Note to New Members ×

Targhee/SnowKing/Teton updates

dredman

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey dredman, Snow King only has one run open now, lane seven, but it is sweet. they are grooming right now cougar. the snow is mostly man made but it is the sweetest man made snow you have ever seen. I am going tomorrow if it is clear out. Kelly said she is going tomorrow as well. problem is, they are setting up race courses everyday, so not much room for anyone. I have not been to the village, word is it's not so good. We just need so much snow. :biggthump

The King was in good shape yesterday with 3" over NICE groom, but today was flat light, racers taking up fully 2/3 of Lane 7 (still the only run open), lumpy grooming on the edge where I was forced to ride, and my eyelashes started freezing together inside my googles.... :eek:

I only lasted 3 runs. Rock gym is looking pretty inviting today! :rolleyes:

Edit: hey casper, is it cold enough to revive the snot-cicle contest?!?!? You might have done well today!

Nah... you and DaveB may as well send 'em back now - those new boards won't be any fun at all. ;)

Seriously, the new Schtubbette is totally dreamy! :biggthump:p:1luvu:

I've been out 5 days, for just an hour or so each day... The first couple of turns were entertaining, going from the 8.2m slalom board to the Coiler at 12m, but then I got a little bit of a handle on how to tighten up the turn and all is well! The board has been unfailingly kind in all conditions so far - nice groom, bad groom, powder over groom, chop and pushpiles - it just eats it all up!

No riding tomorrow, as they've closed the mountain to the public for the FIS races, but there is snow on the way, so Sunday should be good! :-)

When your boards get here, we'll have to have a Team Coiler Session! Now if we could just get caspercarver to knuckle down and get his Coiler, we'd have the whole crew..... :D

Targhee is opening the main lift tomorrow. The are also having a bring some buddies deal till the 20th. Any season pass holder may bring 2 guests for $15 each. So if you need a buddy I am your man with the season pass. Dave B and I will be riding on Sunday if tomorrow proves to be reasonable conditions. I will give a report later tomorrow evening.

Bruce said the Coilers will be shipping on Monday!! Yahoo!!

Cheers, David

I completely understand. I am riding my 2003 vintage Coiler 180 RaceCarve rock board till conditions improve. I do have a regular foot asym Hot 155, very soft, kind of a fun board if you need a rock carver? I will make you a very tempting offer on the beauty!

I will get back to you tomorrow.

Cheers!

dredman, I plan on being in the Shelley/Ririe area over Christmas. My nephew wants to take me to Targhee for the day. Maybe we can take a few runs together. I will send you more details once I know what they are. Driving up on the 24th and staying through to the 30th.

Snow coverage is still a bit thin. Groomers had 4-8 inches of new on them. The leeward slopes had 8-12 of nice snow, so I rode the Pow board all day. Temperatures were comfortable. Snowed most of the day but did not really add up to much. Dave B. and I will be headed up tomorrow. We should be in the parking lot between 9-10.

See ya there!

Snow coverage is still a bit thin. Groomers had 4-8 inches of new on them. The leeward slopes had 8-12 of nice snow, so I rode the Pow board all day. Temperatures were comfortable. Snowed most of the day but did not really add up to much. Dave B. and I will be headed up tomorrow. We should be in the parking lot between 9-10.

See ya there!

Can't believe I'm passing up a $15 ticket :( but.... what are you up to on Thurs, Dec 17? So far I have that day completely free, and I bet there will be better coverage by then!!!! :1luvu:

You and DaveB have fun!

Dave B. and I had a great day! Dave rode the Nidecker Proto and I on my Pow-Stick. We ventured off a bit into the deeper pow and I found a very nice rock with my poor board. I will be doing some serious ptexing later. We did not want to do any more damage to the nice gear so we switched to the rock boards. It was not a carving day at all. Lumpy and bumpy where they had groomed because of the new snow that had fallen. The powder was pretty nice but they still need 2+ feet of snow to hide the sticks, logs and rocks.

It snowed most all of the day and added a couple more inches, and was snowing when we left.

Pray for more snow!!

Cheers, DR

I will be up at the Ghee this weekend, coverage should have been improving all week. I am really hoping for a carving day or two. If not should be good powder.

Come on up and ride, If you need a cheap ticket, Let me know cause the are letting season pass holders bring 2 friends for $15. Not one friend but 2. So come in pairs.

Cheers, David

2 Ravens and Keith,

Thanks for a great day! It was a blast riding and hanging out!! Hope you had a safe ride back over the mtn. I bet we will have Keith converted very soon to Hardboots!!

Your new Coiler is so sweet!!

So many Coilers, so little time....

Cheers,

post-3878-141842295132_thumb.jpg

post-3878-141842295135_thumb.jpg

post-3878-141842295138_thumb.jpg

Super fun day! You make carving look way too easy, and Big Dog Dave makes it look way too fun! :biggthump I'm still making it look way too hard, but at least my pink 'Grand Foggy' jacket is so blindingly obnoxious that no one will notice how I'm riding! ;)

Here are a couple of shots of the crew about to descend into the fog... :eek:

post-6122-141842295181_thumb.jpg

post-6122-141842295491_thumb.jpg

Hello, this is my first post. I discovered this forum just the other day and finally am able to post a reply due to some technical difficulties. I found this forum thanks to you guys! I saw you guys at Targhee last Sunday. Man, that looked like fun, and I was sold after seeing you guys making real turns on a board. I have been thinking about hard boots for a few years since I had my right ankle fused after a street luge injury. I have been snowboarding since 1983 (yes you read that right). I have been struggling the last few years since my injury. I can still ride the powder just fine, but I have a hard time on the groomers. My right foot/ankle will just not take the bumps because it just doesn't bend. I am thinking the different angles and complete stiffness of the boots will be the ticket to enjoying groomed snow again. I have done a little research just on this forum about the gear I would need. I need to talk to someone who does this! I have called every shop in my area and nobody even carries, or cares for that matter, any kind of hard boots or bindings. Can I connect with you guys in some way to find out some more details about what, where, and why you get your gear? I am excited about this and am commited to riding hard boots this season!

Hey oldbmxer66, welcome and Merry Christmas! The connection you're looking for is dredman, I'm guessing he'll be back after the holidays... I'm a beginning hardbooter, so I'm not much help.

But it might help to know what size foots you have (mondo size if you know that) as boots are the most important thing to find - and you might need some good bootfitting. What angle did you have your ankle fused at? (I ask because I learned to ski from a man who had his hip fused as a young man. When the docs asked if he wanted to sit or stand the rest of his life, he said he wanted to ski, and figured out the best angle for skiing... Must have worked, a few years later he was the first to ski the Grand... :biggthump)

Cheers!

What angle did you have your ankle fused at?

My ankle is fused at 90 degrees, the best for walking. I sometimes wish it had some forward lean though!

I will measure my foot. I thought I saw some instructions on here to properly measure your feet. I am not familiar with "mondo" size, but I am sure there is some info on this forum. This is a great forum with some great people it seems. I hope to get some gear soon. Christmas put us behind of course. Going to Targhee Sunday!

Does one of these forum members play ice hockey in the I.F. city league? I saw a photo of three gentlemen and one had a Frosty Gator hockey jersey on! The three of them were at Targhee. I have played ice hockey all my life and he looks kinda familiar to me.