Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Timberline Reports 2009-2010

scubaree

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yup, freezing level dropped around 8am so we went up. HARD cord mixed with soft, freezing fog, flat light:freak3: took a few runs and bagged it. Jibber broke a collar bone:eek: Didnt miss much if you decided not to go.

Yep, I was hoping it would come down sooner and snow early. Didn't happen, at least as of 3am when I checked last, then called at 5:45am for first snow report. Didn't sound good, went back to bed. Try again Thursday. Been a hard post holiday let down. :mad:

It will return, looking forward to the turns again.

Thanks for the reports.

Curious if Jim M went to MHM today.

Headed down tommorow night, looks like it might be a good pow day on tuesday: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=pqr&smap=1&textField1=45.344583333333&textField2=-121.70625

I hope you are right Galen, I am getting REALLY tired of RAIN !!!!!!!!

We did sneak in a pretty fun day on Thursday. It was icy and poor vis but we found HRM was pretty smooth and made the best of it.

Erin and I hiked up to the midstation of Palmer on Sunday. It started partly sunny, but the clouds started getting lower, and by the time we got to the midstation of Palmer (which wasn't running), we couldn't see the top of the chair.

The descent was kind of meh up top, but pretty fun lower down. I'm clumsy as hell in softboots (until this season, hadn't worn them in 5 or 6 years), but conditions were probably the bigger issue. It was very icy up top, to the point that I could imagine falling and sliding all the way to the bottom of Palmer, and I couldn't carve any turns. Once we got lower, it was warm enough that there was a layer of corn/slush on top of the ice, which was not great but decently carvable.

It was fun enough once we hit the softer stuff that I would have gone for another run if I wasn't so tired out from the first climb. I should work on my softbooting skills (and board setup), but I have a splitboard on the way, so may not be hiking in my softies too much in the future.

Oh yeah, and the point of this post: Tline needs more snow! Looks like it will get some this week - hope so.

What days did you get in? Did the wind shut you down Friday?

Sounds like you had some fun on one of those days at least? Photos? Videos?

Finally we are going to get enough snow to freshen things up.:biggthump

Are you running the yellow pads in your TD3SW bindings??

Do you really eat Tatura butter?

Did you take that photo?

How many runs did you get in?

Have you been to Mt Bachelor yet?

Did you have Bruce mount a rubber bumper strip all around your new snowboard?

Do you have an FRS radio?

When do you plan to go up next?

Yes, I am just being silly now.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It was a little weird, like a gravel road,3/4-1 1/2 inch chunks, though they werent frozen solid. With Skibowl out of the loop this year, t-line's statrting to feel small. looking forward to my MHM spring pass kicking in! Take care of that leg! Have you tried Topricin? Much better IMO for localized pain/soreness then IB or other over the counter stuff.

It was a little weird, like a gravel road,3/4-1 1/2 inch chunks, though they werent frozen solid. With Skibowl out of the loop this year, t-line's statrting to feel small. looking forward to my MHM spring pass kicking in! Take care of that leg! Have you tried Topricin? Much better IMO for localized pain/soreness then IB or other over the counter stuff.

Galen, I was using some of the same words :( "Ice Cubes" , "Gravel" etc)

It was a game of knowing where the best conditions typically are and finding the "Good Parts" of those runs. The upper mountain had the best, driest snow, however the grooming was lacking. My favorite today was again Shooting Star Ridge. It was the smoothest and chalky surface until the last 1/4 of the run where it turned to gravel.

I will try Topicin, I will try anything. I looked it up and it sounds more topical? My pain is inside the leg, might have something to do with the 15" rod and many screws.

Thanks for the tip.

8", much dryer then yesterday, good vis. Expecting another 7-11 tonight and up to a foot tomorrow:) Mile still not open, a lift manager I rode with said maybe sat or sunday. Gonna be some happy riders up there this weekend after all this snow the past couple of days. Saw a guy on HB's, widish alpine board at moderate angles...WITH POLES!:freak3: What's up with that?

• 2 weeks later...