Note to New Members ×

Summer Quiver

Gecko

How about one of the new Jailbaits? (toe-cutter?)

I have a new Jailbait (3rd board in from the left) and I believe (depending on construction) they fall in that price range as well....the Lambchop is the board I like for speed these days my Jailbait is more of a slash and slide board now

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the Sodafactory AKA CandySpanks, Clutch, Airotica is in Bristol RI, I live in Westerly RI....the distance is about 50 miles, Rus is a friend and he makes very nice boards. That last one is too nice for me but my younger brother has some disposable capital and wanted a new board for land paddling. He's shipping the parts to me and I'm assembling it and giving to him for his birthday so to alleviate questions from his wife (he thinks anyway)

Beautiful longboard!! Hate to be the one to "Ding" it for the first time.

So, Rus will build "CandySpanks" branded boards still? Some of the past threads have said the brand was done?

Very nice work!!

PS. The wife is probably smarter than that:eplus2: :biggthump:eek:

yeah other than standing on it in my living room I will not be trying it out...no way am I gonna be the one to scratch it

Rus builds his classic shapes (in lots of forms) and the modern ones in simple unadorned form as CandySpanks. He is planning on relaunching CandySpanks sometime this summer, I'm assuming completely classic shapes....right now I ask that all the boards he builds for me be Candy Spanks mostly because I want simple construction

PS you are probably right....I own up to all mine though I don't parade them

so its really not needed unless you're running GS or SuperG ? (6 wheeler)

Right. Not necessarily "needed", just an option for more traction.

I've seen some used in DH as well.

any comments on that? (benefits?)

I'm not a hardcore down-hiller, so I'll just give you a quote from another website from some guy who knows something aboot DH:

Wherever you put a double-truck setup, there are two sets of bushings to lean into. It's stiffer and doesn't turn as easily as a single truck that has only one set of bushings. This can be bad for steering, but good for stability. In Downhill and Streetluge, there are no really tight turns to worry about, and so you can get away with having a double-front setup. You put your weight more forward into the turns and can get extra traction and stability up front.

On slalom boards however, you probably aren't going to want to ride a double-front setup because it will be very hard to turn and the back end will still tend to slide out. If you put only one truck in the front and double the back, you can now steer around the cones and get the stability and traction and drive off of the rear.

How's this for a downhill schwheeler?

db5_pic04.jpg

Any specific precision truck you would recommend?

I like the Surf-Rodz but those dont come in slalom sizes...do they?

If you're talking Slalom specific precision trucks, there are only 4 brands currently comercially available that I know of: G.O.G., Radikal, Virage, and Airflow (rear only).

Splitfires are no longer in production, but you can get those used at times.

I have personally ridden GOG's, Airlows and Splitfires a lot, and would recommend any of them.

I've ridden a Radikal a little bit, and they're great trucks too. A little less user-friendly than the others but otherwise great.

I have no experience with the Virage trucks.

I'm sure that any of the above would be more than adequate if you want to drop the $...

I wouldn't want to try to side that thing... :eek:

Any particular one you would recommend for rear? Or front?

I like the look of the radikal's...interesting hanger design.

(I think they are radikals...)

I like the narrowest I can get (bennett 4.3 atm)

Any particular one you would recommend for rear? Or front?

I like the narrowest I can get (bennett 4.3 atm)

Like I said, any of them would be more than adequate. I have a GOG front, and Airflow and Splitfire rears. (Along with a Bennett and an Ace with modified with spherical bearings for the front, and a Paris and a couple of Randals with sphericals added.)

If you think you'd like spherical bearings in your back truck, there's Radikal, GOG and 161.

If you think you'd rather not have sphericals in your back truck, there's Virage, Airflow, or Splitfire if you can get one used. (Though I think it's Splitfire version III that does have a spherical in the hanger.)

All the front trucks have at least a spherical in the hanger. They're all going to ride pretty much alike, with very slight differences, depending on which model you choose.

The "ultimate" setup would be the adjustable GOG's... You can easily adjust steering angles by removing / replacing one bolt instead of pulling the entire truck off and changing wedges.

I believe all of them are as narrow as a 4.3, and probably narrower. All of them have the ablility to be spaced to different widths with spacers, or replacing the axles with different lengths.

what is the benefit of spherical bearings? (they replace the pivot cup right?)

On some trucks they replace the pivot cup, and they also reside in between the bushings in the hanger, with the kingpin running through the bearing.

Lower friction, so your truck action is dictated solely by your bushings, not the stiction of the pivot cup.

