big canuck

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Badbrad

You said that you're using TD3 e-rings with TD2, the only other things you had to change was using 20mm M6 screw instead of the 16mm ones, am I right ?

Any problem with that setup ? (as it is mentionned on BOL that TD3 e-rings are for TD3 only)

I actually bought a TD3 second board kit. I wanted a second board kit and a suspension kit anyway, so this was the perfect solution.

What about when you're flexing the binding... lets say you have more pressure on the left of the heel/toe pads.

what's stopping the pad on the right from just falling/sliding out?

The pads are still sligthly under pressure near the axis, and the other thing is the lateral movement you get is not like 20°, its more like 1-2° ( Fin will maybe tell us).. The idea behind this is to get:

- extra dampening

- lateral agility ( not lateral clearance) to be able to have a strong tight secure thing on the feet, with the same benefits as flexier, loose set bindings..The lateral movement is needed for EC especially because on wider boards you have less angles, and needs to replace body gravity center toward front/tail and this was only achieved by either keeping bails loose, or riding flexy plastic bindings ( burton...). In racing, since they are now using wider boards and softer flexes too, i assume it also helps them replace body especially on icy snows when they encounter bumps etc...

Nils

The pads are still sligthly under pressure near the axis, and the other thing is the lateral movement you get is not like 20°, its more like 1-2° ( Fin will maybe tell us).. The idea behind this is to get:

- extra dampening

- lateral agility ( not lateral clearance) to be able to have a strong tight secure thing on the feet, with the same benefits as flexier, loose set bindings..The lateral movement is needed for EC especially because on wider boards you have less angles, and needs to replace body gravity center toward front/tail and this was only achieved by either keeping bails loose, or riding flexy plastic bindings ( burton...). In racing, since they are now using wider boards and softer flexes too, i assume it also helps them replace body especially on icy snows when they encounter bumps etc...

Nils

If you look at the picture there is a lot more angle involved than the 1-2 degrees. What I am interested in: leads this SW dampening to less directness in steering. What I mean like with cars: leads this to understeer? Because what I can imagine the SW's has first to be preloaded before there is any pressure build up? Can some one comment on this?

post-105-141842296833_thumb.jpg

- extra dampening

Nils

Hi Nils,

Which colour of e-pads and e-rings do you use?

If you look at the picture there is a lot more angle involved than the 1-2 degrees. What I am interested in: leads this SW dampening to less directness in steering. What I mean like with cars: leads this to understeer? Because what I can imagine the SW's has first to be preloaded before there is any pressure build up? Can some one comment on this?

Could the picture be misleading since the e-pads are missing ?

I'm getting mine soon, will let you know if there is any weird steering feel.

There is a lot more than 1 to 2*. Mine arrived yesterday. Rebecca and I were amazed at the amount of give. With the yellow elastomers (at room temperature), there is more flex than F2s for sure.

Hans, I doubt they will be for everyone. What I can tell you though from riding the F2s is that I do not notice any lack of control over the board, but I do notice a significant improvement in my ability to shift my weight and adjust my body position.

Test them today.

There is a lot more than 1 to 2*. Mine arrived yesterday. Rebecca and I were amazed at the amount of give. With the yellow elastomers (at room temperature), there is more flex than F2s for sure.

Hans, I doubt they will be for everyone. What I can tell you though from riding the F2s is that I do not notice any lack of control over the board, but I do notice a significant improvement in my ability to shift my weight and adjust my body position.

Test them today.

Buell, thanks for the update. If I heard it through the lines this must be killerbindings. Pitty there aren't stepins yet. Or are these 'standards' so that you are way more faster stepping in than the former standard TD2's because of the stops in the soleblocks?

What about when you're flexing the binding... lets say you have more pressure on the left of the heel/toe pads.

what's stopping the pad on the right from just falling/sliding out?

This was an issue with the test model but Fin corrected the problem for the production model. Take a look at this photo... it shows how the e-pad sits behind a ridge which keeps it in place

I would recommend trying the blue pads first... blue e-pads felt very similar to the F2/Ibex type of movement. I'm not sure who will use the yellow e-pads... they will have to be very small or perhaps very new to the sport

I would recommend trying the blue pads first... blue e-pads felt very similar to the F2/Ibex type of movement. I'm not sure who will use the yellow e-pads... they will have to be very small or perhaps very new to the sport

I think the elastomers stiffen up quite a bit between room temperature and riding temperature. I will post more thoughts after another day of riding, but I rode the yellow elastomers today and did not find them too soft, in fact, they were just right. (I am 145 pounds).

