Note to New Members ×

Has anyone ridden a Donek saber yet?

MUD

The saber is a result of work with Zoe Gillings initially. At the end of last season I started doing some additional prototyping with Mark Harris and his young athlete Mick Dierdorff. So far they are the only people to have ridden this board in it's final phase. I'll forward a link to your post here to Mark and hopefully he can respond. His computer went down, so it may be difficult for him.

The saber is a result of work with Zoe Gillings initially. At the end of last season I started doing some additional prototyping with Mark Harris and his young athlete Mick Dierdorff. So far they are the only people to have ridden this board in it's final phase. I'll forward a link to your post here to Mark and hopefully he can respond. His computer went down, so it may be difficult for him.

Thanks Sean,

No hurry, when ever they get the time I would really like to hear about it.

What is a Donek Saber?

SaBeR (Soft Boot Race). It's primary development has been towards BX, but the concept of generating a race board for soft boots was something I started considering a couple years ago. There are a lot of junior racers and Nastar level guys racing on soft twin tips and sticking with them because they're not willing to spend $1500 to transition to hard boots. The idea is that something dedicated to a race course and a soft boot setup would enable them to push their abilities further than they can on some flimsy freestyle board.

Soft Boot Race= SBR =Saber

We took the original SBR and made changes to the dampening, changed the taper, and decambered the nose and tail. We went with internal dampening rather than metal for a variety of reasons and came out very happy with the results. The increased taper releases the turn well without over turning and makes the board more forgiving of a riders balancing movements while gliding flat-based. The decamber is subtle, you don't see a big, floppy nose out front. Again, it offers forgiveness in that the rider can make the adjustments that come with pack-riding without an unintentional edge set, but when it is rolled up on edge the extra nose and tail hook up for excellent mid-turn stabilty.

How does it ride?

Very easy to ride. Very easy to ride stupid fast. It is really nimble edge to edge, turns easily, and feels super confident underfoot. It rails big GS turns like crazy and doesn't get unsettled with mid-turn adjustments. Get on the nose a bit more and it will pop slalom turns too. Comfortable in the air, loves to rail and go fast= Soft Boot Raceboard.

Mission accomplished. -M

Awesome concept! I've been confounded by the way-too-short radii on softboot boards for years. I bet this board also slarves and skids like a dream. If my softies weren't in the town landfill I'd be all over this. Seems like this would replace the Razor, yes?

It appears to be a similar concept to the Kessler, Oxess, etc. BX boards, is it?

Donek, Very interesting concept. I can see a market for this for people who want an all around ripping board that they can use to jump into a Nastar or beer league course and be more competitive than with a standard soft boot board. One question: Can the board be ordered with a larger turn radius and metal construction as a custom build? I can see using the internal damping out west where you guys have real snow, but here in the east where boiler plate ice is the norm in a race course, metal construction has huge advantages.

Awesome concept! I've been confounded by the way-too-short radii on softboot boards for years. I bet this board also slarves and skids like a dream. If my softies weren't in the town landfill I'd be all over this. Seems like this would replace the Razor, yes?

It appears to be a similar concept to the Kessler, Oxess, etc. BX boards, is it?

The Razor is really a recreation carver and the Saber is designed more for racing. They are very different at this point. It is likely similar to the other BX boards. We did look at some of the aspects of the Kessler and Oxxess when specing the Saber BX boards.

Donek, Very interesting concept. I can see a market for this for people who want an all around ripping board that they can use to jump into a Nastar or beer league course and be more competitive than with a standard soft boot board. One question: Can the board be ordered with a larger turn radius and metal construction as a custom build? I can see using the internal damping out west where you guys have real snow, but here in the east where boiler plate ice is the norm in a race course, metal construction has huge advantages.

So far I haven't built any metal versions. I don't think a full width metal laminate would be feasible at this point. We could incorporate some metal into a prototype, but there's no way we could make it thick enough to mount a binding to it at this point. Thinner wider metal might help there, but we'd be looking at a completely different construction from our race boards. Right now the shortest Axxess type metal shape I can make is a 167. The width and soft flex conspire against us, resulting in a super thin core. The thinnest inserts available barely fit in it without causing problems.

SaBeR (Soft Boot Race). It's primary development has been towards BX, but the concept of generating a race board for soft boots was something I started considering a couple years ago. There are a lot of junior racers and Nastar level guys racing on soft twin tips and sticking with them because they're not willing to spend $1500 to transition to hard boots. The idea is that something dedicated to a race course and a soft boot setup would enable them to push their abilities further than they can on some flimsy freestyle board.

THIS MAKES MOVEMENT IN MY PANTS.

:1luvu::eek::biggthump

I heard a rhumor about such an item being FINALY made by some one and I had asked many reps why such was not made, and they said they had no answer as it sounded like a fantastic niche market item. I've held my breath for such, and perhaps I can exhale soon.....

I really am hoping to be able to demo one of these @ SES. hint hint....

I heard a rhumor about such an item being FINALY made by some one and I had asked many reps why such was not made, and they said they had no answer as it sounded like a fantastic niche market item. I've held my breath for such, and perhaps I can exhale soon.....

I have been looking for a board like this for a couple of years........ I'll take mine WIDE!!!!

The Razor is really a recreation carver and the Saber is designed more for racing. They are very different at this point. It is likely similar to the other BX boards. We did look at some of the aspects of the Kessler and Oxxess when specing the Saber BX boards.

How do the rides defer between the Saber and Razor? What would I notice switching between them?

I really am hoping to be able to demo one of these @ SES. hint hint....

kessler

SG

oxess

Apex

palmer

all of the above make BX boards, nice to see Sean doing it too and the price is better than the others. thank you for making this type of board accessible.

kessler

SG

oxess

Apex

palmer

all of the above make BX boards, nice to see Sean doing it too and the price is better than the others. thank you for making this type of board accessible.

Sean will do custom widths for the stock price also..... Up to a 31 is possible.

Bob, you miss the point, Its about Price, and also width and the custom factor. No **** there is a lot of other companies making a BX board (I own 2) but I'm looking for a free rider that feels like a carver with the response with a proper set up on softboots.

But Anyway.....

A 31 width would be lovely. Maybe I can finaly drop to a 45 degree stance with my Sasquach size12.5 bootz on a 176 length board!

And It is not about the not wanting to switch to an expensive setup, its about wanting to get off a course and then go throw down some fun-runs without needing to change gear!

Bob, you miss the point, Its about Price, and also width and the custom factor. No **** there is a lot of other companies making a BX board (I own 2) but I'm looking for a free rider that feels like a carver with the response with a proper set up on softboots.

That was Bob's point. :confused:

Bobs' point was to troll my post and pick it apart as the SABER is not just a BX board, but a true all mountain softboot carver.

He and I have a bit of an angsty "love affair" going on apparently :rolleyes:

You guys do seem to be stalking each other.......:1luvu: