BlueB

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Originally Posted by ruwi viewpost.gif

I will be 55 next year, just call it mid life crisis, freedom 55, whatever:freak3:

similar story here, i'm 47, started longboarding 3 months ago, have been riding every weekend with my son, he started 4 months ago and has been riding almost every day since
Originally Posted by BlueB

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE FOR HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

:lol: so true :biggthump

I can't believe it was me, that was really my first time on a longboard. I remember watching my son riding a little bit of the short ones but I never really tried myself. Now I'm hooked too. Doug(tenorman) sent me a photo of him in a downhill competition at Alberta and my thoughts were " I will never set foot on those boards, now why I didn't do it before. I will be 55 next year, just call it mid life crisis, freedom 55, whatever:freak3:

that's awesome. and i thought i was getting too old for new tricks like this.

odd that a bunch of us of similar-ish demographic are picking this up at the same time. serendipity?

Come out and race!

hi vancouver beginners:

i think WAVECHASER means a beginner category SLALOM race. you can get seriously hurt in a DOWNHILL race as there are no beginner categories.

the hill BLUEB picked in coquitlam for practicing downhill is actually a lower mainland slalom venue. probably the east coast slalomers would find it too flat but most of the cone dodgers here are using it as cross training for downhill—in other words we all suck at slalom out here in the vancouver area lol.

here’s a video of a slalom event we had out here a few years ago. <object height="344" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ds-c84gh6c&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="344" width="425"></object>

the fast guy at 45 seconds is BRAD JACKMAN. the crazy guy skating in his bare feet at 57 seconds is BRIAN “KING BRIAN” ELDERKIN. other fast guys are: MALCOLM STOOKE at 1:14. COREY MOY at 1:27. PATRICK “P-SWISS” SWITZER at 1:41. KEVIN “K-RIMES” REIMER at 2:11. btw i’m the slow guy at 2:17.

it is interesting to compare the slalom riding of KRIMES & P-SWISS with their downhill riding in the "PURPS" video posted by OLDSNOWBOARDS in this thread: http://www.bomberonline.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=26060&page=2

Nope - I meant just race, any race. I started skateboard racing again at age 45 and jumped right in...no reason someone with previous skate experience can't do the same.

You can get hurt just as bad in a 35-45 mph slalom race as you can in a DH, maybe worse becaue you generally don'y have leathers and a full face. And yes, there ARE some "beginner" DH races, I've done several in Canada. They can still be plenty fast and dangerous, like the beginner class at Munsville, but allow you to get a taste of what it is all about.

Don't matter how old you are, what "division" you are in, or where you are - just come out and race...the more the merrier! :)

you don't necessarily have to go to a race either Some places like Vancouver. Socal, ABQ and RADo have groups of skaters who hold regular "gatherings" I am loosely affiliated with such a group here is SE CT and RI that gathers pretty much on a weekly basis for some kind of Down Hill fun and usually quarterly for a larger event at a local spot that can support 40-60 skaters. it is worth spending some tie on forums like ISSA, NCDSA, Coast and Silverfish to name a few just to see if there is a group near you that you could join up with

• 2 weeks later...
very nice!!!

can i ask you if the semicircle cutouts on the side have a purpose?

the original board name for the longer version was toecutter/camel toe, the smaller version has the name baby toe/jailbait depending on the construction. As was said the purpose is for hooking a toe into for drifting and or pulling the board back under you. I find it also makes it easier to find the correct foot placement when transitioning from tuck to cornering and back again

• 4 weeks later...

they say that copying is a form of flattering so

thank you Gecko for posting pictures of your new board

i took your design, the specs of the Rayne Demonseed, my own ideas, i put everything in the blender at high speed and this is what came out

the PUNISHER

Julian's new downhill board, just in time for his 15th birthday and it happens to be the 15th deck i made

15specialcopy.jpg

i'm sure Julian will post more pictures when it's complete

and just to stay in theme with the original post next photo was taken about a month ago, it's safe to say that me and my son are both hooked

LONGBOARDQUIVER.jpg

Candy Spanks Jailbat all set up.........Stage 7 Indy 215's with 8mm Axles, my last set of Fishballs...I've been up and down the street a bunch on it just playing around, first thought is that the concave is much more aggressive than I am used to second thought is how amazing it feels......sadly I won't be able to skate it fast until next weekend

What are fishballs?

and how do the stage 10's add up to the 7's?

better?

worse?

