Note to New Members ×

The car that

bjvircks

IIRC, the steering column has a pivot or U-joint at the bottom to allow for the tilt. A guy in my local BMW club had one. It was for sale and I was tempted but kept picturing myself going headfirst through the windshield.

Don't forget to give the Italians credit for the overall design. That car was the Iso Isetta before it was a BMW. Although the Italian version broke down any time it felt you needed an espresso.

You are correct about the steering column being 'hinged' at the bottom via a u-joint and column sliding on the door bracket, dropping the wheel into your lap.

Yep... designed in Italy and the design was licensed for build in Germany, France, England by various automakers. One English version has only one back wheel so it would be classified as a motorcycle. Lower licensing fees, lower drivers license fees and less stringent qualifications to get drivers license. These are rare now because they were very prone to rollover.

In case of a front end accident you were expected to climb out the canvas sunroof.

When I stumbled across this car I had a hard time accepting that it was a BMW because all my recollections were of the quirky Italian ISO.

Yep... designed in Italy and the design was licensed for build in Germany, France, England by various automakers. One English version has only one back wheel so it would be classified as a motorcycle. Lower licensing fees, lower drivers license fees and less stringent qualifications to get drivers license. These are rare now because they were very prone to rollover.

Three wheelers were big in the UK, in the 50s, and 60s, because as you say, you could drive them with a motorcycle license. The most famous was the Reliant Robin. Popular in the sixties, it survived in production until 2001.

Popular joke used to be.... A rabbit dares another rabbit to stand in the middle of the road at night. He says "it's easy, just watch for the headlights of the car and crouch down between them. You'll be safe". Second rabbit gives it a go. Car comes along and SPLAT. First rabbit says "it's funny that you don't see many Reliant Robbins these days".

BobD

post-340-141842285311_thumb.jpg

how bout a shot of the tiny engine? isn't it a single or 2 cylinder?

Shred told me that the BMW "Roundel" logo is an abstract representation of what a two blade airplane propeller looks like at speed. It's a reference to BMW's previous business as a military aircraft manufacturer before they were bannished from that industry as part of the WWII peace treaty.

Oh and I forgot. In the UK they were known as bubble cars.

Here's some details of the Heinkel version

http://www.heinkel-trojan-club.co.uk/cabin_cruisers.htm

As a kid, I always thought the tandem Messerschmitt would be super cool. Like flying in a WW11 fighter plane

Elvis had one http://www.elvispresleymusic.com.au/pictures/messerschmitt_elvis.html

post-340-141842285312_thumb.jpg

post-340-141842285313_thumb.jpg