Note to New Members ×

Umm...Cleaning Water Bladder?

crazyTKDsquirrel

Hey guys, I have a camelbak bladder that needs some serious cleaning. I can see all sorts of green nastyness in the bite valve. It's pretty knarly. :biggthump

Have you guys ever used the cleaning kit that camelbak sells? Does it work? How have you guys cleaned yours?

Thanks for any advice :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Star-San,-8-oz-(237mL)---Sanitizer-For-Beer,-Wine..._W0QQitemZ360154973910QQcmdZViewItem

is what I'd reccomend

also in a pinch you could use acidified bleach, a couple people have had misconceptions about acidified bleach when I mentioned thinking that it's gonna create chlorine gas or something but that's bleach and amonia.

here's a link http://www.microchemlab.net/biodefense.htm

the tools in that kit should be good. as far as bite valve go they are cheap to replace and other brands are sometimes superior.

if you get in the habit of flushing the thing out after use with acidified bleach I'm guessing this is what you'd opt for being the cheapest in particular since you'd be able to find bleach, water and vinegar at any grocery store.

also, just about any home brew store will have sodium percarbonate powder, would also work great for your application

You can go Bob's route for $17 and take your chances, but I don't think you can ever get it clean again if you've let it go funky. Get a new one for $25 shipped here: http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAM0158/CamelBak-Omega-HydroTanium-Hydration-Reservoir.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=CAM0158&mv_pc=r126

This is why I never fill mine with anything but water anymore. Sugar in the tank is terrible unless you are extraordinarily religious about cleaning it every time... and lets face it, your question suggests you aren't. Some people on mtbr.com also suggest throwing the CB in the freezer after every use, but I don't know whether you have access to one.

You can go Bob's route for $17 and take your chances, but I don't think you can ever get it clean again if you've let it go funky. . . . This is why I never fill mine with anything but water anymore. Sugar in the tank is terrible unless you are extraordinarily religious about cleaning it every time...

True that.

It sounds like you need to toss the bite valve at the Very least (I always keep a couple spares anyway in case one tears or leaks) And most likely the tube, And quite probably the bladder...

I also run nothing but clean water in mine (use a bottle for mixes) and since my wife don't like the idea of storing the bladder in the freezer, I Every Time I Use It instead remove the bite valve, drain it out completely and use a rack I made that lets air circulate as it hangs.

keep in mind that most of the bladder designs have changed, so if it's old, you may need a new hawg, mule or what ever your favorite flavor pack to go with it

good news is, they're all on sale now so you can likely pick up a whole new hydro-pak for what a bladder alone would cost.

Mouth piece I use plastic tooth picks to dislodge and scrape.

To clean the hose. I get an 8' length of cotton string, feed it thru tube. If tube is dry it should be able to work thru but if wet you may need to weight some fishing line and drop thru.

I then tie the string to a door knob and work the tube back and forth at heavy angles to rubbed the accumulation from the walls of the tube. You have to move along the string once crud starts to build up on it be sure not to rub through the hose itself so I sorta roll it whie moving it back and forth. it doesng et 100% but get s a majoirty of it.

Just never fill with anything other than vodka. Heck, I've had the same exact unit for over 8 years. (replaced the bite valve 3 times, the hose twice and replaced the bladder once)

all kidding aside... I use the cleaning kit. It came with a nice long snake brush that does a good job of getting the tube clean. No doorknobs required. It also provided a bushier brush good for getting into the bladder. I don't think I'd ever try to use the tube brush to get into MY bladder, though.

The funny thing is that I've never put anything in the bladder except water. I never did let it dry after use, so that would explain the growth. I'll check out Sports Authority to see if they're on special. I've been wanting a bigger bladder anyways. :rolleyes: The 1.5 liter doesn't cut if for me.

The funny thing is that I've never put anything in the bladder except water. I never did let it dry after use, so that would explain the growth. I'll check out Sports Authority to see if they're on special. I've been wanting a bigger bladder anyways. :rolleyes: The 1.5 liter doesn't cut if for me.

like the others said, replace the bite valve.

even if you're running plain water still flush it out pretty often. with or without a sanitizer.

You can go Bob's route for $17 and take your chances, but I don't think you can ever get it clean again if you've let it go funky. Get a new one for $25 shipped here: http://www.backcountry.com/store/CAM0158/CamelBak-Omega-HydroTanium-Hydration-Reservoir.html?CMP_ID=SH_FRO001&CMP_SKU=CAM0158&mv_pc=r126

This is why I never fill mine with anything but water anymore. Sugar in the tank is terrible unless you are extraordinarily religious about cleaning it every time... and lets face it, your question suggests you aren't. Some people on mtbr.com also suggest throwing the CB in the freezer after every use, but I don't know whether you have access to one.

I agree....I kept mine in the refrigerator, though, when I kept water in it. I usually dump out the water now and hang it on a the drier rack. I still have my Camelbak I bought in 1992 and I'd still use it if it hadn't come in a plain pocket-free fabric sleeve. If you want to have Gatorade, I usually fill a smaller bike bottle that fits in the cage on my bike. They're far easier to clean.