Note to New Members ×

Lib Tech or Tanker vs. Pogo Longboard or Dupraz

groovastic

Hi there!

I've been thinking for some time now about pow boards...

Maybe I've even posted something on that topic already :rolleyes:

So,

I hooked up with some really good pow skiers and I'd like to buy a powder board. But! since I will probably have money for only one board (if at all), I'd like it to be usable for doing some tricks on piste (for those days when snow is not really begging you to take out your biggest carving machine), the tricks I couldn't do with my 178 race board for example.. And that's why I think I would need a board not longer than 170!

Now I am on two minds between banana style boards (or maybe even this one http://www.lib-tech.com/snow/snowboards/dark-series/ with rocker between and camber underneath feet) on one side, and something like Dupraz http://www.dupraz-snowboards.com/Dupraz/Collection.html on the other side.

What type of boards do you think is better for pow? I guess the first one should be better for fooling around on piste.

Oh, I would not be doing any rails or anything like that..

Thanks for your help guys!

I have ridden all of those boards (the Lib Snowmullet instead of the Dark Series).

Of the Pogo, Dupraz, Spearhead shapes, the Spearhead is definitely my favorite for powder. I would not say any of them are the best for tricks since you will notice the big nose.

I just picked up this year's 172 Tanker. It has continuous rocker. I have only ridden it on soft groom and so far am very impressed. In soft groom it is a very smooth carver. Still waiting for a powder day to test it. The 162 would probably be best for fooling around and, if you are lighter weight, should also float well. Rocker is amazing for that.

I did not like the Lib Tech. It floated well, but was too soft in the middle for my riding. Many people do like them though.

With all the rockered boards availible, you have quite a few good options for powder / freestyle boards. Many of the rockered boards carve quite well on soft groom. Venture, Prior, and Never Summer all have a solid line up. I really like the K2 Gyrator for playing and powder, but that one does not carve very well. There may be some European options that I don't know.

Thanks Buell!

I weigh some 170 lbs. Would that be too much for 162ish boards in pow?

The board needn't be the best carver since I do have carving boards for the days I want to carve. And one cannot ask for everything in one board ;)

And what is your style of rinding if I may ask... just to know if I would be in the same group with you, that doesn't like Lib Tech, or in the orher one..? :cool:

Cheers!

I hate riding powder with a lot of the weight on my back foot and I drive the nose hard in powder. I need good float and a stiff enough nose so it doesn't fold up on me. The flex patten on last years Libs was pretty soft between the bindings and stiffer in the nose and tail. That did not work for me.

It depends on your riding and how dense the powder is regarding the length of Tanker. The 172 will have better float but you will sacrifice some freestyle ability. Most riders who want to do freestyle and powder would go with the 162 at your size. I like the float though.

Hi there!

.. And that's why I think I would need a board not longer than 170!

Sorry,

But the smallest tanker is a 172 and as Buell said, it rides and turns very easy...I know the website and the catalogs state that there is a 162, but it does not exist in the new shapes and a 162 tanker has not been made since the red and grey tankers from 05-06.

cheers,

sandy

Sorry,

But the smallest tanker is a 172 and as Buell said, it rides and turns very easy...I know the website and the catalogs state that there is a 162, but it does not exist in the new shapes and a 162 tanker has not been made since the red and grey tankers from 05-06.

cheers,

sandy

Thank Sandy :freak3:. Rebecca is now dancing because she was right about no 162 (and I was wrong). :D

groovastic, get this year's 172 rockered Tanker. I am saying that without trying it in powder yet, but I just rode it again on firm hero groom and it rides so well. I had it in some firm crud bumps as well and it just eats them up like nothing you could have ridden before. From my experience with a 168 rockered K2 Gyrator, I am positive it is going to be great in the powder. It is a little bar of soap like when not on edge in firm conditions, but you get used to it and it tracks straight just fine. Very playful and also light. Oh yeah, and it is a really beautiful board with its dark blue topsheet.

I've a mate with the Lib Tech dark stuff, but I've not ridden them myself. However I have looked at his a fair bit and it's a different construction from the Snow Mullet: they're not the same boards.

I like the Snow Mullet, although I like a lot of boards. I'm unconvinced about the banana on it though, which along with the crinkle-cut edge I think is more a novice piste rider's feature.

There are other boards out there with more significant tails and you may find those simpler to deal with on piste.

As with all this stuff, the best approach is to ride what you think might work and then pick what works best.

A 172 that is not a Spearhead.. that is not what I had in mind in the beginning

If I'm buying such a (let's say) long board, wouldn't I be happier with a Dupraz or Pogo in that case?

