Note to New Members ×

A Basin?

Cindy Kleh

I'll be in Moab this weekend. Maybe the next week. It should be open until June. Montezuma Bowl is in great shape! And they should pick up some new snow this week.

On the 23-24th of May: 8th Annual Festival of the Brewpubs & Shakin at the Basin May Concert Series.

I hadn't been to the Basin in a year and I was impressed with the improvements. There's even a tunnel under the highway for pedestrians.

What is the deal with this place in the spring? They close almost 2 months after the big places....is it up and running with lifts and grooming or is it more a skin up with your AT or tele stuff kind of thing? Do people plan trips in April or May? Seems like an easy way to stretch the season by MONTHS!

OK... now I'm really curious. How easy is it to get to A-basin from Denver? I can get a low mile Fequent Flier ticket to Denver and slum it from there. Are there shuttles or would I have to rent a car? I'm just not ready for the season to end. My biggest concern??? the fact that I'm a flatlander and A-basin has so much vert. Should I just stay home?

AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!

but their agreements with the forest service and the natural migration of skiers after Easter causes them to close mid April. A Basin will stay open until there is no snow left :biggthump

the forest service agreement myth is such BS and pervasive in all resort towns in CO that I have been to. it's baseless other than the actual date the ski area decides on, the forest service will let the ski areas operate as long as they want for the most part.

I've talked about this very thing with a executive from ASC, he was very firm that the areas make the call on how long they stay open, it's purely financial and that the reason you hear the lease thing come up is to diffuse anger from pissed off townies that have season passes. a classic case of passing the buck.

their leases do expire, whenever they negotiate them to.

I agree with Bobdea. The resorts decide when to close. Breck used to stay open well into late May. Keystone and Copper used to stay open much later too. This year, almost all of the resorts closed sooner than usual. So, ya, it's the almighty dollar that rules, not the snow conditions.

Closing dates -- well, with Vail Resorts, it's always on the 3rd Sunday of April that will be closing date. FS or not, I have no idea. Haven't really got around to ask if its true or not.

Me, I personally can use a break from working on the snow and already am anxious to off-season at Vail.

Basin -- I'm interested to go on weekends but I'm still waiting on myt ruck on whether it's done being repaired.

Cindy -- hi. long time no see. :)

Yo Ink,

Sorry, Charlie don't surf on weekends. But I will be going out next mid-week and hanging with Sean (Donek) again and the Steamboat team.

Be ready for spring type conditions. You know the drill. Freaking hard as a rock at 9 am, gets good at 10-ish, then goo starting at 1-ish.

Yo Ink,

Sorry, Charlie don't surf on weekends. But I will be going out next mid-week and hanging with Sean (Donek) again and the Steamboat team.

Be ready for spring type conditions. You know the drill. Freaking hard as a rock at 9 am, gets good at 10-ish, then goo starting at 1-ish.

I may be out on Monday the 11th. What days are you folks riding?

Ink