Note to New Members ×

Bring out the Sidewinders

Bordy

Do you want some Bomber Sidewinders  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want some Bomber Sidewinders

• Yes, please I would buy them right now. Complete
    • Yes, I would want to up grade my current TDs with a sidewinder kit
    • Yes, but I would wait until I read reviews from riders.
    • No, my TDs are fine just the way they are, I love em
    • No, I already have a binding with flex and would not spent money for another
    • No, but I like flex and may consider them later if they are as good as Bordy think

Ok some of you may have been following the, Dont get mad at me, thread and I must admit I have had a bit of a hidden agenda over there, but I am going to come right out with it here and post it as a poll cuz well I want you all to enjoy one of Fins side project that he and Adam Cassanova(a long time bomber rider) have devoloped so here goes please vote and post any comments you would like.

:lurk:

For those of you who desire the controllable cush without the multiple failure problems of lighter, less substantial bindings, this is going to be the one. Racer feedback has been excellent and those few non-racers who have had the pleasure for spending time on em have come back smiling. I remember the days of TD1's, bone jarring, filling loosening ultra rigid ride with a perchant of destroying boards. Back in those days, I defaulted back to Race Plates because I liked the cush but always wondered in the back of my mind when they were going to fail. Now, with the sidewinders, we have controllable and tuneable cush without having to be concerned with failures. The only drawback that I can see for old fat men who hate to bend over and flip the bails is that it is currently is only available in a standard bail version and not step in, but something tells me step ins will be the next progression, I hope!

Hi Boardy

I have not seen the Sidewinder, but if it does what people have been hinting (controllable lateral binding flex) at I think I will be one of the best plate binding developments in a very long time!

I have not voted yet as I am confused by option #1.

When you say Complete, do you mean:

1) completely new TD binding that includes the sidewinder

2) a sidewinder add on that can be bought in pieces and parts

3) a sidewinder add on that is bought as a complete unit.

4) I want to be able to add these things to BOTH my TD2's and my Catek OS2's :D

I need more information to vote, but I am guessing that most people will want the option of buying only the parts that they want.

Come on Fin, Boardy ... it is way past picture time.

How about a CAD sketch

Rob

I saw these last year and the racers seemed to really like them. If they're available, I'm not sure why they're not "available"?? Maybe they're still being refined. ?? I also wonder if there are any plans for a step-in version w/ cantilevered heel blocks? I've been holding off upgrading to the current crop of TD3s along with new Fintecs, just sort of waiting to see what develops.

option 1 means a complete new set of sidewinder binders base plate sole plate and the side winder action, everything you would need to go ride, out of the box so your number 1

By option 2 I mean add on kite that would let you place the side winter toe and heel plate on yout TD sole plate.

I played with a set of the Sidewinders in the demo tent at SES. Very cool! I don't want to post too much as Fin is obviously still developing them, or possibly building up enough stock to handle the rush of orders once they're officially announced.

The quick and dirty is that they allow for progressive and tunable side-to-side flex (along the long axis of the boot) between the base plate and the new toe and heel blocks. At that time there were only the standard versions, but I would buy a step in version if they were ever made.

These blocks would bolt onto a TD3 base plate for sure, not positive on the TD2 base plate. They would replace part 'F' here: http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/parts_TD3.cfm

I've ridden them the whole season last year ( protos):

- great for EC with low angles on a wide board

- no more bent / broken bails vs ti TD2 ( this means lots because on a TD2 bails would bend after a few runs then brake after a few weeks)

- no more need for loose bail to compensate for lateral flex

- gorgeous stuff

The protos had a small shell fitting ( NW 900-950 have small footprint) issue that Fin worked around i believe.

I'd recommend them above all things I've ridden so far for EC...downside is height is a few mm above TD2. I also have a pair of TD3 normal but after riding the sidewinders on the first run i knew i would not ride them normal models for the season...:)

Nils

I was like 2 days away from ordering TD3's, and now this....

what to do, what to do

Fully retrofittable to the TD3. I'm about to buy another set of TD3s myself. It'll cost a bit more as you will have toe and heel blocks you don't need after the retrofit.

I would definately get some and wish they were available now. I just ordered my TD3s and would have purchased the #1 option if I had the choice. I just had a conversation with a racer who "wouldnt want to ride without VIST plates again". After having used a plate system, he definately would not want to go back. So, I will bet that Fins version will be nothing short of a huge improvement. Comparable to VIST ect but in the Bomber style, Shiny and cool looking.

Better buy some lottery tickets, I have 4 boards setup with stepins so I can switch boards on a whim without phockin around.

4 sets of sidewinders, 4 sets of fun plates and 2 sets of fintecs (soft and stiff boots) will cost more than my car, so as soon as I win the lottery I'll order 4 different customs & go whole hog.

Seriously, bomber laterally tunable stepins would be a dream, and should be available to all us old fart recreational carvers that are tired of bending over:biggthump

[_] Omg shiny!

[X] Wtf is a sidewinder?

[_] "Improvements" over the TD3? Unpossible!

Looking forward to pictures and reviews.

FWIW, I would be very interested in adjustable binding flex on the long axis of the board.

I don't see a way to do that without big increase in height, but I still like the idea.

I would have purchased them about two weeks ago if they had them. I picked up F2's instead. With that said, since I now have new bindings, I bet the SW's come out pretty quick...... I have that kind of luck.

Even if they came out soon, I will now be waiting a few years.