Note to New Members ×

Is this chip fatal on a cap board?

Spiny Norman

I don't think you can do any sort of structural work on that board. Just sand the wound, clean it up with your mild solvent of choice and slap some marine epoxy on it.

Based on doing repairs on my brother's capped board, you can't fix these sorts of things, just slow down their rate of decline.

And if it doesn't work out, just remember, it was an Airwalk anyway. ;)

Norm

I don't see any structural fiber hanging out of the edges of the chipped skin, which makes me think it is just a thermoplastic cosmetic skin, in which case flexible epoxy will make it good as new, if not as pretty. No damage to the edge or core structure are apparent from the photo either. If you can see any separation of layers, use a thin (runny) epoxy first and try to work it into any separations by flexing the board or wedging the gaps open (ever so carefully - don't want to make matters worse). Then follow with some thicker and opaque or UV-resistant epoxy.

If the skin was structural, the edges of the wound would be all raggedy with lots of glass, carbon or Kevlar fiber hanging out. If the surface of the structure that is exposed looks sanded or looks really shiny, there was probably a void there from insufficient fill adhesive used at assembly and a good whack or two (missing your stomp pad, even) would crunch the skin at the edges of the void and bust it off. Good luck.

i fixed my proton with a two part structural epoxy , i think its used mostly for installing fenders/quarter panels on some imports. only about 15 cure time..seemed to hold the board together pretty well. doesnt look good but it holds together. i gave it a several hard tests.. ouch!

my 2 cents

if flex is really an issue use some west system G flex epoxy; epoxy generally is quite brittle and may break; uin this case with some cloth should be ok.

If you have not used epoxy before, then be aware it is rather toxic, and also requires some basic preparation.

You will need to sand the surface, and make sure it is thoroughly dry. Should probably be an area larger than the direct area you need to glass up. You need to mix the resin in exactly the mix ratio required, and mix small amounts.

I would have thought you also need to use some sort of cloth or similar; about 200g woven roving, biaxil or similar would be ok; as resin is basically liquid, and has no inherent strength; alternatively you could mix in some glue powder but again that makes it more solid, but not really holding strength, just pooing up the hole.

If you use plastic bags or even better, peel ply, then you can avoid run off.

If you do multiple layers understand amile blush and either wash, or better still do your first layer, let it primary cure, the glass while it is still tacky for a second layer.

Typically, I used to do a lot of fibreglassing and found wearing gloves a good plan; latex surgical gloves are good.

Try to avoid it running all over the place, as it is a swine to sand. If you want, can use the brown plastic tape packing tape as it won't stick to that as a cover for your board and that will protect the rest of the area.

Personally, i'd take it to a shop and get them to do it.