Note to New Members ×

So, had my first day out carving today in steamboat.... holy crap

lorax

So, today I have my first few runs out at steamboat. This was my first time on a hard boot setup.

First impressions: Holy hell, what a work out! My leading hip was exhausted after the first run, from just coasting on my heel edge.

I had no idea what I was doing technique wise. I don't even know where to start. I was having such a hard time remembering where to place my body and how to initiate a carve properly that I ended up burning out my muscles washing out every turn or two.

The conditions were terrible for carving - 10" of powder fell last night, and by the time I started to get a small bit of technique down, it was very very choppy. To make matters worse, I ended up at the very top of the mountain by mistake on my 4th or so run. I was in the snow a lot, so I was cold... visibility was terrible, and my muscles were killing me. The conditions basically forced me to ride my board like I would my normal soft setup just to get back down the mountain, which created even more strain on my already tired body.

I was pretty frustrated at that point, but I took a break and headed back out once visibility improved.

I started out by doing easy runs and doing cross-unders just to begin to get the feel of putting my board at such a high angle. This went pretty nicely. For the first time all day, I was able to get a bit of traction n the heel side.

I still have lots of trouble following through on the heel side, because it feels like the board is getting away from me.

By the end of the day, I realized a lot of the issue I was having with my heel side is because when I pt pressure on the front edge, my jerk reaction is to push out with my back leg and wash out the turn. This became very tiring. My last few turns, I started to tuck that back leg into my front knee, and it felt good, but i still felt like i had no control while on my heel side. Maybe that is because I often find myself initiating those turns on less steep terrain while headed straight down the fall line )While practicing cross-unders)?

I played around a bit with binding setup, and luckily my boots are very comfortable. I was getting a bit of cuff fatigue by the end of the day.

I started the day with the front at about a 45* and rear at 55*, but quickly had to move the back to about 45* because I just couldn't control the board.

Oh, and I'm running a prior ATV 167, snowpro FAST bindings, and deeluxe suzukas with the BTS. I'm about 6' tall and 185#

Anyone have tips to help me with these issues?

Powder isn't so easy to carve in and I go into freeriding mode when there's freshies around. When it hardens up try squaring up, driving your rear knee towards the ground and "pinching the pencil" on a heel side. I find that fixes a lot of my heel side problems with washout/chatter/etc.

You probably should set the front binding angle a little steeper than the back, try somthing like 48 or so in the front with you're 45 in the back. stance: If you can set up 19 inches or more 19 3/4. you may not be able to set up too wide if you cant put toe/heel lift into the bindings. No canting at all is a good way to be (I think).

An alpine board feels like it will run away out from under you when learning, If you don't get them into a turn, they speed up in a hurry! I don't know how you ride but i can say body positioning is pretty important on alpine. It's morel like a skiiers shoulder position than a boarder. square with the board. Then to initiate, push the hip out and twist the shoulders into the turn (along with the head). Everything is done in a graceful manner. harsh movements will make the board do things you don't want (when learning). I'm no instructor and i have not seen you ride but remember you're body follows you're head so look where you want to go, up into the turn:biggthump have fun, you'll get you're groove, and before you know it, you will have a coiler (or something) and laying trenches!!

Dude!!! I tried to carve at the Boat and I have a fair skill set, not a good idea after a 10 inch dump/ I found my wife and myself at the top of silver queen and quickly realized carving boards were not the right set up.

Dont beat your self up over this day. Wait till they roll it out and that trail on the face just to the left you can see from the bottom will be good.

