Note to New Members ×

square forward, underhang?

Wun

so, i'm having my real first days on an alpine stick. had to go to my bootfitter, and i ended up overpayin' for my eliminator tongue shims, but it does fill in the gap i didn't realize was in my boot, and hopefully it will take care of the nasty shin bang. i'll be havin' day two of my 09/10 season tomorra, and i can have a feeler on that.

hopefully that takes care of big problem number one. next...

i dig the bomber style. i want to square forward. i like speed. abel is my $@#%ing hero (i somewhat attribute his technique to bomber style, be it completely accurate or not).

when watching bryan's video, however, i think about it, and abel must be a big dude, thus having big feet (and we all know what they say about people with big feet :rolleyes:) while riding an 18.2 width board.

on the other hand, my only board's width is 20, and i have mondo 24 sized boots. my optimal angles (that is, shallowest with no overhang) are about 55-55. i anatomically have a pretty hard time trying to square forward, and it's hard to get a symmetrical vibe going on with my carves. i've been playing with my HSP forward lean/flex and TD2 disks for a while. i've just set my angles to 62.5-62.5 with some underhang and will test that out tomorra. is that common for people with my situation? does that ever happen at all with anyone else? do you guys just bite the bullet and go shallowest angles w/o overhang? am i just not tinkering enough with my gear?

as for having fellow carvers watch and critique me, that won't happen until february, unfortunately afaik.

Abel's style is very well suited to what he is: an exceptionally big, strong, athletic, aggressive rider who also has very precise technique. Most of us will never be able to do what he does.

I recommend finding a comfortable stance first and worrying about style later.

aahh! you're alive!

mom wants me home for christmas, so i'll probably be leaving to return home the night of the 24th at the latest (currently in tahoe). if you're around right when the blackout ends, that could be reason enough for me to come right back. definitely up for meeting on 23rd and/or 24th.

as for technique, i was hoping to knock a bit more out of the way, as i've already begun trying to do the exercises in some of the tech articles. i was hoping to be able to square forward right away along some of the other things i've been trying to do :lurk: after all, i am invincible! :lol:

Don't worry too much about facing totally forward - I give that advice to total newbies just to keep them from facing the toeside edge. As long as you're facing at least your binding angles, that's all that matters. 55/55 isn't too low.

I'm mostly just facing my binding angles here:

heelside09.jpg

well, as advised, i never went with the underhang. took one run with what i previously had, and after the very first minor tweak today, everything miraculously changed for the better. i can actually comfortably overrotate a little if i wanted, and my carves feel a lot more sound.

my shin bruises didn't really come out any worse than they were before i boarded today, so i guess the eliminators are working.

i don't feel any problems anymore, for now.

Why worry about facing forward?

Forgive my presumption if you're not new to alpine.

Common technique within a certain style of carving. As I understand, primarily it helps to avoid counter-rotation (particularly on heelsides), which many consider to be bad. Seems some people may like it also for the symmetrical vibes with a sturdy, efficient stance without too much "wasted" movement.

If you're new here, check out the links in Jack Michaud's signature.

Edit: Paragraphs 4-7 from one of Jack's links has an explanation.