Note to New Members ×

Jackson Hole - what to expect?

Jack M

Other thought for you Jack,

Whenever I have shipped my boards out west on trips, I have found that you can ship 1 board in a box for around $25 (185cm or shorter). 2 boards USPS sandwiched together for about $35, 3 boards, $45. You get the math.

X2 for both directions. You pick how many boards you want above 1, and know that its $20 a pop to take them.

Thanks everyone for the detailed info, I appreciate it. Buying a freeride or even an all-mtn carver right now isn't an option, especially considering my Safari doubles as an AM. I'm going to leave the big K at home and see how the Safari does. If I need more float than that I guess I'll rent.

Having seen you ride Jack, I think you'll be fine....more than fine. Maybe move the bindings back a little?

FWIW, I spent 2 seasons in the Rockies on hardboots riding a 166 w/ 18cm waist. I don't have a powder board to reference that against, but I had a sh!t load of fun out of bounds in some really deep powder.

Thanks everyone for the detailed info, I appreciate it. Buying a freeride or even an all-mtn carver right now isn't an option, especially considering my Safari doubles as an AM. I'm going to leave the big K at home and see how the Safari does. If I need more float than that I guess I'll rent.

dude, barrow something. I'll lend the tanker. I'm sure someone else will lend something more appropriate

if I sell the tanker I'll replace it with something smaller, skunk ape 172 or tanker 177 that I'd send with you or at least get you sorted out with riding softies before going.

even a narrow tanker or burton cascade or many other 175ish type freeriders with plates would be key in the deep.

JH has good groomers off of Apres vouz and the Casper chair. Off Thunder Chair hit Grand and Amphitheatre. Outstanding woods and steeps everywhere. The Mrs should love it cause you can hit tough exciting stuff and she can go mellow. You can meet at lots of trails in between and the lifts. Easy hook ups. My wife loves the place and has since her first year of skiing. If it snows, go to Targhee. GT is lots of fun but the drive is not worthwhile to me without the freshies. Snow King is an awesome, very steep local hill. They sell 1 and 2 and 3 hr passes. Arrival or departure days are great for SK. Go up the main lift, check out the liftline and feel your pulse go into overdrive. It's an amazing local hill.

Last year we finally ate at the Blue Lion in town and were blown away. Have fun.... Don't know how you can avoid it in Jackson

Leave your carve boards at home, or take one, of moderate length. Jackson is 95% ungroomed, and that's why you go there. And don't take a big'ol long board either, it does get some great snow, and there are some wide open glades, but there is a lot of tighter stuff, trees, narrow chutes, etc, that you'll want to be riding.

Take an all mountain board of moderate length for your height/weight/ability. You'll be happier on the plane ride home.