I have 10's 215 on my punisher right now.

75mm Durians 86a

I'm pretty sure they were a limited release run of Zigs/bigzigs made with rounded lips.

They're essentially the same thing as Retro freerides.

Fishballs were a limited run of "POWERBALLS" made with Reflex Thane that became the basis for the Freeride line of wheels.

arclite = My board is considerablly different now than it was when I posted that description. I have replaced the StageVII baseplates with 15º/5º Cindrich plates and the wheels with Lime BigZigs (see pic below). Stage VII hangers allow for axle replacement StageX's do not baseplates have 6 holes nor the option to use a regular grade 8 kingpin, being limited by the button head kingpins in the latter series of trucks....

As for the board itself I have just been skating it. It's a board that has allowed me to jump forward in my skills. I ride a lot faster and more controlled than I have in the past...

It's fast, it's turny, it's silly! And it took 15 minutes to make, the bulk of which was consumed by the hand carved wheel wells. Tracker RTS/X setup with 92A grippins. (very strange feel with those wheels) Brass hardware, because I'm madd. Pardon the graphics, it's a San Diego thing! I put it in juxtaposition with other silly things I had in my room. SORRY ABOUT THE SIZING. My right mouse button has a mind of its own, and I can't resize them without ripping my hair out.

2vuy803.jpg

2aguweu.jpg

r2pbig.jpg

111upvo.jpg

Powerballs - those Abec 11 Pink! wheels?

also, whats better, softer bushing on bottom (closer to the board) or on top (closer to the ground) ?

yup awesome wheels if you are man enough to ride pink....if not Chaput just released classic thane freerides in green (84a) amber (81a) and red (78a)

Most of the time you will put the harder bushing on the bottom and softer on top

yup awesome wheels if you are man enough to ride pink....if not Chaput just released classic thane freerides in green (84a) amber (81a) and red (78a)

Most of the time you will put the harder bushing on the bottom and softer on top

What about the Retro Freerides?

How to they rep-up to the other wheels?

Is there a difference between harder on top and softer on bottom?

What about the Retro Freerides?

How to they rep-up to the other wheels?

Is there a difference between harder on top and softer on bottom?

Retro thane is stickier and slides a bit chattery compared to Classic thane sliding smoothly. I prefer the Retro and or Classic Freerides to any of the Otang freeride wheels

bottom bushing is weight bearing top is for turning....set up with a soft on the bottom hard top is will feel mushy and turn for crap, the exception is for a slalom rear but you are still talking 2 fairly hard bushings

• 3 weeks later...

just got an unplanned hardware upgrade - won a local radio station contest & picked up a rayne nemesis (coincidentally what i was planning on buying next year). radness. surprisingly nimble (given its 8" longer than anything i've ridden previously) and stable. the dropped deck rocks, & i've been able to slide the thing a bit. good times! can't wait to put some miles on & advance the skills.

Rayne.jpg

newb question - the stock bushings (transparent red on randal r2's) seem super loose from my perspective. not bad when carving, but twitchy when pushing. i read the duro is 92, and most people seem to run softer. is the looseness / perceived instability something i should just get used to, or would replacements be recommended (i'm 165lbs, for what it's worth). advance thanks!

From personal experience and my friends experience, after riding on R-II's for about 2 days, the stock bushing washer digs into the bottom bushing and cuts clean into it.

Ditch the bushings and washers, get come khiro bushings that come with washers.

Personally, on a 42" board with R-II's, I liked the bitch bushings 85a.

I'm 165 as well.

Maybe get some khiro standards in 85a that come with washers so you don't have to worry about the randal washers killing your bushings.