There is also hanger play inside the pivot cup..If you've ridden with a totally worn out pivot cup, you know what I mean. The bearings basically eliminate this.

Like the king said, spherical bearings eliminate any slop in the truck caused by the pivot cup, or by the bushings allowing movement "back and forth" around the kingpin. They make a truck more "precise".

Ghetto Bennett with sphericals:

angdpd.jpg

1441i6r.jpg

1z71u10.jpg

...really?

I was expecting some complex response or something...

It seems like the extra wheels would also increase surface area touching the road meaning it would be a bit slower.

Does it feel any different than just using one rear truck?

Something to keep in mind, the greater surface area contacting the road means there is less deformation of the wheel, which could in theory translate to LESS wasted energy.

(Though I think it's Splitfire version III that does have a spherical in the hanger.)
Splitfire R3 does not have a spherical in the hanger, the Splitfire Pro does. The R3 is by far my favorite hybrid and GS truck, up front with a wedged 50° baseplate (and some mods to the hanger) and in the back with a slightly dewedged 28° baseplate. :1luvu:

That being said, I'm one of the rare ones who likes it as a front truck but it sure works for me.

Something to keep in mind, the greater surface area contacting the road means there is less deformation of the wheel, which could in theory translate to LESS wasted energy.

And the greater surface area also allows one to run harder duro wheels, which is also "supposed" be faster, yet maintain similar traction of softer duro wheels.

Splitfire R3 does not have a spherical in the hanger, the Splitfire Pro does. The R3 is by far my favorite hybrid and GS truck, up front with a wedged 50° baseplate (and some mods to the hanger) and in the back with a slightly dewedged 28° baseplate. :1luvu:

That being said, I'm one of the rare ones who likes it as a front truck but it sure works for me.

Thanks for the clarification Mig. I own a Splitfire, but I don't even know what version it is, and couldn't remember all the distinctions between the versions....

So how can someone mod their bennetts for sphericals?

Or is it better to just get a precision truck?

Keep in mind, between me and my dad we have;

2 pairs of 4.3's

2 pairs of 5.0's

1 pair of 6.0's

...you get the picture.

So how can someone mod their bennetts for sphericals?

Or is it better to just get a precision truck?

Keep in mind, between me and my dad we have;

2 pairs of 4.3's

2 pairs of 5.0's

1 pair of 6.0's

...you get the picture.

you take:

trucks + big honkin' drill bits + dremmel tool + spherical bearings + jb weld + epoxy + some time and creativity + the possibility of screwing up the trucks = ghetto spherical Bennett. (Unless you're a machinist with a Machine shop, then it might be easy.)

If you've got $ to throw around and want a precision / spherical truck that will perform like a Bennett, buy a Virage "Vite". Definitely faster and eaiser.

SKVIR105F.jpg

^^^

James Peters (pavedwave.org) father of LDP, helped design/test some of the Virage trucks along with many of the users/posters at pavedwave.

They were put through the test of LDP, which Radikals suck at - they break down really easily and bearings get stuck/rusted on them.

There were other features too. In general, LDP and slalom trucks have a lot of general basics in common, although for LDP applications, precision trucks are a bit of overkill.

Mig helped me mod my 90mm R3 for use on front - made all the difference in the world. I use it spaced to 110mm for big fast GS and above, in conjunction with a R3 107mm spaced to 121mm. Thanks Mig. :)

My brother has added this to his quiver....well he will be adding it as soon as he figures out how to explain it to his wife....until then I get to joy ride it up and down my block, it sure is fun....

JasonsSofa.jpg

My brother has added this to his quiver....well he will be adding it as soon as he figures out how to explain it to his wife....until then I get to joy ride it up and down my block, it sure is fun....

Ride it like it's a RENTAL! :eek:

Maybe if you scratch it up a little, it'll be easier for him to explain to the wife: "I got a killer deal on this really nice USED Candyspanks... I couldn't pass it up....."

I just buy lots of gear for my kids. 9-year-olds absolutely NEED precision trucks, right? ;)

a dad richer than yours

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Andrea, you made so many boards already, maybe time to look into home made trucks? :D

Geco, that's a really cool board! Does it have clear grip, or it still needs to be gripped?

Geco, that's a really cool board! Does it have clear grip, or it still needs to be gripped?

Gravity Clear grip since that's the only clear griptape that works....

I've spent enough time on it to know that I need to have one though not this year. I am searching for a fabric (for a topsheet) and a sheet of Koa (for the bottom) to have Rus press me one this winter