Note to New Members ×

UPZ difference?

jojogreen

is there any difference between the UPZ RC10 and the RTR?

I was looking at boots to race with next season and i was recomended getting a pair of UPZ. when I went to their website, they had two models (RC10 and RTR) and they seemed identical. Other than the price, color's etc. is there anything about them that makes the RC10 better than the RTR for racing?

My understanding of the current racing trend is that riders have gone back to what I was wearing when I last raced (early '90s) - or the modern equivalent...

1990 - Raichle Flexon was THE go-to boot for racing

2009 - (from what I hear, not racing anymore) - Dalbello Krypton (which is basically a Flexon Clone with better plastics)

also there were quite a few still racing on Burton Fires. I think boot choice is really a personal decision. Talk to Philfell and Bordy - they will have better info.

Is this really still required on the new generation UPZs?

Whole bunch of Vancouver guys bought the new RC10s recently. We dissembled them at my house few weeks ago and concensus was that they should work without T-nuts. There is a plastic ledge on the toe box that goes into the toe block, so the force is not just on the screws buit rather on the ledge itself.

However, don't take me for granted, maybe some of the pros can confirm? Phil, Bordy?

Tex- Seems like it's changed over the course of the season?

From a Bordy post titled "already oldschool"

Lots of riders are coming off the kryptons next year, we have been getting lots of UPZ for athletes that used them last year....

Plus there was a higher then normal injury rate for riders in the krypton.

On top of that, Neil Sunday mentioned breaking his in one day in that same thread.

Why not get the Head boots? You can buy them locally so they can be fitted properly and tweaked whenever you need it. Elite Feet sells them. Normally just in the Squaw Creek location, but in summer I think they move the stock over to Northstar. Not sure who is working there now, but Bordy's friend Jeremy works at the Squaw location in winter and is a golf pro there in the summer. You might call him or stop by and see what you think. Definitely easier than dealing with Dan Yoja for boots. You can tell them Sinecure sent you - at least Jeremy knows who I am. They probably have very limited stock until the new ones come in sometime this fall. Its at least worth trying them on to see how they fit you.

Is this really still required on the new generation UPZs?

Whole bunch of Vancouver guys bought the new RC10s recently. We dissembled them at my house few weeks ago and concensus was that they should work without T-nuts. There is a plastic ledge on the toe box that goes into the toe block, so the force is not just on the screws buit rather on the ledge itself.

However, don't take me for granted, maybe some of the pros can confirm? Phil, Bordy?

The RTRs have this exact same design.

Its better to be safe than sorry though.

T-nut for sure.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like the difference in toe drag is so minimal they should just mold them with a DIN toe.:confused:

Then Fin could build us multi-glisse types a DIN Fintec:biggthump

I ski in boardboots all the time, it's just a biahtch to bend over and set the heel piece.

Maybe I should cannibalize the old supercomps & make my own heel pads?