Note to New Members ×

Any other dual purpose moto riders out there? My latest trip....

fin

Just had a great weekend where I was able to barrow a buddies BMW 1100GS (married with 2nd kid on way, who is he kidding). These are the big dual sport bikes that they used in "The Long Way Round" if you have seen that. We started in Aspen, riding up the hill, over Taylor pass, into Crested Butte. Next day from the Butte to Telluride via Owl Creek Pass and a few other small passes. Then I rode back via back roads to Carbondale the last day.

These are great machines that can do quite a bit but my lessons learned where:

- They are HEAVY. Do NOT do anything that resembles technical off-road. We made the mistake of thinking we could do Taylor Pass out of Aspen. We had our asses handed to us. We did not get down the other side until almost dark. At one point we had to two man it over a water crossing that went on for over 200 yds. Near the end of the day, if a bike went down it took both of us to lift her as we were so tired. Lesson learned.

- These machines love nicely graded dirt roads and non-tech jeep roads.

- When you do get on the road they are crazy fast. At 1100 cc these machines are not slow.

I definitely got the bug but I am thinking a large single cylinder machine might be the way to go. The KTM 690 looks like the one.

Some pics of the trip:

post-1-1418422848_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842284803_thumb.jpg

post-1-141842284807_thumb.jpg

Fin,

We have a little Dual Sport group here in VT. I ride a KLR650, Paul K. also has a KLR650, Steph rides a DR200.

Our vistas are not as good as yours, but we can go for hundreds of miles on dirt roads and class 4 roads. Steph and I are actually going on a trip next week on our bikes, almost all dirt roads about 500 miles.

The 690 adventure is great ride that was my other choice when I bought the KLR but the price made the choice for me.

Dollar for Dollar I think the KLR is also a great bike, just gets a little hairy when you get in the technical stuff.

Here are a couple of pics of us.

PICT0297a.jpg

PICT0339a.jpg

PICT0326a.jpg

PICT0303a.jpg

Fin looks like you had a blast in the mountains. Yeah the GS is way to heavy for any technical stuff. Don't be fooled Alex can work his KLR pretty good through some technical stuff. I went out with him a few weeks ago on Stephs DL200 and had a blast, covered from head to toe in mudd and :D from ear to ear. It all depends on what you want to do with the bike, if you are staying on 4x4 roads the KLR would be perfect for that. The KTM will be a fun but is over priced and KTM's have some tech issues.

too bad this girl wasn't with you...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6_2VqSHBw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZ6_2VqSHBw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I like that KTM 690. You might also check out the BMW F650GS or the 800.

the bigger BMWs are awesome, the KTMs are awesome but unless you're doing serious trips, like 1000s of miles in one trip I feel they're overkill.

plus, a good enduro bike or slightly modified MX bike eats the big boys alive even on semi technical trails.

If I could have anything bike wise it would be 450ish enduro bike with a street plate, the reason being is I love hitting sand pits and tight trails.

if I had 9k to drop, that KTM 530EXC R or a honda CRF450x. honestly, even my little stock 250 goes 80mph and with knobbies that's as fast as I want to go.

speaking of my 250, I need to go work on it now that my arm is getting better, figures I dump it doing less than 30

I have a 97 KLR and love it to death. I have some hard sided luggage boxes and some soft luggage boxes. I concur with using it on fireroads, I have taken it on some singletrack and some nasty 4X4 roads and it is not very nimble. I road from San Bernardino to Phoenix to St. George, Utah on it. While it is not the highway cruiser the BMW 1150 GS is it did okay. 300 plus miles on a tank is not too bad either, my butt could only take around 200 though.

Fantastic pics everyone! Looks like there is a good showing of this from BOLers.

Yep, I have a few other buddies that love there single KDRs and so on.

Question: how would you rate the KDR (big bore size) on the highway? The one nice thing about those huge BMWs was on the Hyw they where butter. But I figure as long as I could do, say, 80mph without my teeth vibrating out I would be fine on a large single cylinder. Opinion?

Fantastic pics everyone! Looks like there is a good showing of this from BOLers.

Yep, I have a few other buddies that love there single KDRs and so on.

Question: how would you rate the KDR (big bore size) on the highway? The one nice thing about those huge BMWs was on the Hyw they where butter. But I figure as long as I could do, say, 80mph without my teeth vibrating out I would be fine on a large single cylinder. Opinion?

comes down to tire choice and what sprockets you run I'd think. talk about bang for the buck though, less than 6K for a very capable machine.

the coolest thing about the KLR is you can get a diesel model!!!! http://www.hdtusa.com/vehicle-m1030-m2.php

there's also the honda XR 650, suzuki dr650 and the zuki V storm. the V storm I don't know a whole lot about other than it's heavier than anything I'd want on dirt.

with pretty much all the japanese bikes, skid plates are a must. seen some BMWs and KTMs that are fairly well protected stock, I suppose there's different design philosophy at work.

Just bought this this past weekend.

My first bike!

2.jpg

if you want a 2002 wr 426, let me know....... now that I got a total loss check on my other bike I'm looking to replace the WR because I can afford to. it is fast.

seriously though, what are you riding?

BTW, Alex or anyone else in the east, if anyone has something that's street plated and a true dirt machine, let me know, I am looking.