And philw, I really would like to ride all those boards and then chose the one(s) I like most, but I really don't have a chance to test ride any of these boards :(

A 172 that is not a Spearhead.. that is not what I had in mind in the beginning

If I'm buying such a (let's say) long board, wouldn't I be happier with a Dupraz or Pogo in that case?

I cannot say what board you will like best. I am only offering my thoughts. The 172 Tanker is light and the rocker makes it very nimble.

I personally would not buy a cambered powder board now. Riding powder on a rockered board is just too much fun! :biggthump

Edit to add: This is a good thread on rockered boards. Theses guys are backcountry riders and not your stereotypical jibbers. Notice that the two posters speaking ill of rocker have never tried it.

... I really would like to ride all those boards and then chose the one(s) I like most, but I really don't have a chance to test ride any of these boards :(

With short powder boards, quite small apparent differences in the board are easy to feel. I'd not want to lay out cash myself on something I'd not tried. They all work of course, but you know how it is, you take a couple of turns and you're either in love with the board or you're not...

I read the link on reverse camber. The main "reviewer" is switching from a long board to a short board at the same time as changing from camber to rocker. What he reports is what many of us found years ago when we dumped long boards for short boards in the powder. If they were instead to compare boards of the same length with/ without rocker/reverse camber that would be a better test. That's what I did.

I also disagree that there's much change in riding style required amongst boards of similar length in powder. You can easily feel the difference, sure, and adjusting to it is a matter of a couple of turns at most (although personally I've ridden at least a hundred thousand vertical on any board I've commented on).

With short boards, I'd be a bit careful about investing in esoteric camber designs. A few manufacturers are playing around with this at the moment and it's not clear to me which designs will last more than a season or two. They all work, but some of them may be a passing fad.

I read the link on reverse camber. The main "reviewer" is switching from a long board to a short board at the same time as changing from camber to rocker. What he reports is what many of us found years ago when we dumped long boards for short boards in the powder. If they were instead to compare boards of the same length with/ without rocker/reverse camber that would be a better test. That's what I did.

When I read that thread, I find there are lots of riders giving really good thoughts on rockered boards. Many of them I would assume have tried rockered boards in similar sizes to cambered boards they have ridden.

I know that I have and the rockered board wins hands down.

Which boards did you test together and what did you think? Have you tried the newest models of the Fish? How did that compare to the cambered model from a couple of years ago?

Thanks guys!

This seems like I should be looking at the rockered boards!

OK

I've been googling a bit and I found Lib Tech, K2 and Burton to be most interesting, and each of them has a different rocker solution...

-Lib Tech Dark Series with C2 Banana Tech and Magne Traction

-K2 Turbo Dream with All Terrain Rocker and WH3 Core and ICG 10 glass

-Burton Malolo with an S Rocker and some other stuff.

Can sbd compare any of these? Or just say something ;)

Cheers!

Edit: Oh, and maybe Never Summer Heritage R with RC Technology..

Please Bola,

I know quite a bit more than most about surfboards. I have been a surfer for 20 years.

I agree that some of the rockered boards do not handle mixed conditions but others are are going to do well. We just picked up a rockerd 162 Venture Storm split that will be put through its paces this year. I will try in out on some northwest volcano corn in May and June. I expect good things from that board. Groovastic was only asking about powder boards anyway.

I bought and rode a Dupraz D1+ last year in deep powder and shallow powder and mixed powder conditions. It did not do it for me. I really preferred the Spearhead.

I also had a Tanker 200 a couple of years back. At 145 pounds, it was just too big to have fun on. I have watched 200 pounders turn the things right through the trees with no issues though. Great looking board, just not for me and it certainly does not fit what groovastic is looking for. I am looking forward to trying the rockered 172 Tanker in deep snow though.

I will check out the Volkl Cashew. I don't know anything about it.

To each his own Bola. Glad you work to bring us all that interesting gear! Hope your winter is going well.

Buell

In my experience, you have to finetune to find the correct settings for your riding style on this board. But once you find them it is very responsive and versatile. If you are looking for a board that will handle trees, bowls, faces and couloirs alike, it's a serious contender. Some don't like it. Some love it. It's worth trying.

Buell:

Good luck with the Storm, just wondered why you did not go up one step in length. I will look forward to you review particularly on the ascent in the spring conditions when the snow is hard and crunchy in the morning.

Bola

Because it is Rebecca's board. I figured she should be able to choose the length. I know quite a bit about firm morning ascents of the volcanoes. From what I can tell it will be fine, but I will reserve judgment until I try it.

I expect that the Spearhead is derivative of the Dupraz, but I like it better for my humble powder riding and not so humble powder riding. Trust me, I spent a lot of time moving those bindings around trying to find a sweet spot on the Dupraz D1+. I can go into more detail about my thoughts if you would like. My opinion does not mean that it is not a great board for others though.

Take care, Buell