Dont try to work on your game with a bunch of fresh snow, it will only frustrate you. Remember, I went there with 4 carving boards and an Osin4807 178, Gave up on the carving boards day 1.5 and rode the Osin the rest of the time

I'm so jealous you're in Steamboat. :D Sometimes you have to hunt there to find a good carving run. There are lots of very easy to moderate runs over in the Wallyworld part of the mountain, accessed from the Sunshine lift that would be good to start on. Tomahawk in particular, is wide, quite flat, and long, and might be an ideal run to learn on, since you won't build up any warp speeds there. High Noon and Sunshine Lift Line are steeper, though, and are two favorites of mine. Buddy's Run, from Storm Peak is also good. They generally try to keep these runs groomed, but they can be sweet one day and choppy the next. Though much shorter in length, Vogue, Voodoo, and See Me from the Christie Peak Chair are steeper, but usually groomed and lots of fun, too.

If you've got any fresh powder out there, forget carving for a while and be sure to explore Big Meadow...oh man, so fun. Mostly trees in there, but not tight. If the trees get you a little spooked though, hit the back of the mountain from the Morningside lift. It doesn't seem to get hit too hard and can be lots of fresh powder on the trail peripheries.

Swap the plates to a nice big fatty pow board and go see how much fun U can have on it with Hardboots in deep dumps :D

Wait till they groom and pack all that snow in... you will be lovin the alpine set up.

I ride a few boards with a higher rear foot angle also, but it gets tiring, and hard to control unless you sit back on your rear leg libe a waterski..... but that also turns the board into a mountain missle that travels at Mach 7 !

Stick with it, and remember, that you should always STOP riding when you get tired. Cold achy muscles are dangerous and often lead to injury.

Post pics !

Thanks for all the tips here guys... today was day 4, and I am Having a BLAST on the board!

Finally getting to where I can link good turns... I took pictures of my marks for comparison as I progress, my marks from today look very clean, like they should!

I'm still having issues on the steeper slopes, worrying too much about speed control and letting technique go out the window.

I hit the slopes first thing yesterday and got to make some new tracks on some freshly groomed runs... I spent a lot of time over on sunnyside on the wide blues... there are a few sections with lots of room and varying pitch.

Im still having issues with my heelside, I already feel like I could use a more aggressive angle in the back. I'm having trouble tucking my knee in, but Im definitely learning to get my body in the right spot on my heelside.

A big part of the trouble I'm having I think just comes down to leg strength. I had a major injury abot a year ago and I havent really gotten back into shape since then.

The snowpro FAST bindings can be very annoying at times... the heels are a bit worn and dont always want to cooperate.

Call me in the morning if you can, we'll see if we can hook up for a few. I'm with my nephew and son on softies, but I'll be on carve gear....

879-4068

Dave

I left a message for you the other day, not sure if you got it... I'll definitely give you a ring tomorrow.

The snowpro FAST bindings can be very annoying at times... the heels are a bit worn and dont always want to cooperate.

Be very dilligent with the FAST, hard to tell if you have full engagement. Make sure no snow/ice clogs the sockets, especially on fresh snow days, and try to find new heels if the sockets are getting wobbled out.

A friend was injured from an untimely release due to snow in the heel sockets:(

IS that some drug referances I see before my eyes ?

noooooo we snowboarders dont toke drugs Mr. Safety Patrol Oscifer.....

LOL.

:cool: uh.. yeah, there was perhaps "other" uses for said torch in windy conditions riding a chairlift that I have whitnessed, but I personaly do not condone such practices, just strictly using it to be a prankster by melting holes in the bottom or just under the lip of the styrafoam coffee cup when buddies are not paying attention and making a "dribble cup"....

:eplus2:

ps: mmmmmmm baked alaska.... mmmmmm but the merangue is such a chore to whip up and make perfect in the gondola with only a hand wisk and no AC power.

lorax, I feel you man. I just left my soft boots. Have to say love my hardboots and my TD2 SI, I will French Kiss a man who design it. Step ins are so easy, not sure if I will like to deal with standart one.

But hard boots set up it's the work out. I was lucky, no powder and I got my first low ( for me) turns. It was so great that I can't wait for more. Learning isn't easy and when you are along doesn't help to but I watch lots of carving videos, like every day.

My lower back is killing me but I count days till to every weekend, and with smile I go torture myself.

Cheers and good luck to us.