Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Reports 2009-2010

www.oldsnowboards.com

Big snow this week!! Lots of 33 degree snow. Wednesday was somewhat of a break in the storms. Finally got a chance to ride the new Tanker "Limited" in fresh snow. It performed really , really well. Smooth and surfy in the fresh snow, turned super easy and rode to the surface smoothly on deep, hard, fast turns. Traversed like only a Tanker 200cm can, score the "High Line" and get the "Goods". Those that like the float of the 200cm yet find it allot of lumber will find the rocker makes this Tanker pivot like a much shorter board. Fast? Wow, maybe I hit the wax combo right but, damn!! Next best thing to perpetual motion!!! Several time I figured I had milked one too many turns out of the run and it just keep rolling along like I was on ice skates.

The larger half pipe was ungroomed and looked like a "Powder Pipe" , yep, flowed it like the Powder Pig that I am :biggthump. Good fun!

post-198-141842295043_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842295046_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842295048_thumb.jpg

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big snow this week!! Lots of 33 degree snow. Wednesday was somewhat of a break in the storms. Finally got a chance to ride the new Tanker "Limited" in fresh snow. It performed really , really well. Smooth and surfy in the fresh snow, turned super easy and rode to the surface smoothly on deep, hard, fast turns. Traversed like only a Tanker 200cm can, score the "High Line" and get the "Goods". Those that like the float of the 200cm yet find it allot of lumber will find the rocker makes this Tanker pivot like a much shorter board. Fast? Wow, maybe I hit the wax combo right but, damn!! Next best thing to perpetual motion!!! Several time I figured I had milked one too many turns out of the run and it just keep rolling along like I was on ice skates.

The larger half pipe was ungroomed and looked like a "Powder Pipe" , yep, flowed it like the Powder Pig that I am :biggthump. Good fun!

Awesome news that the silvertanker preformed so well ! I was up on teusday with daughter on skiis ! I actually might be able to get this powder with skiis thing yet ? Had fun with her on easy rider learning the basics.

Jim

Awesome news that the silvertanker preformed so well ! I was up on teusday with daughter on skiis ! I actually might be able to get this powder with skiis thing yet ? Had fun with her on easy rider learning the basics.

Jim

Cool, we will have to do a "Powder Ski Day" some time! I think you got the good day. I watched the data the night before, then got up and checked it again at 5:45am. Ton of new snow at 32 degrees, then 33F , then the snow phone saying " rain snow mix" , I bailed and went back to bed. Got up at 10 to see another six inches had fallen at 32F. Evidently it was better than I feared. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss ;) Glad you and your gaughter got it!!

I think you are the ideal weight for the new "SilverTanker" although I was very pleased how it handled mine. Anxious to hear your report, hopefully it will be on the chairlift :biggthump

Jim, have you picked up some fat skis yet? I am trying to remember what you have.

I have like six pair of fat skis that are still in the wrapper. (SAC summer deals)

Probably would be a good idea to sell a couple pair. "hint, hint"

Back to plumbing :( :smashfrea:angryfire

post-198-14184229505_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842295053_thumb.jpg

post-198-141842295056_thumb.jpg

Big snow this week!! Lots of 33 degree snow. Wednesday was somewhat of a break in the storms...

Nice to see those pics Bryan, thanks for posting! I'm on a no-powder diet (except for earned turns) until Meadows starts selling their spring passes, so it's nice to see that other people are getting after it.

Nice to see those pics Bryan, thanks for posting! I'm on a no-powder diet (except for earned turns) until Meadows starts selling their spring passes, so it's nice to see that other people are getting after it.

Well Dan, you are missed for sure!! :(

You can feel pretty smart today however, it is RAINING big time up at MHM (40F). :o

PS, You wouldn't happen to be planning a trip to Eugene anytime soon?

Can you say "Transporter"

PS, You wouldn't happen to be planning a trip to Eugene anytime soon?

Can you say "Transporter"

You know, funny you should say that. I am trying to put together that day at Mt. Bailey, and I would drive through Eugene. We're looking at late Jan.; I'd be happy to swing by Mr. E's place and pick up some boards on the way home if that timing works for you. But are you sure that once that splitboard is in my car that it will actually get where it's supposed to go? :D

Well the snow level has come down. The A.M. Meadows report has 3" new and dumping 1" an hour. They also said the forcast is for 9"-13" today...

Now that's more like it. I intend to ride tomorrow. Anyone want to ride with a Colorado Snob ??? If the fresh is more than 6" or 8" I'll be rockin' the Duret Monster. It's a BIG FAT Mono that loves the deep. Otherwise the Volkl Monocarver, (skwal), will be representing. I'm not sure about Wednesday. Proll nite ride with some old buds, but, if the fresh is good then.....

