Note to New Members ×

Mt Hood Meadows Reports 2009-2010

www.oldsnowboards.com

Where was everybody? Carving was nice for a few hours, and patches of blown-in powder weren't too bad for a few floaty turns here and there. One & Two bowls got nice and soft later in the day and were fun when the groomers were getting too gooey. Pretty cool and breezy under the lenticular cap at the top of Cascade, but a softbooter in a big flannel shirt and bikini bottom was doin' her best to brighten the day. Bless her heart and - uh - bones.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where was everybody? Carving was nice for a few hours, and patches of blown-in powder weren't too bad for a few floaty turns here and there. One & Two bowls got nice and soft later in the day and were fun when the groomers were getting too gooey. Pretty cool and breezy under the lenticular cap at the top of Cascade, but a softbooter in a big flannel shirt and bikini bottom was doin' her best to brighten the day. Bless her heart and - uh - bones.

Sorry, didn't know you were coming? Would have considered going up.

Lift lines? Curious , with only a few chairs running, I wondered if Sat and Sundays are like winter crowds?

Still in town?

Timberline got a foot last night, open during the week.

Bryan

I wasn't sure myself until Sunday morning. I had a work party at White Pass on Saturday, then drove Satus down to the Dalles and spent the evening puttering around on my boat. They haven't got wireless in the marina yet, or I might have put out a query.

Lines weren't bad at all, at least riding single. Cascade was running fitfully - I don't remember one continuous ride up it. The main parking lot was pretty full but there was some charity race going on. It looked like a lot of people on the hill at times, but there aren't that many runs open so the uphill capacity is starting to push the downhill capacity. Had to be a little careful about traffic, but some of the best groomers were nearly vacant.

I might try for one more day this weekend, depending on whether boat parts or garage door parts get here by friday. If neither, I might try for Saturday since my wife has to work. We'll see how the weather is looking... I'll post a note if I decide to go for it, and hope we can meet up.

I was up last Saturday. Pretty wintery conditions! It was blowing too hard to run Cascade, and we were getting...well, it was closer to sleet than snow, but it beats rain. Some of the gullies were getting filled in well enough to get some powder turns -- pretty fun day!

Up again this Saturday, I think -- anyone else?

Bryan, thanks for the pics from Timberline -- this is the season that keeps on giving!

I was up last Saturday. Pretty wintery conditions! It was blowing too hard to run Cascade, and we were getting...well, it was closer to sleet than snow, but it beats rain. Some of the gullies were getting filled in well enough to get some powder turns -- pretty fun day!

Up again this Saturday, I think -- anyone else?

Bryan, thanks for the pics from Timberline -- this is the season that keeps on giving!

My pleasure, more from today being posted soon.

Awesome bluebird carving day today. There was also a fair amount of untracked "powder", but it has been going through melt/freeze cycles since it fell mid-week, so it was wet and inconsistent, then sticky later in the day. I was riding a BX board, so explored off-piste a fair amount, but didn't find that much that was worth riding.

The smart money today was on the groomers: icy early on, but pretty much perfect by 9:30 or so. Cascade was great and they even ran the Vista chair around 11:30. Awesome! By 11:30 or noon things were getting dangerously soft, and you had to be a little bit ginger and not overpower the edges, but up until that, it was truly perfect carving conditions, and I wished I'd brought an alpine board.

Saw Mike Tinkler on a Tinkler full system but didn't get a chance to say hi, and also ran into a French guy riding a gorgeous Swell Panik alpine board with wood topsheet -- he said it was 90s vintage. Good looking board but unfortunately we only chatted in the lift line so I didn't get a chance to see him ride.

• 2 months later...

I just thought it would be wise to post here too. So many of us are off doing other things during the summer. Perhaps those with email alerts would get the news.

Here is a link to the thread with updates and links about Mike's accident.

Please post there, not in this thread.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Quick reminder for all the BOL folks subscribed to this thread.

New thread is up for this coming season too.

www.skihood.com

Mt. Hood Meadows is offering individual discounts on unlimited season passes purchased on-line by November 7. In the past these deals were available only by forming a group!

•$449 for ages 23 – 64 regular price $900 after 11.7.10

•$339 for ages 15 – 22 regular price $600 after 11.7.10