Note to New Members ×

The next step in snowboard specific geometries...

sfleck

I would be willing to try this if they got rid of the wavy edges, decambered rocker crap, and the silly graphics.

:freak3:

We do indeed ride different with where our weight is on the boards from toe to heel sides, but I would wonder how this will work with a purely Alpine stance.... most people riding GNU are Ducked-out stance park rats.

I also will not buy another GNU board, I've destroyed 2 GNU, and had a delam sidewall on a third all in 1 season. THey just cant handle the abuse of an agressive rider.

My new 186 nitro diablo & the smaller pyros had deeper heel side cut in '92. Asym core profiles are a throw back too, doesn't mean it won't work, sounds great for ducks in the park.

For me a 22 waisted, goofy shifted, asym profiled core, twin tip around 190 would be the ticket to ride, but I'm a really, really, small market.

demoed some banana:barf: libs last year and the magna trac was the only way I could hold an edge between my feet (couldn't tell the tips were there).

it would work great for an alpine ice board. It would be interesting to see the effects of different wave patterns.

a guy i work with was just telling me about this board...

i guess i'd like to know a little more about how this magne trac thing works... but seriously, i don't think i've ever met a park kid who really cared about carving... at least if they did, they never showed it in their riding...

and why does it have a sintered base if it just going to get smashed on rails and boxes any way?

So what, are you saying that the next big thing in race boards after metal is going to be serrated edges? If so then that's good, and I'll happily pick up on it once it trickles down to us mere mortals.

The magne-traction I've used doesn't seem to make a lot of difference either way. I'd guess that this is because I'm not actually trying to cut the snow as smuch as ride on it. It is hard to read beyond the marketing BS with some of these brands.

I was not a big believer in the hype around magnetraction either, but after riding the Rossi Jones Experience 168 MW this weekend in less than stellar conditions at Baker, I was surprised at how well it does handle riding on ice and transitioning between varied snow conditions. For backcountry riding it makes a lot of sense as the idea is to ride powder (hopefully), but when the conditions get icy you want a board that is going to hold an edge and the magnetraction does this fairly well. I am not saying regular sidecut does not work, as I am very happy with all of my regular boards, but I was surprised at how well the magnetraction performed and it was easy to tell the difference. My complaint is the board has such a small effective edge length and is a little too soft for my liking.

I also agree that many companies have been using different sidecuts for heal and toe side edges since the early nineties, nitro, apocalypse, and f2 to name a few it is funny that what is old is new again in board technology and shape as companies seem to just be trying old ideas combined with the newer materials and engineering, but I have not really seen anything major that has not been tried before (yes there are a few new materials and shapes, but nothing mind blowing or revolutionary).

b0ardski, I like your idea, but i would want it a little wider like around 24.5, directional shape with 1 cm of taper, rockered or early rise tip and then regular camber from front binding to tail, around 200 cm's and regular stance.

but I have not really seen anything major that has not been tried before (yes there are a few new materials and shapes, but nothing mind blowing or revolutionary).

I would call the combination of multi-radius/clothoid sidecuts with decambered nose/tail new and revolutionary, and when you ride them, mind blowing.