Note to New Members ×

Tahoe area

ecshredder

u didn't like some of the super steep groomers on Squaw Jack?

Definitely the non groomed stuff is great, but there are a bunch of steep groomed runs as well. Plus alpine boards are fun on non groomed. sometimes!

I always had a great time riding at Squaw and Alpine (somewhat similar terrain, quite near to eachother).

Rode Squaw, Sierra, Kirkwood and Heavenly.

Enjoyed Kirkwood the most except for their slow chairs. Squaw is great if you have a lot of snow. We didn't and were basically stuck on the groomers.

Heavenly is a must just for the views. Brown, dry Nevada on one side. Lush, green California on the other side.

I'm partial to Alpine Meadows for their excellent grooming and friendly staff. I haven't been to Mt Rose yet but all the experts like to go there. I have never been there :o Squaw is HUGE but every time I've been there it's a little more crowded than I would like. Northstar is a big cluster, avoid at all costs.

I'm sure you're skills have advanced since '98.

:eek:Like August?

We'll Jack's 12 years older, grumpy, fat and out of shape, so yeah he's gone down hill since 98 for sure:lol: The only thing that makes him look half way decent is the product he's riding. Bruce just makes it to easy for Jack to turn a board:boxing_sm

:lurk:

I respectfully submit that there is basically no point in even bringing anything other than a race board to Squallee.

Hey TahoeTrencher -- despite my glowing endorsement of Mt. Rose, I'm coming to Squaw this year along with 1M other yahoos on the cheap pass deal. I've always wanted a Squaw pass and now finally have the chance to have one. What are the good carving runs at Squaw? Shirley Lake seems pretty good... what else?

yeah, from what I remember, siberia bowl is awesome; there are also 2 or 3 chairs out to the right hand side looking up of Siberia bowl; shirley lake express is the lift, and you get to pick your run down.

KT22 also has a few goodies on the groomed side; the bumps are the size of VWs though.

Rose and Alpine have some awesome runs as well.

If you're going to be a ski bum. Then I'd suggest north lake somewhere. If you'll have a car, it doesn't matter too much which town. Tahoe City, Truckee, Kings Beach are all options.

If you pose this same question over on the TGR forums, you'll get some good insight from folks who have recently pondered and experienced the same issues. Just be thick-skinned. TGR folks can get cranky, especially with noobs (called jongs over there).

You can't plan to be a skibum

in fact by planning you take your hat out of the ring.

You must follow the path of least resistance to your soul.

You must must embrace down when the world tells you it is your duty to embrace up.

Like the apple that jumps out of the tree directly and irrevocably committed to the fall line, some have no choice.

It's not just good fun,

it's the law.

Could have had something to do with my gracious hosts, who were both softbooters. :D I just didn't get the impression there was much groomed terrain at all at Squaw. I seem to recall some good grooming up by the Palisades, but otherwise it all seemed like cat-tracks and easy-way-downs. Sounds like I didn't see the good stuff. Don't get me wrong, I had a spectacular time.

Geoff, your man-crush on me is starting to get creepy. Sheesh, get a hold of yourself.

• 3 weeks later...

As stated just prior, north star on a weekend is no fun at all but during the week its a blast. With good snow Sierra @ Tahoe is great. When you go you will kinda laugh because it looks so small but take the lift to the back side and you will love the little groomer runs that avail. They are great for carving. Also with north star it tends to get pretty slushy.