 Malamutes in 26 were slightly big on me, 2009 Driver X in 25.5 are spot on after breaking them in. I'd say the sizing on the two is pretty darn close based on that.

The Burtons really came a LOOONNNG way between 2002 and now. I tried on new Malamutes before buying the Driver X's and the Driver X's just felt better in terms of fit and flex to me.

HEAT MOLD!

no way the f22 is anything like a malamute, FORGET that

my new pledge was super tight but now is perfect in size 12 (29.5) 30 days

had most every pair of malamute in the same size too

I'm the same size in burtons

29.5 AF600 too

Mike: Thanks for the clarification.

chewy: Just to be clear, you're suggesting I skip the F22s? Are they too soft or something? I was already leaning more towards replacements Malamutes or Driver Xs, instead of the F22. The F22 is the easiest to find though unfortunately. I'd like Malamutes, F24s or Driver Xs. Lets see which one pops up first in my size. Thanks for your input!

Hey Neil, Hope you are laying down some turns for me at June/Mammoth. Man, I miss that place! Just got my first day in here with 12 cm of new snow and used the Driver Xs. Not so familiar the Malamutes but dig the Driver X.

FYI - I am 26 in Deeluxe 700T and 8.5 in Driver X with snug but comfortable fit - without thermo forming. Decent fit out of the box! Just checked the tongues on the Driver Xs and they also list them as 26.5.

Take care, Tom

i tried on both a few times when i was replacing an old set of softies last year. In the end I echo bobdea's comments... I have big, wide feet, and as much as i liked the malamutes, they were too narrow. The Driver X's took a few weekends to break in, but now I love'em. My brother on the other hand (much smaller than me - dad always said i have the milkman's eyes...) loves his malamutes.

I fully acknowledge you preempted this so i wont tell you to go to the store and walk around in both for a while. Find what fits you. Same for helmets IMHO.

Then get footbeds. Sooooooo good.