Note to New Members ×

converting a old snowboard to mono

biggerwrangler

36 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

Using non-release bindings looks like an awesome way to hyper-extend both knees at once... :confused::eek:

Debates about both ski bindings and non-release bindings advantages and disadvantages on monoski fora and commercial websites. Generally considered overall safer than skiing for knees, especially if a knee strap is used  to limit lateral spread of knees in falls. Lots to read out there. Monoskiers are a bunch of lunatic enthusiasts, a community much like alpine snowboarders.:-) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lowrider said:

Lets see someone come up with a single plate that captures both boots but is mounted to a single releasable binding. 

I was toying with that idea since long ago, but don't have enough interest in mono to actuay do it... 

It might be appicable to alpine snowboards too. My Kessler 185 could have survived that thumble few years ago, if I had the releasable system... 

I’ve had a few, from 1980’s pintails to a modern carver with early rise nose. 
They’re fun but your friends might not want you pulling up to them on the hill ;-)

If you have solid bindings around, why not? But T-nut them in, period! 
If you pick up alpine bindings avoid the diagonal toe release which suffer from prerelease in mono. 
Install them with brakes, then cut one side off (to pedal to the lift). 
You could extend the length of the remaining brake. The board has so much lift and direction that two brakes often just slow it down. A single side brake turns it across the fall line. Use a leash in powder. 

Although my current plank carves as well as 120 waisted powder skis it’s a poor tool for the job. You might find the wife waiting until the groomers soften deeper or preferring different runs. I think they shine in heavy spring corn snow where you can ride surf style. Fast cruising open spaces and the steeps. Also in black diamond moguls when regular skis are punching through. 

In firm snow you make the opposite movement of alpine skis. Lifting the outside foot while rolling onto (the outside edge of) the inside foot in a coordinated fashion feels like lifting your toes on a heelside snowboard turn. Think of lifting at the knee and rotating around the other rather than from your feet. There’s other weird stuff you can do. 

Poles help! Maybe a grip length longer than alpine for balance and crossing flats. Otherwise I avoid pole plants monoskiing, along with the unpleasant wiggling turns you see in videos. My 2 cents. 

• Thanks 1