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

You know, funny you should say that. I am trying to put together that day at Mt. Bailey, and I would drive through Eugene. We're looking at late Jan.; I'd be happy to swing by Mr. E's place and pick up some boards on the way home if that timing works for you. But are you sure that once that splitboard is in my car that it will actually get where it's supposed to go? :D

Hi Dan, that is a very good offer :biggthump You would be welcome to give it a go. Hoping I can get them back here before late Jan though.

Well the snow level has come down. The A.M. Meadows report has 3" new and dumping 1" an hour. They also said the forcast is for 9"-13" today...

Now that's more like it. I intend to ride tomorrow. Anyone want to ride with a Colorado Snob ??? If the fresh is more than 6" or 8" I'll be rockin' the Duret Monster. It's a BIG FAT Mono that loves the deep. Otherwise the Volkl Monocarver, (skwal), will be representing. I'm not sure about Wednesday. Proll nite ride with some old buds, but, if the fresh is good then.....

Don

Feed the addiction...:eplus2:

Hi Don, sounds like you had a good one last Friday. If the temperature stays down, I am in. It would be great to make some turns with you again. We will REALLY confuse them!!

Super nice day all around!! Most importantly I got a chance to rip around with an old sno-bro and meet a new one. Tough decision this morning.

With the holiday crowds I decided to take out some skis. 4" since close yesterday, 8 in the past 24 hours. Did a pretty good job of covering the ice from last weeks rain. Mountain cleared and they managed to open Vista and then Cascade. Did take but one run and they were pretty hammered. Fun to watch Don "Mono-Dude" snaking thin carved lines through the soft groomers and powder alike.

Heard Dan L on the radio but never saw him, saw Jim and his youngest on the chairlift. Fun day!! Wednesday should be awesome groomers. Pretty sure I won't be willing to deal with the crush of those on holiday. Enjoy!!

Follow cam / Don crusin on his Volkl Skwal with Catek OS2 Stds./Mt Hood Meadows / Hood River Meadows area.

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1299220767369" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1299220767369" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>

From the MHM Site:

New Snow Past 24 Hours: 1

New Snow Past 12 Hours: 0

Mid Snow Depth: 62

Surface Conditions: The groom is looking "pretty" according to the groom crew, with icy spots in high traffic areas. Off the groom, the snow is hard and variable. Stay on the groom and in the parks, and you'll have an awesome day on the slopes! Groomers' choice: Sunburst.

Road Conditions: It's icy on 26, 35, 84 and the access road. Please carry traction devices and drive carefully.

Bryan,

Was going up to Hood (meadows) with a friend on Wednesday (tomorrow) but he just bailed, I wanted to go up with my Rav4 (4wd)but don't have chains/cables. Think it would be a bad idea? or would Skibowl be a better bet for easier access? Thanks!!

Kelvin

Kelvin, I sure hope tomorrow is Tuesday?

Wednesday is supposed to be a big snow day.

Skibowl still requires traveling up "Map Hill" which is often the worst of the drive to MHM. With 4WD and good tires you should be good to go either way. Studs of course are the ticket if it is indeed ice. Starts to snow Tuesday with great snowfall overnight. Once the roads are snow covered again it should be pretty easy with a 4WD and snow tires.

Bryan

Went up today (Tuesday) and it was a perfect groomer day. I used my brand new one year old Coiler metal stubby (chopped AM) for the first time and can't believe how perfect a board it is. I can now understand the hype about these boards.

Picked up some chains at Les Schwab in Sandy (if you don't use them you can return them after chains season!) for the chain carry provision in the 4WD exception. Ironically had the chains just in case going up the mountain but if I actually needed them it would been in PDX where there was about 2 or 3 inches by the time I got home. Thanks for the info. I just shoulda dug deeper into the web before sending out the call. BTW no ice to speak of was encountered on the way up.

Yep I was thinking about going up too . I might go tomorrow if it stops raining and the hospital wants us to "flex" off hours .

Getting ready to watch the 5 oclock weather report. Yesterday Matt Z said

Thursday would be the first dry day. Followed by more rain and high freezing level on Friday.

FYI. Galen has been posting on the T-Line thread if you had not already seen this.

Can you go Thursday??

Ideal conditions? No! However, I am sure glad I decided to go. It was sounding pretty iffy after days of rain on the mountain. Mike T and I passed the "Go" / "No Go" back and forth a few times and Mike pushed the "Go" button pretty hard. Entering the parking lot was "Oh Crap" , deep slush and ICE. I had two newly created / modified / purchased items I wanted to test. The 193cm Elan SCX RP skis with the New HD Snow Stix won out all things concidered. The other was the Coiler "Headhunter" and it didn't seem like the ideal tool with hard ice surface potential conditions.

Well, between the low vis fog and mixed conditions we found a pretty good set of conditions down below the clouds on HR. The video of Tinkler Cam should give you a pretty good idea of the conditions overall. Thanks MIKE!!

Mike is riding his "Short Board" TNT Custom. The plate matches his new duds. :biggthump

<object width="400" height="300" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1316147870536" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1316147870536" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"></embed></object>