I think the elastomers stiffen up quite a bit between room temperature and riding temperature. I will post more thoughts after another day of riding, but I rode the yellow elastomers today and did not find them too soft, in fact, they were just right. (I am 145 pounds).
Thanks Buell... good info

I'm 200lbs without gear so maybe thats enough weight to make the difference

Keep us posted!

Thanks Buell... good info

I'm 200lbs without gear so maybe thats enough weight to make the difference

Keep us posted!

I am sure that is part of it. Weight has so much to do with what works for a person or not in hardbooting.

I was also thinking it could be binding angles. I run 52/48 and your angles are much higher. When the SW flexes for me, it helps me move longitudinally on the board. The long axis of the boot (no flex) is much more involved with putting the board on edge for me than you. At your angles, it makes sense that you would need more resistance for putting the board on edge.

I am sure that is part of it. Weight has so much to do with what works for a person or not in hardbooting.

I was also thinking it could be binding angles. I run 52/48 and your angles are much higher. When the SW flexes for me, it helps me move longitudinally on the board. The long axis of the boot (no flex) is much more involved with putting the board on edge for me than you. At your angles, it makes sense that you would need more resistance for putting the board on edge.

Excellent points Buell

I had it in my mind that rider weight was really all that mattered when choosing which E-pad to install. Even after Ray asked in the review thread what angles I was running... I still didn't get it (and I know he runs crazy steep angles on those skinny Virus boards he likes). But this makes complete sense... two people of similar weight could run different E-pads simply because of the way the bindings are set up.

Thanks for pointing this out Buell!

The lights do come on... just sometimes slowly

I am just recovering from a knee injury (LCL) and will start riding with a new knee brace next week. Can anyone comment on the SW and if they could see a benefit to those with this type of injury?

In reading this thread, my first thought is that this new technology would help take the harsh edge off my current TD3 step-in setup as there would be more lateral "buffering" in the binding.

I am just recovering from a knee injury (LCL) and will start riding with a new knee brace next week. Can anyone comment on the SW and if they could see a benefit to those with this type of injury?

In reading this thread, my first thought is that this new technology would help take the harsh edge off my current TD3 step-in setup as there would be more lateral "buffering" in the binding.

Rice - There are several doctors hanging around here thay may be inclinded to comment... and I am certainly not one of them

But... I have found that a binding with some lateral flex is much more comfortable on my knees. It's not the reason I like lateral flex... but certainly an added bonus as I am missing my ACL on the left knee (front), ACL & MCL on the right knee (back), and lots of cartilage. There are some days that steep and/or narrow terrain isn't much fun to ride... but some binding flex seems to make a difference for the better and I'm not so worried about a knee blowing out of place just because I want to turn.

I am just recovering from a knee injury (LCL) and will start riding with a new knee brace next week.
Heck, someone here at BOL posted that their insurance paid for custom footbeds for his hardboots. Maybe one of our docs could write us all prescriptions for sidewinders!

But... I have found that a binding with some lateral flex is much more comfortable on my knees. It's not the reason I like lateral flex... but certainly an added bonus as I am missing my ACL on the left knee (front), ACL & MCL on the right knee (back), and lots of cartilage. There are some days that steep and/or narrow terrain isn't much fun to ride... but some binding flex seems to make a difference for the better and I'm not so worried about a knee blowing out of place just because I want to turn.

TVR, holy $h1t I thought I was brave for riding hard w/o a PCL in my right/back knee.

used a Clothoid based shape for the upper block
Clothoid, Schmothoid.... back in my day we used flat surfaces and we were HAPPY to have them. None of this fancy schmancy contoured stuff. Sounds to me like Madison Avenue marketing fluff. I wouldn't pay a plugged nickle for these gussied up pigs with lipstick. As a matter of fact, you couldn't PAY me to ride on them.

Just spewing sour grapes because I'm ticked off that I cannot get a set this season. I held what appeared to be an early set at Loveland last season. Sweet, smooth, well thought out.

Well, from what I can hear, freestyle/freeride snowboarders suffer from knee problems, too. And their bindings are certainly more flexible than SW....