Note to New Members ×

Any carve board softer than a 96 Burton Alp 150cm?

mookihouse

Burton's e decks/e series are considerably softer than the Burton's Alp line. I ride a 163 e deck and my wife rides a 156. We like these decks on powder days and when we want to go poke around in the bumps and crud. We found these to be good boards to learn to carve on too - forgiving and fun.

I did a quick search - a 148 is for sale on eBay. Here is a link: 148 e series

The 163 has a side cut radius of 9.17

156 side cut radius is 8.97

148 = 8.58

The serial number on that E Deck seems to indicate it is from 1994. Looking at the pictures it is likely to be quite beaten up.

I just want something soft and narrow to carve on. Would a Donek Pilot 152cm or a Prior 4WD 154cm softer than an Alp 150cm? I know the three boards are different types/shapes but there are nothing else I saw available for small riders. Would they be too long for a 90-lb kid?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

The serial number on that E Deck seems to indicate it is from 1994. Looking at the pictures it is likely to be quite beaten up.

I just want something soft and narrow to carve on. Would a Donek Pilot 152cm or a Prior 4WD 154cm softer than an Alp 150cm? I know the three boards are different types/shapes but there are nothing else I saw available for small riders. Would they be too long for a 90-lb kid?

Thanks again for everyone's input.

If you want to spend a little money. Either the Donek or Prior can be made to your spec. Call those guys up and talk to them about your needs. They can help get you the right board, with the right flex, for you. Either will be FAR better than the Burton option.

And yes, the 1994 e-decks were spongey noodles, even when new. They were basically soft normal snowboards made in a cruiser alpine shape.

Quote from Prior was over $1000 for a custom board. Everyone here are buying/selling used $250 decent carve boards. Why nothing for someone 90-lb???? :mad:

Alpine snowboarding is a fringe discipline of snowboarding. Unlike mainstream snowboarding, which only in the past 5 years has had real gender specific/lightweight gear, there has been little demand for such specific gear. Most alpine riders are average to above average sized athletic men. There aren't a ton of women and kids out there riding this stuff. Most that do seem to race, which means they are buying very specific boards in the first place.

Donek has stepped up to the plate and addressed this issue and does offer the Pilot made for lightweight riders, which might be what you want.

http://www.donek.com/01_products/pilot.htm

I'd seriously consider that option over any 10-15 year old Burton. I'd also call Sean at Donek and talk to him about your specific needs and what is right for you. One of the many advantages of buying from smaller/custom manufacturers is having open communication with the person making your board. Try that with Burton.

A full custom board will cost more ($1000'ish seems about right) but you'll get a better product that will last longer and you'll enjoy more in the long run.

oxy

don't know, but I bet this is softer than an alp. I have a 163 alp, and it's stiff. Great to train on - makes for many demanding turns per run.

It's actually pretty stiff. About the same as an FP of the same length.

I wouldn't reccomend it for anyone under 140lbs, unless they were a solid rider and knew how to flex it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280321701812

BobD

The softest Pilot is the 147cm. It's spec is very close to the 96 Alp. You think someone at Donek actually "know" if the Pilot is softer than the Alp?

96 Alp Donek Pilot

Length 150cm 147cm

Eff Edge 129cm 130cm

SCR 8.46m 8.0m

Waist 19.5cm 19.5cm

I'm sure a talk with Sean would be very enlightening. Give it a try.

I got in touch with Sean about the Pilot.

When I carve on my softy setup I tend to skid out (poor edge hold?) and also wish the board is narrower. I like the narrower Alp but it is too stiff. I figure it may be easier to find a softer carve board than a 19cm waist freeride board.

I'm not blaming it all on the equipment. My skill needs a lot of improvement too.

Is there any non-custom built carve board softer than a 96 Burton Alp 150cm?

I love :1luvu: soft boards. Take a look for an AIRWALK FORCE 157 or 167.

Also the SNOWJAM RIOT is failry soft as well.

Almost effortless ride and definately manageable for a lighter rider ( Im 150#s)

Is there any non-custom built carve board softer than a 96 Burton Alp 150cm?

I currently ride an Alp 150 with Burton plate bindings. I'm female, 5'1", 106 lbs, but very strong. I don't mind stiff boards at all, and actually prefer them, but when shopping for a used board in an appropriate length, all that I could find (within my meager, ski bum budget) was this Alp that was hardly used at a resale shop nearby for $100. I'm a newbie carver but have been a solid snowboarder with good technique for many years. (Let's just say that I'm "middle aged but I can rip.") I started learning to carve two seasons ago on a borrowed, very stiff 156 (I think) Option board. I immediately fell in love with it and started looking for used gear.

My soft boot setups include:

• Sapient PNB3 151 (which I LOVE :1luvu: it is stiff, light and fast)

• Nitro Black Wido 147 (it's too d#$n short though I love the stiffness)

• Burton G-Twin 152 (love it for the park, but it's getting beat as I use it for teaching too)

• Burton Feelgood 152 (my old and trusty)

• And some old clunkers that I won't mention.

I ride very stiff Salomon soft boots on all of the above, (forgive me, but I have no clue what model they are, I forgot and it doesn't say on the boot anywhere that I can see without my reading glasses...) and Blax Heidi's on my Alp. I love my hard boots, no complaints there, and my boyfriend is a bootfitter and orthotics guy, so truly, my feet are happy.

Of course, I'm living the ski bum lifestyle here in VT, (e.g. regular meals are not always possible, let alone buying a custom board!) but I'm committed to getting better at carving and really want a stiffer board that will work well for someone who doesn't weigh much.

Can anybody help?

Mookiehouse - did you get any emails about this topic which aren't posted which might be useful?

Thanks guys.

I have 2 brand new boards I bought for my wife, expecting that she would start snowboarding years ago. It ain't going to happen. We're going to buy her a new pair of K2 Phat Luvs instead. I have a Burton Amp 4 that we're going to keep for her that's been slightly used, if she ever changes her mind.

The new boards are

2000 Burton Coil 147. I still use a 156 Coil on all but the hardest days, and up to 6" of fresh. Deeper than it gets to be a bit of a struggle. Really a fun board. I have Burton Alps, Factory Primes, Ultra Primes and have had an EDeck (which I didn't like), and the Coil is the most versatile.

Specs for the 147 Coil are:

1465 overall length

2110 running length

1250 effective edge

195 waist width

23 sidecut dept7.97 sidecut radius

80 to 150 lb rider weight.

Oxygen Proton 149 (around 2000)

Don't have the specs off hand.

Let me know if these are of any interest.

post-997-141842278567_thumb.jpg